Eat Sleep Ride app

The reason I am asking is it has to track on a map. Unless you have maps downloaded on your device will it need the cell service to use the maps that is the question. does that make any sense.
Kevin
 
Yes, husky. That's right. It can track you without access to the cellular service, but you won't be able to display maps if you can't get a cell signal.

Here's my email exchange with the authors of the app:

Quote:Cormanus:

Hi

I've just downloaded your app and checked out the website. I'll certainly be trying it out.

I heard about it through a motorcycle forum (CB1100forum.com) where there's been a question about whether the app requires a cell service to be able to work. Am I right in thinking that you'd need a cell service to access maps to display, for CrashLight and other features that require real-time data download, but that the app will record GPS data happily so long as the device can get a GPS signal?

EatSleepRide:
... thanks for your note. I've not heard about CB1100forum.com but we're going to check it out! So to answer your question...

You don't need a data plan or cellular service to record your speed, distance and lean angle. Your device is a GPS receiver so simply using the GPS satellite we can provide you with the recorded data. When you hit a WiFi connection the data can be visualized on a map, but it will still be recorded and tracked regardless of cellular connection or not.

Secondly, you can save routes in My Garage to view them OFFLINE. So say you want to follow a route, save the route to My Garage - then you can open that route without WiFi later on. It's great if you're riding in the mountains where cellular data is limited.

CRASHLIGHT on the other hand does require cellular data, not to detect a crash but to send notifications to your emergency contacts. When a crash is detected, a three minute timer starts ticking. If you don't cancel once it reaches zero, we make a phone call, send a text message and send an email to your emergency contacts. To do that we need to send the notification to our servers which requires a cellular data connection. Basically we can detect a crash without cellular data, but we can't notify without it.
Hope that answers the question.
 
I have a regular Iphone, and I installed the app. Went for a 60 miler round trip to see my buddy out in Tomball and used the app. It does a great job of tracking the route on a map. I haven't looked at the other stat's it tracked yet, but for routing and displaying on a map, worked well for me. Appreciate the tip!
 
ride4now_imp said:
Wow... You dropped your clone just like that? Impressive!
So why do you call the Android OS a clone?

I try different things now and then. I'm not particularly a fan of any operating system over any other so it was easy to switch. :thumbsup:
I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I got when
they first came out. I never had a bit of trouble with it. It was just time to change phones. The eat sleep ride app for android just needed to be refined is all.
Kevin
 
Well I have tried twice more to install app with no luck. I give up.
 
I think it's an iphone 6. Maybe someone at the rally can show me what I'm doing wrong. It keeps telling me there is an error with my screen name or password. I re-enter and get the same message. Time after time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think it's an iphone 6. Maybe someone at the rally can show me what I'm doing wrong. It keeps telling me there is an error with my screen name or password. I re-enter and get the same message. Time after time.
That's the phone I got. It's going to a learning curve for me.
I wish I could help.
Kevin
 
Ferret, you need your Apple ID and password to download an app. Even thought you don't have to pay for it, you may also need a credit card registered with Apple.
 
Thread starter
husky385_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Wow... You dropped your clone just like that? Impressive!
So why do you call the Android OS a clone?

I try different things now and then. I'm not particularly a fan of any operating system over any other so it was easy to switch. :thumbsup:
I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I got when
they first came out. I never had a bit of trouble with it. It was just time to change phones. The eat sleep ride app for android just needed to be refined is all.
Kevin
So why do you call the Android OS a clone?

I try different things now and then. I'm not particularly a fan of any operating system over any other so it was easy to switch. :thumbsup:
I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 that I got when
they first came out. I never had a bit of trouble with it. It was just time to change phones. The eat sleep ride app for android just needed to be refined is all.
Kevin
I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs and what he did, essentially, to change the world. If one reads the history of the smart phone, it's been documented, fought over in court, and proven that Samsung stole the basic features of their phone from Apple. So since it's a copy, I call it a clone. I can't speak much to Google and they're Android platform, but its Samsung that's the real villian here. Sorry if I offended anyone... but as a big fan of Apple and Jobs I like to tease my Android friends every chance I get. It's the least I can do in his memory...
 
Well, yes, except that, in the first place, Jobs stole the whole WYSIWYG thing from Xerox so his view of what constituted stealing has always seemed pretty flexible to me. He was certainly a remarkable marketer.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Well, yes, except that, in the first place, Jobs stole the whole WYSIWYG thing from Xerox so his view of what constituted stealing has always seemed pretty flexible to me. He was certainly a remarkable marketer.
What is WYSIWYG?
 
What You See Is What You Get
 
ride4now_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Well, yes, except that, in the first place, Jobs stole the whole WYSIWYG thing from Xerox so his view of what constituted stealing has always seemed pretty flexible to me. He was certainly a remarkable marketer.
What is WYSIWYG?
What is WYSIWYG?
What You See Is What You Get.
 
Hi, I wanted to answer some questions about whether the EatSleepRIDE Motorcycle GPS app (http://app.eatsleepride.com) requires cell service to be able to work. The answer is Yes and No. To login and find maps you need WiFi or cell service. But, once you're in, there's a number of features that are super useful without cell service or WiFi.

VIEW MAPS OFFLINE
All our motorcycle road maps are free. Search for maps and then add them to My Garage (bookmark icon) at which point you can view all your maps offline by going to Menu > My Garage. This is really useful if you're riding in the mountains or you in an area with limited coverage.

TRACK YOUR RIDE
Both iOS and Android let you track your ride without a cell connection. You'll be able to track your speed, distance, elevation and lean angle without cell service. Just be sure you're logged in to the app with a connection. Tap to record your ride and all your data will be recorded with our without service. The only downside is you won't see the rendering of the map until you reach the Internet. Once you record a ride, you can also share it to the platform so other people can ride it. :worship:

CRASHLIGHT
The app uses the sensor on your device to detect a motorcycle crash and notifies contacts with your exact location. It's like OnStar for motorcycle riders but you control your safety team. The cost is $14.99 per year and you DO need cell service for CRASHLIGHT to work properly. Once a crash is detected, the app sets off a 3:00 minute timer. Once the timer reaches zero, notifications will be sent to the emergency contacts you set but we need cell service to send out the notifications.

RIDERS NEARBY & GROUP RIDE
A cool feature is Riders Nearby. We built it to make planning a ride really easy. Basically, when you're out riding, you open the app and see if your buddies are out and about. If so, message them and meet up for a ride. Or set a private ride group and only see your group on the map. You can set your location visibility to control your privacy. For these feature to work, you need cell service.

If you're riding this Memorial Day weekend download the app and give it a try... for iOS download here: http://esr.cc/ESRapp and for Android here: http://esr.cc/ridewithdroid.

Drop us a note at feedback@eatsleepride.com for questions or feedback. Enjoy the ride! :biker:

Check out Alex's review of the CB1100 here https://eatsleepride.com/c/16424/honda_cb1100_-_brand_new_youre_retro
 
Back
Top