ECU READY TO SHIP

Quote:Honda should never have put us in this position!
What position? OK, before you answer that, let's keep it clean lads and lassies:). I don't understand, but I am willing to "take ownership". I put myself in this position, and happily so. If I'd wanted to go faster I would have bought that Brutale.

Cheers
 
You don't understand Ptero...we ' mericans don't like to be told we can't ... and sure as heck don't like to be walked on a leash electronically. We value freedom above all else over here. Even if it is illegal or gets us killed. ;)
 
Of course there's another way of looking at this. Honda, knowing its market, realised there'd be a heap of people cheesed off about the speed limiter. They understood it would provide them with hours of harmless fun working out how to get around it.

Worked, eh? :)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You don't understand Ptero...we ' mericans don't like to be told we can't ... and sure as heck don't like to be walked on a leash electronically. We value freedom above all else over here. Even if it is illegal or gets us killed. ;)
Acknowledged, copied and filed for generations to come :thumbsup:
 
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You don't understand Ptero...we ' mericans don't like to be told we can't ... and sure as heck don't like to be walked on a leash electronically. We value freedom above all else over here. Even if it is illegal or gets us killed. ;)
Acknowledged, copied and filed for generations to come :thumbsup:
Acknowledged, copied and filed for generations to come :thumbsup:
Yeh, your right. I guess there is too much conformity in me. Us Aussies are noted for that :)

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
You don't understand Ptero...we ' mericans don't like to be told we can't ... and sure as heck don't like to be walked on a leash electronically. We value freedom above all else over here. Even if it is illegal or gets us killed. ;)
Acknowledged, copied and filed for generations to come :thumbsup:
Acknowledged, copied and filed for generations to come :thumbsup:
Yeh, your right. I guess there is too much conformity in me. Us Aussies are noted for that :)

Cheers
Like a flock of sheep I'm told :cool:
 
We have sheep here in America also... Not going into the political or labor realms with this. But some groups are even told where they can shop and who they are too vote for... So there are sheep and conformity here in America as well.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Yea lets not go there. Done with the sheep talk and back to the ECU talk please (I admit fault for the derailment)
 
Yeh I admit fault too. I should have put it this way:

I look at it like this, this is but one the attributes and limitations of this particular motorcycle. ( all motorcycles have some limitations, for instance, none will run 250 miles per hour ( in this case ALL motorcycles are speed limited by European mandate), none can stop from 100 mph in 30 feet, none can attain at 75 degree lean angle etc) so no matter what motorcycle you buy you will be asked to accept limitations. If those limitations are more than you are willing to accept then I would urge you not to buy that particular motorcycle. The limitations of the CB 1100 were not enough to keep me from buying one. I accept it's limitations. If however my plan was to road race or drag race the CB 1100, then it's current limitations would be unacceptable to me, and i would have passed it over for some other motorcycle whose attributes would be more in line with it's intended purpose.

I am sure ferret would agree.

All OK now :) ? Cheers
 
The thing to me is ... After buying our bikes we find out and share on this forum about the speed limiter and we either live with it or it doesn't matter anyway or some try to change it. But out there in motorcycle-Ville how are they going to know about it and have a chance to decide if that's what they want?. Honda continues to be deceptive about this by not including it in spec sheets or published documents. We should have been given easy access to all the information needed ahead of time to make up our mind, just like information about curb weight, wheelbase, etc that they use to sell their product.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
The thing to me is ... After buying our bikes we find out and share on this forum about the speed limiter and we either live with it or it doesn't matter anyway or some try to change it. But out there in motorcycle-Ville how are they going to know about it and have a chance to decide if that's what they want?. Honda continues to be deceptive about this by not including it in spec sheets or published documents. We should have been given easy access to all the information needed ahead of time to make up our mind, just like information about curb weight, wheelbase, etc that they use to sell their product.
True. I haven't bought another late model (post 2000) bike apart from the CB. Any other Hondas, exported that is, share these limiters?

