Does the CB1100 motor become smoother over time?

Hmm, with ~10k miles on my DLX, the high frequency buzz is still pretty noticeable right at that 3800ish rpm range. However 80mph in 6th is below that and fine, and when riding hard I generally stay above it.

Pretty sure all bikes that aren’t a gold wing have some sort of vibration in their rev range - my V7 feels quite rough under 3500, and the big twin in my Tenere prefers to be above 4k. My F800gt started to feel like it was shaking apart above 5k. Of them all, the CB has the smallest vibration range.
 
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting observation.

Does that imply after servicing the existing chain the buzziness subsides?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting observation.

Does that imply after servicing the existing chain the buzziness subsides?
Interesting observation.

Does that imply after servicing the existing chain the buzziness subsides?

From what I’ve experienced, yes. It does subside after servicing the chain. Also keeping proper air pressure in tires helps.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
 
Rossi_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
Rossi_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks That’s very interesting since on my 17 the owners manual calls for every 12k and the dealer I called quoted $675 that seemed pretty steep to me.

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Rossi_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
Rossi_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks That’s very interesting since on my 17 the owners manual calls for every 12k and the dealer I called quoted $675 that seemed pretty steep to me.

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks That’s very interesting since on my 17 the owners manual calls for every 12k and the dealer I called quoted $675 that seemed pretty steep to me.

Yeah. I believe my service manual says to check them every 8,000 miles. From what I’ve read many people check them, or pay to have them checked and they didn’t even need adjustment.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
Rossi_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!
That is some sweet talk there MMC.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
Rossi_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I ride my CB a lot! Over 53,000 miles in 3 years. I’ve found it gets “buzzy” when it’s time to clean, lube and adjust the chain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks

None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!
That is some sweet talk there MMC.
Hi MMC,
I’m curious about the valve adjustments you have seen in that many miles?
Thanks
None. Never even checked them. Still runs like a top!!
That is some sweet talk there MMC.

Lol. Yeah. Too bad most of it is commuting!!!!
a7a3147bf763eb2b7fd29d934275bc53.png


This bike has always ran great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have buzz in my grips. Grip Puppies have helped, but not eliminated my numb hands after 30-45 minutes ride time. Requent breaks are my solution.
 
DBM_imp said:
I have buzz in my grips. Grip Puppies have helped, but not eliminated my numb hands after 30-45 minutes ride time. Requent breaks are my solution.
I think some Forum members have gone to the foam-based grips. If that is something you can reckon with, it might help. Expect to maybe replace them yearly.
 
Interesting thread. On the last four obikes I have bought, the first thing I did was change the oil, and went from a full-syn to a dead-dino oil, Castrol 20W50. It made every bike run smoother, quieter, and shift better.
 
I've owned a couple of bikes that required removal of the rear mufflers to remove the rear wheel (or at least removing them made the wheel removal easier.) I'm thinking of my 2003 Triumph Bonneville, specifically.

First time I replaced the mufflers, I tightened everything to spec, and immediately encountered a lot of vibes. So, upon the advice of an old timer (older than me??) I loosened slightly (key word is slightly) the muffler mounts and clamps, rode the bike around the block several times up and down through the rev range, then re-tightened everything I'd loosened. I think this procedure allowed the pipes to find their natural resting position, instead of being in a slight bind.

This cured the vibe issue, apparently coming from the engine through the pipes, into the frame, then to me. This also happened when I replaced one of the exhaust headers and mufflers (one piece) on my 2000 W650. This is purely anecdotal. What I'm suggesting is ...... you're probably feeling engine vibes, but there may be several reasons they're being transmitted to the frame and then to you.

Some of the first BMW K bikes experienced excessive vibes, that could be partially cured with a pair of shims. This was a case of the rear engine frame mounts being slightly spread perhaps 1/8" further apart, due to irregularities in the frames from bike to bike. In this case, the frame wasn't a 'cradle' like ours, but one where the engine was a stressed member. Some of the vibes were being caused due to the frame being under tension when the right and left mounts were fully tightened. A pair of shims removed this tension. However, the vibe issue on these bikes wasn't totally eliminated until the arrival of the K1200, with full frame and rubber-mounted engine. The flopped over four (Flying Brick) wasn't counterbalanced.

Food for thought. Hope you find the problem. BTW, the K100/K1100 did get smoother with miles

Bob
 
Back
Top