Early 80?s handlebar clamp

Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Nice work. You can now sleep at night knowing it lines up.


Thanks.

I'm probably the only person that would notice if I didn't point it out to them...but that's not how I roll.

:biker:
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
So far so good.

I am certainly no machinist, I am just using a bench vice, a socket to keep it somewhat lined up and a Milwaukee cordless drill with a grinding bit.

I do have two large 240 V compressors and a die grinder, but I don’t wanna make a lot of noise and bother my wife and honestly for something like this slower is probably better.




72dcb79fe90b53fab7f17d2f371504df.jpg

32c342999082e0aae3b36b922eba6c2b.jpg





Still need to do the other side and then polish before spraying the clear.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and you don't even get your nails greasy...amazing.
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Desert viper_imp said:
Here is mine
Hi Desert Viper, a quick question.
Did you purposely omit the 4 chrome bolt caps or you like it better without the caps.

Regards
Alain Lee

On mine, the upper cap & lower bridge are flush (Perfect fit) Side to Side and Front to Back.
I guess HONDA can reuse older parts bins just like the horn.

6f4aa73759fbacc8693298fbc416cdd2.jpg



931e287d002eb66672817214063a4339.jpg
Hi Desert Viper, a quick question.
Did you purposely omit the 4 chrome bolt caps or you like it better without the caps.

Regards
Alain Lee

On mine, the upper cap & lower bridge are flush (Perfect fit) Side to Side and Front to Back.
I guess HONDA can reuse older parts bins just like the horn.

376c35e62166f69b11b7d25992a352ab.jpg



1269cf69cebf7a0cf488a4159efd825e.jpg
I just felt it looked more period correct with my Whitehouse K10 kit to leave them off.
 
Thread starter
I am super bummed out.

Just had some spare time to get back to this.

Got the piece where I want it 95%

Radiused the corners which was easier said than done because of a taper from the top down all the way around.

Sanded and sanded and sanded. Especially after putting black into the letters. Very fine lines, pita.

I have spent a LOT of hours on this... sacrificed a stock clamp to grid off of, lost a clamp bolt cap too. Ugh.

Was thinking I just need one more session with the next finer grit of sand paper to match, then clear enamel.

Figured I’d throw it on the bike to see what it looked like before I do that.

29036a96bf049c1bf908212e3ef3e78b.jpg



a7f9b4a5f18b717da66f22ff4c93ca47.jpg



I was NOT expecting it to be too wide.

There is no way around this. :(

Into the garbage it goes.

Will need to order a new stock clamp and bolt cap cover.

Going to pour a stiff drink.

8a8d52c6034985c3b6ad01131ccf1766.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Maybe two stiff drinks?

Bummer.
 
It's an easy item to CNC machine should there be a demand...

Happy to engineer for free and organise at cost price if we can get a group buy going?
Alain Lee_imp said:
Desert viper_imp said:
Here is mine
Hi Desert Viper, a quick question.
Did you purposely omit the 4 chrome bolt caps or you like it better without the caps.

Regards
Alain Lee

On mine, the upper cap & lower bridge are flush (Perfect fit) Side to Side and Front to Back.
I guess HONDA can reuse older parts bins just like the horn.

6f4aa73759fbacc8693298fbc416cdd2.jpg



931e287d002eb66672817214063a4339.jpg

Seems like this is the clamp from a Honda CB450 SC Nighthawk. There are a few for sale on eBay.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I am super bummed out.

Just had some spare time to get back to this.

Got the piece where I want it 95%

Radiused the corners which was easier said than done because of a taper from the top down all the way around.

Sanded and sanded and sanded. Especially after putting black into the letters. Very fine lines, pita.

I have spent a LOT of hours on this... sacrificed a stock clamp to grid off of, lost a clamp bolt cap too. Ugh.

Was thinking I just need one more session with the next finer grit of sand paper to match, then clear enamel.

Figured I’d throw it on the bike to see what it looked like before I do that.

29036a96bf049c1bf908212e3ef3e78b.jpg



a7f9b4a5f18b717da66f22ff4c93ca47.jpg



I was NOT expecting it to be too wide.

There is no way around this. :(

Into the garbage it goes.

Will need to order a new stock clamp and bolt cap cover.

Going to pour a stiff drink.

8a8d52c6034985c3b6ad01131ccf1766.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch! That's a rough one. Sorry that happened Josh. :(
 
Thread starter
Ninemeister_imp said:
It's an easy item to CNC machine should there be a demand...

Happy to engineer for free and organise at cost price if we can get a group buy going?
Alain Lee_imp said:
Desert viper_imp said:
Here is mine
Hi Desert Viper, a quick question.
Did you purposely omit the 4 chrome bolt caps or you like it better without the caps.

Regards
Alain Lee

On mine, the upper cap & lower bridge are flush (Perfect fit) Side to Side and Front to Back.
I guess HONDA can reuse older parts bins just like the horn.

6f4aa73759fbacc8693298fbc416cdd2.jpg



931e287d002eb66672817214063a4339.jpg

Seems like this is the clamp from a Honda CB450 SC Nighthawk. There are a few for sale on eBay.
I’m in.

28203662b274867c98e24e9e3651ef98.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Alain Lee_imp said:
Desert viper_imp said:
Here is mine
Hi Desert Viper, a quick question.
Did you purposely omit the 4 chrome bolt caps or you like it better without the caps.

Regards
Alain Lee

On mine, the upper cap & lower bridge are flush (Perfect fit) Side to Side and Front to Back.
I guess HONDA can reuse older parts bins just like the horn.

6f4aa73759fbacc8693298fbc416cdd2.jpg



931e287d002eb66672817214063a4339.jpg
I have an ‘85 cb450sc next to my ‘14 cb1100 in the garage; I’ll check fitment next time I’m home.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Powerdubs you have the coolest MC aesthetic.


Thanks man- I appreciated the support.

I didn't create anything though.. just trying to replicate the feeling from my favorite bike from my younger years. Which oddly enough was a Kawasaki KZ750 LTD. The Honda CB Custom series is pretty much the same.

Not sure why more people don't like that vibe.
 
I can surely appreciate it. This is the bike I wish I never sold. I still look for a Sunburtst metalflake orange 1975 CB750F. This was my first vintage and first restoration. I'm a lil order and my tastes have changed some. My 13 CB1100 still brings me back to those days
e2e311dda7137df511379c65d94e0222.jpg
3f77bd48521576dceb097d0996506247.jpg


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top