Does the 2017 CB1100 actually sound this amazing in person?

VLJ_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Before you dive in VLJ, re-read your earlier posts. Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
That's true, and the other thing is these videos from Japan keep showing the various CB1100 models going around corners, one right after another. Man, do they drag pegs early. They seem to have virtually no cornering clearance. It's like watching Harleys.

Quote:Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
While watching Mr Kiddo's video again last night, plus the new-vs-old sound comparison video, I was 99% ready to do just that. I don't have the space for two bikes and can't really afford another $12k bike right now, and still I was just about ready to pull the trigger.

The lack-of-space and $$ issues are real problems, but so are the T120 and Ninja 1000 (ZX1000SX where you live, I believe). The T120 pulls at me nearly as hard as the CB does, plus I know it has more low-down punch, legroom, and ground clearance, while the sport-touring Kawi removes any and all engine performance/cornering-clearance worries.

I want all three, plus an R1200RT. I need a Jay Leno garage.

Honestly, I think I can get past the CB's lack of power and heavy-footed slow-pokiness, especially if I were to add it as a second bike while keeping the XSR900. The rest of the big CB is just that pleasing to me. I'm almost certain that I would grow to love the hell out of it over time. I am also convinced now that it won't be too buzzy for me on the freeway, which had been a major concern.

The lack of cornering clearance, though, that's a bugger. I'm not yet ready for the world of Harley-style cruiserdom, and abandoning all cornering fun.

That one worries me.
I think you should reread this review of the triumph, CB and R9T regarding handling and steering (triumph is "slow to steer", "clumsy", heavy and "steer like a truck").

As for cornering clearance, these pictures show the triumph and honda are similar but the honda has a bit better clearance I think.



 
show me pics of your XSR900 tires...and of the other side, its time for a testdrive with a 2017 cb modell
 
or if you need in every curve such a angle that you are happy with driving stay just at your XSR900..bcos thats a "" sporty "" nakedbike......
 
Yup, it sounds a bit more agressive and deeper tone compared to previous version.

VLJ_imp said:

RS instead of EX, but they share identical motor-specs and exhausts, so the two bikes ought to sound exactly the same.

Anyway, every time he blips the throttle, I can't believe that's a stock exhaust. That thing sounds absolutely perfect: deep, throaty, aggressive, snarly, but not obnoxiously loud.

I can't believe that's a stock exhaust on a modern Japanese bike!

Wow. Man, that sounds fantastic.
It's not Electronic traction control but Electronic Toll Control.
Ban_imp said:
From the you tube clip, I do not see ETC light on the RMP meter how come my RS has?
You can do a lot of cornering without worrying about lack of cornering clearance :)
VLJ_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Before you dive in VLJ, re-read your earlier posts. Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
That's true, and the other thing is these videos from Japan keep showing the various CB1100 models going around corners, one right after another. Man, do they drag pegs early. They seem to have virtually no cornering clearance. It's like watching Harleys.

Quote:Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
While watching Mr Kiddo's video again last night, plus the new-vs-old sound comparison video, I was 99% ready to do just that. I don't have the space for two bikes and can't really afford another $12k bike right now, and still I was just about ready to pull the trigger.

The lack-of-space and $$ issues are real problems, but so are the T120 and Ninja 1000 (ZX1000SX where you live, I believe). The T120 pulls at me nearly as hard as the CB does, plus I know it has more low-down punch, legroom, and ground clearance, while the sport-touring Kawi removes any and all engine performance/cornering-clearance worries.

I want all three, plus an R1200RT. I need a Jay Leno garage.

Honestly, I think I can get past the CB's lack of power and heavy-footed slow-pokiness, especially if I were to add it as a second bike while keeping the XSR900. The rest of the big CB is just that pleasing to me. I'm almost certain that I would grow to love the hell out of it over time. I am also convinced now that it won't be too buzzy for me on the freeway, which had been a major concern.

The lack of cornering clearance, though, that's a bugger. I'm not yet ready for the world of Harley-style cruiserdom, and abandoning all cornering fun.

That one worries me.
 
#19 rides one pretty quickly through the curves


On the stock 140 rear tire even you can run them until you curl the rubber on the edge without scraping, especially once you remove the ridiculous curb feelers on the pegs.

