Ear Plug recommendation

drodg33

Been there
Thread starter
I ride with an Arai helmet (full face) and recently added a Marlin to my CBDLX. I probably could use some ear plugs and wondering what you guys recommend as good comfortable ear plugs? Thanks
 
i started with foam ear plugs. then tried some of the plastic mushroom type plugs.
ended up getting ( and recommend ) custom ear plugs.
well worth the investment. i have had the same pair since 2004. (thats over 11 years)
i got mine from Big Ear — Custom Hearing Protection | Built for Your World.
got them done at the NY IMS show. had an issue with one of them. went to them a few months later at daytona bike week and they replaced them free of charge.
highly recommend this company.
my wife got them done at americade. she uses them to help her sleep in addition to riding.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the information. I went to their sight and the one provider is about 80 miles away. Interesting.
 
I have tried foam ear plugs. With the foam I could hear myself, breathing, swallowing and could hear my heartbeat. Many times I have taken off with them but stop and pull them out after a few miles. They block too much noise for me.
I need plugs that let some noise in. I took gel ear plugs with me to the rally but never used them.
 
I went to a local hearing place and got fitted for custom musician earplugs. The cost was around 100 bucks at the end. They were fitted for my ear, work great, and have lasted for years. Plus you get the fun feeling of some soft play-doh like substance in your ears for a bit. Mine fit great, however I was told if they were off they could redo them for free if needed.

I have zero regrets about buying them. I previously had used the compress and expand in ear kind, however should those get loose you have to pull over and start again. This is much easier, pop em in, ride a few hundred miles, take em out and that's it.
 
I keep a supply of Hearos foam earplugs on both bikes. I usually only use them for longer rides. The blue (Xtreme) ones with the Noise Reduction Rating of 33 dB work the best for me. I can still hear traffic, but it mutes the constant wind noise you get on the highway. I just got some from Amazon. Forty two pair for around $12. They're a bit more expensive at the local Walgreens or CVS.
 
Too cheap to do custom so I've used the denser orange 3M plugs commonly sold at wood working shops and lumber yards. They work very well but make my ears sore after a few hours.

A buddy tried the beeswax type, loved 'em so I tried them. Meh, I may have the wrong shaped ear canal but have yet to make them work.

Tried the mushroom plug with ribs, not as quiet and feels funny. I'd really like to use Pelter ear muffs but the helmet gets in the way. :angel:
 
I bought some Radians earplugs off of Amazon for $11. You basically just knead the two pieces together, put them in your ear for 10 minutes, and then you have a perfectly conforming earplug. Much more comfortable than any off the shelf one I've ever used for motorcycling as it doesn't stick out past your ear into the padding of the helmet.

Amazon.com
 
DJS_imp said:
i started with foam ear plugs. then tried some of the plastic mushroom type plugs.
ended up getting ( and recommend ) custom ear plugs.
well worth the investment. i have had the same pair since 2004. (thats over 11 years)
i got mine from Big Ear — Custom Hearing Protection | Built for Your World.
got them done at the NY IMS show. had an issue with one of them. went to them a few months later at daytona bike week and they replaced them free of charge.
highly recommend this company.
my wife got them done at americade. she uses them to help her sleep in addition to riding.
Does someone have a snoring problem?

:D
 
Drodg, I said this on another topic:

These have the advantage of significant noise reduction and allow you to listen to things—music or a GPS.
 
They're not cheap, but they are excellent. If you're an iDevice person they make a special model.
 
I tried my silicone ear plugs on last night ride and it was kind of weird. I thought they weren't working too well, I mean, it seemed I was still hearing wind noise. Then when I was riding past a buddy's house I hit the horn twice, but I couldn't hear the horn.Thought it quit working, so I'm bending over the bars running down the road hitting the horn and hear a faint meep meep. I rode awhile and stopped at my sons house and speaking sounded weird so I pulled them out and speaking sounded normal. So I'm handling the plugs and drop one in the driveway. not good. The silicone plug rolled around and imbedded dog hair and minuscule gravel which I couldn't get off so ear plug wasted. When I was leaving ( without ear plugs) I hit the horn for my grandson and it was nice and loud as usual.

Not sure if I like them or not, but they do seem to work somewhat.
 
I have used these for years. I buy them by the box and use them for all heavy and small equipment use as well as motorcycle ridding. They work well but you have to use a new pair each time or they tend to get hard in the canal and hurt after a couple hours. You can hear cellphones, music well with a set of flat earbuds in your helmet.

 
After trying most of the types and brands of disposable to re-usable ear plugs available over the years I ended up going to an audiologist and getting custom fitted. Worth the effort and insurance helped cover the cost.

For disposables I found the "pointy" malleable ones made out of high density foam worked well. Pick them up at an industrial supply house in a big box and save some $.

Also bought a big box of pre=packaged individual safety glass cleaner/wipes. sort of a small towelette already moistened. Carry some in every jacket for cleaning my visor while on the road.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
DJS_imp said:
i started with foam ear plugs. then tried some of the plastic mushroom type plugs.
ended up getting ( and recommend ) custom ear plugs.
well worth the investment. i have had the same pair since 2004. (thats over 11 years)
i got mine from Big Ear — Custom Hearing Protection | Built for Your World.
got them done at the NY IMS show. had an issue with one of them. went to them a few months later at daytona bike week and they replaced them free of charge.
highly recommend this company.
my wife got them done at americade. she uses them to help her sleep in addition to riding.
Does someone have a snoring problem?

:D
Does someone have a snoring problem?

:D
i don't have a problem with it.(can't hear myself snoore)
her wearing them prevents me from getting woken up in the middle of the night and getting booted to the second bedroom.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I am using the foam ones but my right side just seems to not stay in all of the way and I get quite a bit of wind noise from that side and not my left. Weird..
 
Back
Top