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
The thing to me is ... After buying our bikes we find out and share on this forum about the speed limiter and we either live with it or it doesn't matter anyway or some try to change it. But out there in motorcycle-Ville how are they going to know about it and have a chance to decide if that's what they want?. Honda continues to be deceptive about this by not including it in spec sheets or published documents. We should have been given easy access to all the information needed ahead of time to make up our mind, just like information about curb weight, wheelbase, etc that they use to sell their product.
True. I haven't bought another late model (post 2000) bike apart from the CB. Any other Hondas, exported that is, share these limiters?

Cheers
I haven't heard of any others that retain the 112 mph / 180 kph limiter required for the Japanese Domestic Market.

The top of the line speed bikes like the Haybusa, ZX-14, etc... have a well known speed limiter at 186 mph / 300 kph. This limit was agreed upon by the big four Japanese manufacturers for safety reasons, and to put an end to the "top speed" arms race. Those limiters are well known and are routinely bypassed by owners of those bikes who are brave (crazy?) enough to want to exceed 186 mph.

As a side note, while I was flying around yesterday I realized that even with its speed limiter, a Hayabusa could go faster than the "Never Exceed" redline speed on my plane. At 170 mph, my bird will start shedding parts.:s
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
The thing to me is ... After buying our bikes we find out and share on this forum about the speed limiter and we either live with it or it doesn't matter anyway or some try to change it. But out there in motorcycle-Ville how are they going to know about it and have a chance to decide if that's what they want?. Honda continues to be deceptive about this by not including it in spec sheets or published documents. We should have been given easy access to all the information needed ahead of time to make up our mind, just like information about curb weight, wheelbase, etc that they use to sell their product.
True. I haven't bought another late model (post 2000) bike apart from the CB. Any other Hondas, exported that is, share these limiters?

Cheers
I haven't heard of any others that retain the 112 mph / 180 kph limiter required for the Japanese Domestic Market.

The top of the line speed bikes like the Haybusa, ZX-14, etc... have a well known speed limiter at 186 mph / 300 kph. This limit was agreed upon by the big four Japanese manufacturers for safety reasons, and to put an end to the "top speed" arms race. Those limiters are well known and are routinely bypassed by owners of those bikes who are brave (crazy?) enough to want to exceed 186 mph.

As a side note, while I was flying around yesterday I realized that even with its speed limiter, a Hayabusa could go faster than the "Never Exceed" redline speed on my plane. At 170 mph, my bird will start shedding parts.:s
I haven't heard of any others that retain the 112 mph / 180 kph limiter required for the Japanese Domestic Market.

The top of the line speed bikes like the Haybusa, ZX-14, etc... have a well known speed limiter at 186 mph / 300 kph. This limit was agreed upon by the big four Japanese manufacturers for safety reasons, and to put an end to the "top speed" arms race. Those limiters are well known and are routinely bypassed by owners of those bikes who are brave (crazy?) enough to want to exceed 186 mph.

As a side note, while I was flying around yesterday I realized that even with its speed limiter, a Hayabusa could go faster than the "Never Exceed" redline speed on my plane. At 170 mph, my bird will start shedding parts.:s
Interesting. Why the CB? Maybe it is a newly developed mill rather than an evolution of an established design???

Cheers, and keep the wings on, thus ensuring Bernoulli's theorem remains useful to you.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
The thing to me is ... After buying our bikes we find out and share on this forum about the speed limiter and we either live with it or it doesn't matter anyway or some try to change it. But out there in motorcycle-Ville how are they going to know about it and have a chance to decide if that's what they want?. Honda continues to be deceptive about this by not including it in spec sheets or published documents. We should have been given easy access to all the information needed ahead of time to make up our mind, just like information about curb weight, wheelbase, etc that they use to sell their product.
True. I haven't bought another late model (post 2000) bike apart from the CB. Any other Hondas, exported that is, share these limiters?

Cheers
I haven't heard of any others that retain the 112 mph / 180 kph limiter required for the Japanese Domestic Market.