48e1b3d748a116b41d7a4faaa514ebc6.jpg


d5f3ac93a320edaed3159aca95450eca.jpg


I have not been able to run them clear to the edge with a 160 rear.
 
The ferret_imp said:
#19 rides one pretty quickly through the curves


On the stock 140 rear tire even you can run them until you curl the rubber on the edge without scraping, especially once you remove the ridiculous curb feelers on the pegs.

48e1b3d748a116b41d7a4faaa514ebc6.jpg


d5f3ac93a320edaed3159aca95450eca.jpg


I have not been able to run them clear to the edge with a 160 rear.


How does one go about learning how to do that without crashing?

I remember a post & video here a couple weeks ago that showed a guy slide out and crash while going very slow and didn't look very far leaned over to me, so I am overly cautious.
 
there are still any factors which decide about it how good is the actual grip...or how much deep, low you can go
--------------------------------
and at what time / under which circumstances its (start) scratch too...

example : by a 130kg boy it does cratch earlyer as by a 55kg boy with the same bike-setup and general drive and street situation...smileee
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
#19 rides one pretty quickly through the curves


On the stock 140 rear tire even you can run them until you curl the rubber on the edge without scraping, especially once you remove the ridiculous curb feelers on the pegs.

48e1b3d748a116b41d7a4faaa514ebc6.jpg


d5f3ac93a320edaed3159aca95450eca.jpg


I have not been able to run them clear to the edge with a 160 rear.


How does one go about learning how to do that without crashing?

I remember a post & video here a couple weeks ago that showed a guy slide out and crash while going very slow and didn't look very far leaned over to me, so I am overly cautious.
How does one go about learning how to do that without crashing?

I remember a post & video here a couple weeks ago that showed a guy slide out and crash while going very slow and didn't look very far leaned over to me, so I am overly cautious.
Practice and experience. I ride every day, and have for 52 years. One day you lean this far, next day you lean a little further, next day a little further. Each day your confidence builds, and you learn how far you can lean, but it's a slow process. The same thing as learning how hard you can brake. You'd be surprised just how hard you can brake if you need/know how to. Leaning and braking are learned/developed skills.

I didn't understand that crash myself.. maybe there was oil or gravel that he hit. I guarantee you we ride a lot faster and lean a lot further thru turns that that example showed.

alprider_imp said:
there are still any factors which decide about it how good is the actual grip...or how much deep, low you can go
--------------------------------
and at what time / under which circumstances its (start) scratch too...

example : by a 130kg boy it does cratch earlyer as by a 55kg boy with the same bike-setup and general drive and street situation...smileee
Of course you can't lean that far in all circumstances or need to for that matter. Clear dry day 70-80 degrees spirited riding with some friend will have you leaning further than a cold wet day riding by yourself.
 
I believe the fella in the video touched down an aftermarket engine case that leveraged his back tire up a hair causing loss of traction. Once you get yours tires warmed up you can grind down the peg feelers and even the stock can while still maintaining grip (under good conditions).
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
#19 rides one pretty quickly through the curves


On the stock 140 rear tire even you can run them until you curl the rubber on the edge without scraping, especially once you remove the ridiculous curb feelers on the pegs.

48e1b3d748a116b41d7a4faaa514ebc6.jpg


d5f3ac93a320edaed3159aca95450eca.jpg


I have not been able to run them clear to the edge with a 160 rear.


How does one go about learning how to do that without crashing?

I remember a post & video here a couple weeks ago that showed a guy slide out and crash while going very slow and didn't look very far leaned over to me, so I am overly cautious.
How does one go about learning how to do that without crashing?
Wait...

You mean we're not supposed to crash a lot?

WTH? Why didn't anyone tell me?!

-Marc Marquez
 
:rofl: Now there is a guy who regularly tests the limits of adhesion....
 
Ive given up reading and watching reviews by "experts". They talk too much and always sum it off by saying the honda lacks character. I feel a motorcycle should be well built and reliable and that's where the character is. I personally ride a RS and its amazing to ride aggressive and keep up with the sporty boys. Best part is, the bike looks amazing as well. In terms of how low you can go, i think its all personal confidence and also not doing stupid things on unfamiliar roads.

Its more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
Ive given up looking at reviews by "experts" who claim honda is boring and lacks character. This bike is how a motorbike should be. Simple and reliable. I have an RS and it will keep up with the sport boys anytime. It takes corners well.
Its more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
 
Back
Top