Does the 2017 CB1100 actually sound this amazing in person?

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter

RS instead of EX, but they share identical motor-specs and exhausts, so the two bikes ought to sound exactly the same.

Anyway, every time he blips the throttle, I can't believe that's a stock exhaust. That thing sounds absolutely perfect: deep, throaty, aggressive, snarly, but not obnoxiously loud.

I can't believe that's a stock exhaust on a modern Japanese bike!

Wow. Man, that sounds fantastic.
 
Wow that's a pretty agressive sound out of a stock Honda.
 
Yes the 2017 CB1100 EX does sound great!
It's very un-Honda like.

My neighbours have not complained yet.
But I am sure they are aware I have a new motorcycle.

Without ear plugs I am surprized at how loud it is.
With ear plugs at highway speed I can still hear the motor hum.

It also pops when you hold it back in 1st or 2nd gear.
Very much like carburetted motorcycles of the 70s.
 
In that video, it sounds much too loud for my taste. But that't probably just the recording level. Or is is that 4in2 really increases the noise so much more than my Canadian 2016 4in1?

However, something else caught my eye in that post: a comment to the effect that it's unfortunate this nice bike must be ridden in the big city.

Taking a bike capable of it for a spirited ride in a great European metropolis, where - unlike here - they know how to treat a motorcycle right in dense urban traffic, is pretty high on my list of pure delights.

It takes all kinds, I guess...
 
The 2017 exhaust note is the best in modern/retro motorcycling. I've managed to ride the bike 5k miles in 3 months. Can't stay off it.

Almost daily someone comments on what a nice bike. Traffic lights, burger places, shops, and a flagman at a construction zone. Everywhere I go they check it out.

They absolutely nailed the exhaust sound.
 
That's substantially different than my stock '14 standard, and not at all unpleasant : )
 
Before you dive in VLJ, re-read your earlier posts. Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
 
Maybe my speakers are bad......maybe I'm going deaf. I make more noise reading a newspaper. A 4 into 1 megaphone would be a MUST . My neighbors NEED some excitement in their lives.
 
Yeah. Dirtroad needs either to turn the volume up or put batteries in his hearing aid. :angel:
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Before you dive in VLJ, re-read your earlier posts. Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
That's true, and the other thing is these videos from Japan keep showing the various CB1100 models going around corners, one right after another. Man, do they drag pegs early. They seem to have virtually no cornering clearance. It's like watching Harleys.

Quote:Then forget them and go and buy a 2017 CB1100.
While watching Mr Kiddo's video again last night, plus the new-vs-old sound comparison video, I was 99% ready to do just that. I don't have the space for two bikes and can't really afford another $12k bike right now, and still I was just about ready to pull the trigger.

The lack-of-space and $$ issues are real problems, but so are the T120 and Ninja 1000 (ZX1000SX where you live, I believe). The T120 pulls at me nearly as hard as the CB does, plus I know it has more low-down punch, legroom, and ground clearance, while the sport-touring Kawi removes any and all engine performance/cornering-clearance worries.

I want all three, plus an R1200RT. I need a Jay Leno garage.

Honestly, I think I can get past the CB's lack of power and heavy-footed slow-pokiness, especially if I were to add it as a second bike while keeping the XSR900. The rest of the big CB is just that pleasing to me. I'm almost certain that I would grow to love the hell out of it over time. I am also convinced now that it won't be too buzzy for me on the freeway, which had been a major concern.

The lack of cornering clearance, though, that's a bugger. I'm not yet ready for the world of Harley-style cruiserdom, and abandoning all cornering fun.

That one worries me.
 
so take a R1200RT, relaxed cruiserfeeling/ seatposition , enough power for of the public streets and very good cornering clearance.
 
Sounds to me like those with 2014 ex's wanting dual Staintune exhaust characteristics now have a solution. Trade up to the 2017 RS!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
alprider_imp said:
so take a R1200RT, relaxed cruiserfeeling/ seatposition , enough power for of the public streets and very good cornering clearance.
I'm not about to spend $20K on a bike right now. If I won the Lotto, however, I definitely would. An R1200RT would be my very first purchase. A new CB1100 EX would be my second purchase, then I'd go house hunting. A Twin (R1200RT), a Triple (XSR900), and a Four (CB1100). Perfect.

Yes, I'm sick enough in the head that I'd buy the bikes before worrying about a house.

:P
 
Back
Top