Do you name your bikes or cars?

Seabee_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was reading the thread where InHouse Bob posted a picture of his CB with his daughter and someone commented how she resembled the insurance advertisement girl who has named her car Brad.
It got me to thinking "Do you or have you ever named your bike or car"
I personally have on occasion but not always and as yet have not applied one to my CB.
Some previous names have been:
McQueen given to my 1968 Honda CL450 which reminded me of Steve McQueens scrambling days.
Beast given to my 2010 F150 Harley Davidson truck.
Polly given to my 2002 Porsche Boxster S

A colleague has owned a CB750F for a few years and it's known amongst us as Smith because he lives close to a park here in Fort Lauderdale called CB Smith Park.
 
Seabee_imp said:
I was reading the thread where InHouse Bob posted a picture of his CB with his daughter and someone commented how she resembled the insurance advertisement girl who has named her car Brad.
It got me to thinking "Do you or have you ever named your bike or car"
I personally have on occasion but not always and as yet have not applied one to my CB.
Some previous names have been:
McQueen given to my 1968 Honda CL450 which reminded me of Steve McQueens scrambling days.
Beast given to my 2010 F150 Harley Davidson truck.
Polly given to my 2002 Porsche Boxster S

A colleague has owned a CB750F for a few years and it's known amongst us as Smith because he lives close to a park here in Fort Lauderdale called CB Smith Park.
I've always named my cars and bikes, and just as ships are always referred to as she, the names I choose are always female. Lol.

RED ROSIE - Car/current (modified from "Red Rover" kids rhyme)

BUFFY - 1st bike Piaggio MP3 250 (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

THUNDAAR - 2nd/current Bike CB750 (fav cartoon)

RIPLEY - 3rd/current Bike CB1100 (from the film Aliens)
 
Well I was the one who "named his bike" Brad, but I never name any of my vehicles. Not even my boat.
 
I don't as a rule.

But I've had cars with...CHARACTER, over the years.

Practice started with my old man. He had a Ford Model B in college, just after the war. The Ford V8. He named it "Old Henry" - it was as cantankerous as the man who founded the company.

Following on that, when I owned MY old Ford - a 1973 Pinto Squire station wagon that I'd got for $300 in Texas, no rust - I named it Blazing Saddles because of the Pinto fires in the news. Even though the station wagon had a different design and wasn't affected. It was just SO incongruous - me, a 22-year-old kid, driving a tiny station wagon with the fake wood-grain on it. But...hey, it had a four-speed!

It was actually a great car; but I was too broke to paint its faded flanks and remove the Di-Noc wood trim. Although I did spring for a gasoline Haz-Mat placard. Those were the days when you could do that without getting a ticket.

Later on...I bought another beater, which I came to love. A 1995 Geo Metro hatchback...this time the rust-free car came to me. For some reason, someone from California traded it in in Buffalo, where I was living - saw the California title, and there wasn't a spot of rust on it. Just general wear.

I named it Enko-San. Enko, we learned from Esso's aborted move to rename its gas stations Enco (before settling on Exxon)...it means "Stalled Car" in Japanese. The "-san" is an honorific. So...my Suzuki Cultus, disguised as an American Geo Metro, I named "Honorable Stalled Car."

And then, of course, was my Jeep CJ - which I just had to name EUGENE. I was gonna get personalized plates, but someone in Ohio already had that.

Since then, I haven't found the wit to name any of the vehicles I've had...but if the mood strikes me, if my wit slaps me in the face...
 
Simple logical names for the purpose of knowing what vehicle we're talking about, and that anyone outside the family would recognize as well. No real names.

The Toyota RAV4 is "the RAV"
The Toyota Avalon is t"he Avalon"
The Honda Accord is "the Accord"
The Yamaha Maxim650 is "the Yamaha"
The Triumph Scrambler is "the Scrambler"
The Honda CB1100 is "the CB"

We have on occasion called our vehicles by their color. Our first car, a Toyota Tercel was simply called "the green car".

I think everybody does that, but otherwise no personal names here for me.
 
The only car I ever named was a '78 Fiat Mirofiore Sedan. Aldo, after the character in the Fratelli Cella wine ads of that time. As for bikes, the Honda is just the CB and Pam's bike, the Wee-strom.
 
I've only named one vehicle that I've owned:

"Brunhilde"

My first car (that I bought when I was in my mid-30's.. I've never been much of a car guy).

It was a beat up old Volvo 144 on its last legs... Got me where I needed to go.

The name was meant to be a Wagnerian "Brunhilde".. Norse Goddess, Ride of the Valkyries and all of that..
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
The only car I ever named was a '78 Fiat Mirofiore Sedan. Aldo, after the character in the Fratelli Cella wine ads of that time. As for bikes, the Honda is just the CB and Pam's bike, the Wee-strom.
Redbirds I remember those Fiat Mirofiore's from my life in England. The car was great in Rally racing.
 
I have named my bikes cb1100 2013 is Ruby for the color, my 2004 Road King Custom is Black Betty after the color and the song.
 
Away up here we have a name
For wind and rain and fire
The rain is Joe
The wind is Bess
And we call the fire ... the fire.

Apologies to Alan and Frederick.
 
People always look at me funny for naming my stuff

Lucy is my 14 standard

Rhonda was an '81 Cb650 custom (red honda)

I wasn't so clever with my first bike, a '74. Cb550four. I just refured to it as purple bike so it wouldn't get confused with my brother's '75. Cb400f

I even named my snap on tool box Alvin!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Never really bothered. Our Lexus LX 570 is affectionalety known as "Lex Luthor," but that's more of an inside joke off an old school hip-hop album more than anything.
 
Some, but not all, got names:

2014 CB1100 - Black Beauty
2013 Toyota Prius Model C - Toy Car
2006 Honda Element - Cubie
1994 Suzuki Sidekick - Cutie
200? Honda Accord - Tic Tic
 
CB1100 - Last Blast. 'Cause at 70 it is likely to be.

T120 - The Blue *******. This name came naturally, and readily, after 10 minutes of kick starting in 40degC heat, followed by 30mins of waiting for my mate and a bike trailer to arrive. (Coil breakdown in the desert).

Cheers
 
Isn't it "The Blue ****"?
 
Back
Top