Do mods lower value?

HikerToo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was wondering if everyone out there modifying their CB1100 thinks this will help or hurt their resale value when they go to sell or trade it in?
I know with cars, I would prefer one that is well kept and 100% stock...I don't want one where some kid has been adding wheels, brakes, nitrous, blacked out windows, etc. In my mind that cheapens the vehicle and takes away from selling price.

I also know that most people doing mods, at least in their mind, think it adds to the value because the next person does not have to do them.
As of now, mods I have made are a small wind shield, and will probably add a Staintune slip-on soon...

So, does it add or subtract?
 
I think they hurt value, especially once they get collectible. I always save stock parts to return bikes to stock for trade in or resale.

Mods are only important to the person doing the modding.
 
For vintage bikes, I think it detracts. I'm storing all of the stock items I swap out so I can sell them with the bike.
 
Another thing, to someone looking to buy a bike, certain mods indicate certain things. When I look on Craigslist I avoid any bike that is a repaint, that has a 4 into 1 if it didnt come with one from the factory, if it has drag bars, struts, extended swingarm, if the carbs have been changed, if its got velocity stacks, if the ad includes the terms really fast, or loud, if the factory fairing has been removed, if it has different or no turn signals, if it has an undertail etc, or a builders or rebuilt title... all those things indicate to me the bike lead a less than easy life. I like buying bikes that have been appreciated and taken care of.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Another thing, to someone looking to buy a bike, certain mods indicate certain things. When I look on Craigslist I avoid any bike that is a repaint, that has a 4 into 1 if it didnt come with one from the factory, if it has drag bars, struts, extended swingarm, if the carbs have been changed, if its got velocity stacks, if the ad includes the terms really fast, or loud, if the factory fairing has been removed, if it has different or no turn signals, if it has an undertail etc, or a builders or rebuilt title... all those things indicate to me the bike lead a less than easy life. I like buying bikes that have been appreciated and taken care of.
I agree with the above...
 
For many years I rode BMW's (back in the old days, when they were good bikes). We always looked for stock bikes. It became a joke after a while because some bikes would have some really bad mods. The ads would read "Many extras".
 
Tasteful mods done with quality parts by a competent owner should never hurt value. Regarding the few used bikes I have purchased, each one had the following in common:

All of the stock parts that were exchanged were kept by the owner and included in the sale.
Full service histories.
Owners manuals and tools.
Receipts.
 
I'd keep all of the stock parts. As a buyer, I'd always prefer to find an all stock example. As a seller, you'll never come close to getting your money back out of the majority of those parts, the exception being rare parts are no longer made that happen to become very desirable. Even then, the best way to sell aftermarket parts is to sell them separately on their own.

So, have fun modding away, but be sure hang on to every part you replace if you think that you might eventually sell the bike and are concerned with getting the most money out of the sale given the investment you made.
 
Most mods definitely lower the value of a car or bike when you go to sell it. Every dollar I spend on mods probably lowers the value of the car or bike a dollar at resale time. Having all of the stock parts helps resale, actually putting them on the bike and selling it stock is best. Then take all of your mod parts and sell them separately. So why do I still mod my vehicles? Because I enjoy the process of personalizing a car or bike to suit me. I don't buy them for resale. Cheers.

Chip
 
The only premium I could see would be something like a Harley or Victory where my intention would be to do a stage one upgrade with new pipes, air filter, and ECU flash. From what I have read modern Harleys do really well with an oil cooler added (already on the Victory), and the stage one kit with more open pipes, K&N type of air filter, and ECU flash. For me I would search out a nice used bike that already had this and get the upgrade for little to no cost over stock even though this is probably a 1000-2000 upgrade.

Same with the CB 1100. Used I would search out one with the Aussie 4 into 4 exhaust or other exhaust system I coveted. Probably pay little to no extra over another similar one without the upgrade. I would pay more though if the original exhaust were included. Same with those beautiful red side covers some of you ar sporting. I would pay extra to have the original stock side covers included.

Save those stock parts people! ;)
 
If I was looking to buy a CB11 and it had risers, a good windshield, 4 into 4 pipes, red side panels and engine protection bars, I would consider those good mods.
 
Its not the mods per se that bother me. Its finding the stripped out threads, rounded off bolt heads, missing or substitute fasteners, mis-adjusted valves, unlubed and worn out chain, cables, bearings, mangled wire harnesses, and cheap aftermarket parts that you find every time you have to fix something.

I don't buy used unless I know who built/worked on the bike since new, and that pretty much limits me to buying new or something totally stock and never modded. So to me, an unmodded bike may have some value, while one modded very much has no value because I never would buy it, although I know there are many competent mechanics out there.
 
Like most things, it depends. First, how long are you holding the bike? If you plan to sell in five years or less there is no vintage, all original premium. