Dropped the bike today.

crutch_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Literally dropped it, while doing a U turn.
Left hand U turn from a complete stop, on a steep secondary road, sloping to the left and since it was a narrow road had the handlebars full left. Obviously didn't compensate for lean/gravity and before I knew it the bike was going down to the left.
Fortunately, a nice guy stopped immediately and helped me pick up the bike, which could have been difficult on that hill.
Engine guards did their job, no damage at all to the bike paint.
Left a paint scratch about a quarter on my road comet fairing, and snapped the clutch lever off about 1/3 of the way down.
Side stand scratched, and the rear soft saddlebag took the impact, fortunately I had my rain suit in it to pad it.
Feel relieved and grateful, first mishap on any bike, and no major damage or injuries, other than a sprained right thumb.
2 Questions.
How hard is it to change out a clutch lever?
Touching up paint on the fairing? Honda touch up paint? (does it exist)
Or just break out the Sharpie?

Thanks for any input and hope everyone is enjoying some great fall rides.

Crutch in the Ozarks.
 
Thread starter
crutch_imp said:
Literally dropped it, while doing a U turn.
Left hand U turn from a complete stop, on a steep secondary road, sloping to the left and since it was a narrow road had the handlebars full left. Obviously didn't compensate for lean/gravity and before I knew it the bike was going down to the left.
Fortunately, a nice guy stopped immediately and helped me pick up the bike, which could have been difficult on that hill.
Engine guards did their job, no damage at all to the bike paint.
Left a paint scratch about a quarter on my road comet fairing, and snapped the clutch lever off about 1/3 of the way down.
Side stand scratched, and the rear soft saddlebag took the impact, fortunately I had my rain suit in it to pad it.
Feel relieved and grateful, first mishap on any bike, and no major damage or injuries, other than a sprained right thumb.
2 Questions.
How hard is it to change out a clutch lever?
Touching up paint on the fairing? Honda touch up paint? (does it exist)
Or just break out the Sharpie?

Thanks for any input and hope everyone is enjoying some great fall rides.

Crutch in the Ozarks.
Pics. If I can figure it out.
9840b1f64d049c662f4525791a40e9fb.jpg
e6f50cb52311a4dab3298c2d64c743d5.jpg


Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
 
To change the clutch lever is not hard to do.
The clutch is handled hydraulic no cable involved.
But be aware of the small pin with the rubber mantel, it is the thing which controls the pressure of the lever to the clutch. Once I had to exchange the clutch lever because it was broken. I changed recently again for a foldable one to prevent the lever from being unluckily destroyed. I recommend a foldable one also for the brake lever. No one knows what will happen and they can help you.

Wisedrum
 
sorry it happened but it looks like you came out very well. easy fix and i bet the shop will put it on for free if you buy it from them

BTW most of us old guys rode Honda's with Clutch and Brake levers that looked like that ...........:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Wisedrum_imp said:
To change the clutch lever is not hard to do.
The clutch is handled hydraulic no cable involved.
But be aware of the small pin with the rubber mantel, it is the thing which controls the pressure of the lever to the clutch. Once I had to exchange the clutch lever because it was broken. I changed recently again for a foldable one to prevent the lever from being unluckily destroyed. I recommend a foldable one also for the brake lever. No one knows what will happen and they can help you.

Wisedrum
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that. Crutch


Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
 
Glad to read that you and, more possibly more important than that ;) , your beautiful motorcycle survived virtually unscathed.

Get that lever fixed and get back out there soon!
 
crutch_imp said:
Literally dropped it, while doing a U turn.
Left hand U turn from a complete stop, on a steep secondary road, sloping to the left and since it was a narrow road had the handlebars full left. Obviously didn't compensate for lean/gravity and before I knew it the bike was going down to the left.
Fortunately, a nice guy stopped immediately and helped me pick up the bike, which could have been difficult on that hill.
Engine guards did their job, no damage at all to the bike paint.
Left a paint scratch about a quarter on my road comet fairing, and snapped the clutch lever off about 1/3 of the way down.
Side stand scratched, and the rear soft saddlebag took the impact, fortunately I had my rain suit in it to pad it.
Feel relieved and grateful, first mishap on any bike, and no major damage or injuries, other than a sprained right thumb.
2 Questions.
How hard is it to change out a clutch lever?
Touching up paint on the fairing? Honda touch up paint? (does it exist)
Or just break out the Sharpie?

Thanks for any input and hope everyone is enjoying some great fall rides.

Crutch in the Ozarks.
You are very lucky someone stopped to help. When Miss Piggy took a nap on the side of a back county road, there was nobody around to help. I tried the right way using my legs with my butt against the seat, but my feet just slipped in the sand. After waiting another 10 minutes, I did it the hard way from the road side using my arms and legs and a lot of cussing. My back still hurts every morning I wake up. Hopefully my physiotherapy visits and back exercises will sort it out.
 
Back
Top