Ear Plug recommendation

According to what I've read, no helmet is quiet enough to stop permanent hearing damage from wind noise over 70 mph. I have never worn ear plugs in 50 years. Also shot guns as a kid, and listened to rock music in my 20's. My ears ring 24/7. Mostly I can ignore it but if I stop to listen it is annoyingly loud. You really hear it when you lay down to go to sleep.

If you can avoid that , that's good. Ear plugs will help avoid that. Too late for me really as the damage is irreparable, but maybe some can benefit from the suggestion to protect their ears.
 
JF Coastal_imp said:
So it's preventative . Thanks for the explanation !!
Yep. It's most important if you spend a lot of time at highway speeds. Noise level can reach over 100 dB at 65 mph. Continued exposure to levels above 85 dB can cause hearing loss.

Way back when I first started flying virtually no one used noise reducing headsets in training aircraft (noise levels in the 110 dB range). Just about every long time flight instructor I know has some level of hearing loss. Nowadays most every trainer is equipped with headsets and intercom systems.
 
After a long day ride yesterday my ears are ringing to the point I can't sleep. Mind you I was wearing foam ear plugs. I guess it is too late for me, damage done.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
JF Coastal_imp said:
So it's preventative . Thanks for the explanation !!
Yep. It's most important if you spend a lot of time at highway speeds. Noise level can reach over 100 dB at 65 mph. Continued exposure to levels above 85 dB can cause hearing loss.

Way back when I first started flying virtually no one used noise reducing headsets in training aircraft (noise levels in the 110 dB range). Just about every long time flight instructor I know has some level of hearing loss. Nowadays most every trainer is equipped with headsets and intercom systems.
Yep. It's most important if you spend a lot of time at highway speeds. Noise level can reach over 100 dB at 65 mph. Continued exposure to levels above 85 dB can cause hearing loss.

Way back when I first started flying virtually no one used noise reducing headsets in training aircraft (noise levels in the 110 dB range). Just about every long time flight instructor I know has some level of hearing loss. Nowadays most every trainer is equipped with headsets and intercom systems.
Thanks for this info Flynrider. Much appreciated.
 
Back
Top