Randy B
Road warrior
It didn't spit out the correct VIN for my bike. My 9th is a 3 and it said it should be a 9.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Kind of you, Ferret. I confess I had to do a fair bit of study over the weekend to figure it out. I think there must be something wrong with me, but I find I quite like it too.The ferret_imp said:My 9 th digit IS an 8.
Wow man, it's magic. The Great Cormanus...very cool! Lol
See I said you were all things VIN
This is very interesting stuff to me.
I don't think it'll be an issue. The same can happen with the 2014s as the 8th digit will be different for Std. (SC651) vs DLX (SC658). As long as the poster also states the type in the post, it should be obvious.Cormanus_imp said:Mystery indeed solved. Thanks Daley and Gossman for your help.
The next question is whether I should try to identify ABS models in the registry so duplicate North American VINs are explicable. I'm not sure it's really an issue now we understand how it can happen.
Yep. You and Daley did well protecting us from oil for a bit.gossman_imp said:Put an A next to the ABS model. Glad we can put the mystery to rest and brought some interest to something besides yhe weight of oil we should use.
The DLXs are already shown separately in the registry.Flynrider_imp said:I don't think it'll be an issue. The same can happen with the 2014s as the 8th digit will be different for Std. (SC651) vs DLX (SC658). As long as the poster also states the type in the post, it should be obvious.Cormanus_imp said:Mystery indeed solved. Thanks Daley and Gossman for your help.
The next question is whether I should try to identify ABS models in the registry so duplicate North American VINs are explicable. I'm not sure it's really an issue now we understand how it can happen.
Cormanus_imp said:At the time all this was being discussed, I said I'd found an explanation of the model codes in positions 4-8 of the VIN. I just found it again here.
If this is right, 'S' means a capacity of more than 900 cc and 'C' means it's a street bike. There is no explanation of where 65 comes from.