Duplicate VIN numbers?

It didn't spit out the correct VIN for my bike. My 9th is a 3 and it said it should be a 9.
 
It probably got confused because you put a blue tank on it.
 
Lol....oh boy. And most people think it's black. :D
 
The ferret_imp said:
My 9 th digit IS an 8.

Wow man, it's magic. The Great Cormanus...very cool! Lol

See I said you were all things VIN

This is very interesting stuff to me.
Kind of you, Ferret. I confess I had to do a fair bit of study over the weekend to figure it out. I think there must be something wrong with me, but I find I quite like it too.

Randy, all I know of your VIN is the last 4 digits—obtained from the register—but I got 3 as your checksum digit.
 
Got me.

I really don't care who has the VIN because enough VINs are posted online and I haven't heard anything about fraud regarding them soo...

JH2SC6513DK000015
 
Here in the states there still is VIN fraud especially with salvaged vehicles or when people build a bike out of a couple of trashed ones. There of course, is a national crime database, NCIC, and the insurance database, NICB, where stolen vehicles are entered by VIN. I have seen instances where the stolen vehicle information has sometimes been automatically purged from the system after many years. So, if you play with stolen motorcycles that are over say, 25 years old, you could have quite a business making expensive classic bikes.
It's harder to do with cars because there are a few additional hidden and not easily accessible places where the manufacturer stamps the VIN, but I'd guess not easy to do on an open frame architecture like a motorcycle.

Each state's titling and registration procedures vary unfortunately. A couple of states have reputations of being easy to title a vehicle when someone has no existing paperwork. Others make you go thru a police inspection to make certain you didn't attach a good VIN to a stolen bike, or even welded a frame piece with VIN plate intact onto a stolen bike that has had that frame piece removed.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, Just sent you a pm with my vin.
I just did the vin check and it said my vin is correct. I inputted gossman's with the diff ninth digit and it said not correct. What the???
 
The steering tube has the vin number stamped into it as well as the plate. Curiouser and curiouser.
I am going to take a gamble and say the confusion is here:

SC651 for the CB1100
SC655 for the CB1100A

I have an CB1100A, which has ABS, my vin is SC655

Daley has a CB1100, No ABS. I will say his must read SC651

Mystery solved
 
Mystery indeed solved. Thanks Daley and Gossman for your help.

The next question is whether I should try to identify ABS models in the registry so duplicate North American VINs are explicable. I'm not sure it's really an issue now we understand how it can happen.
 
Put an A next to the ABS model. Glad we can put the mystery to rest and brought some interest to something besides yhe weight of oil we should use.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Mystery indeed solved. Thanks Daley and Gossman for your help.

The next question is whether I should try to identify ABS models in the registry so duplicate North American VINs are explicable. I'm not sure it's really an issue now we understand how it can happen.
I don't think it'll be an issue. The same can happen with the 2014s as the 8th digit will be different for Std. (SC651) vs DLX (SC658). As long as the poster also states the type in the post, it should be obvious.
 
gossman_imp said:
Put an A next to the ABS model. Glad we can put the mystery to rest and brought some interest to something besides yhe weight of oil we should use.
Yep. You and Daley did well protecting us from oil for a bit.

Flynrider_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Mystery indeed solved. Thanks Daley and Gossman for your help.

The next question is whether I should try to identify ABS models in the registry so duplicate North American VINs are explicable. I'm not sure it's really an issue now we understand how it can happen.
I don't think it'll be an issue. The same can happen with the 2014s as the 8th digit will be different for Std. (SC651) vs DLX (SC658). As long as the poster also states the type in the post, it should be obvious.
The DLXs are already shown separately in the registry.
 
Thanks Flyn. I'd seen that page in my travels sometime ago and could never find it again.

The additional information is very helpful.
 
Back
Top