The top of the line speed bikes like the Haybusa, ZX-14, etc... have a well known speed limiter at 186 mph / 300 kph. This limit was agreed upon by the big four Japanese manufacturers for safety reasons, and to put an end to the "top speed" arms race. Those limiters are well known and are routinely bypassed by owners of those bikes who are brave (crazy?) enough to want to exceed 186 mph.

As a side note, while I was flying around yesterday I realized that even with its speed limiter, a Hayabusa could go faster than the "Never Exceed" redline speed on my plane. At 170 mph, my bird will start shedding parts.:s
I haven't heard of any others that retain the 112 mph / 180 kph limiter required for the Japanese Domestic Market.

The top of the line speed bikes like the Haybusa, ZX-14, etc... have a well known speed limiter at 186 mph / 300 kph. This limit was agreed upon by the big four Japanese manufacturers for safety reasons, and to put an end to the "top speed" arms race. Those limiters are well known and are routinely bypassed by owners of those bikes who are brave (crazy?) enough to want to exceed 186 mph.

As a side note, while I was flying around yesterday I realized that even with its speed limiter, a Hayabusa could go faster than the "Never Exceed" redline speed on my plane. At 170 mph, my bird will start shedding parts.:s
Interesting. Why the CB? Maybe it is a newly developed mill rather than an evolution of an established design???

Cheers, and keep the wings on, thus ensuring Bernoulli's theorem remains useful to you.
My guess is that the bike was originally intended for the Japanese market. When they decided to ramp up the exports they didn't bother reworking the ECU because of the relatively small number being exported (as compared the more popular sport bikes and cruisers), and the target market being mostly older riders who wouldn't care.

All of the high performance bikes that are exported have the Japanese mandated speed restrictions removed.
 
Honda engineers are very thorough and test everything intensely. That is good for all of us. They probably assumed that the US market was small for the CB1100 and that the additional testing for higher speed mods would delay delivery and raise the price. There may be other components on the CB1100 that have not been thoroughly tested at higher speeds. This is not to say they are not capable of higher speeds, only that they have not been tested by Honda.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
I think somebody should put the ECU from that Honda Jet in to a CB1100

Now that's the ticket!
Speed limited to 489 mph. :rofl:
efa0801bd78202c84bb946522507640b.jpg
Speed limited to 489 mph. :rofl:
a26f9fdc2b6725a35262dfe21e44429f.jpg
That's true airspeed so it's kind of like cheating. The real speed is a paltry 300 mph IAS. Probably redline at sea level. Just to make things fair.

http://hondajet.honda.com
 
That and the intended market; older geezers reliving their youth, would not be interested in going that fast (from many that have commented here, that was a safe bet by Honda; but it did not take into account some folks; which admittedly were NOT the target consumer). For its' intended buyer the bike is pretty much spot on and I don't think Honda intentional mislead folks or hid information from them. I'm pretty sure that if they read these forums they'd be wondering why these guys didn't just buy the CB1000R instead. After all, you don't buy a Buick expecting it to drive like a Vette.

Now if the first experimenter goes out and tops out his bricked ECU and finds out the bike looses bits at 121mph we find another reason Honda wanted to limit the speed. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
That and the intended market; older geezers reliving their youth, would not be interested in going that fast (from many that have commented here, that was a safe bet by Honda; but it did not take into account some folks; which admittedly were NOT the target consumer). For its' intended buyer the bike is pretty much spot on and I don't think Honda intentional mislead folks or hid information from them. I'm pretty sure that if they read these forums they'd be wondering why these guys didn't just buy the CB1000R instead. After all, you don't buy a Buick expecting it to drive like a Vette.

Now if the first experimenter goes out and tops out his bricked ECU and finds out the bike looses bits at 121mph we find another reason Honda wanted to limit the speed. :)
Or struggles to make 121 mph, rendering the whole operation pointless. Although I'm pretty sure these things would hit 145 unrestricted.
 
Back
Top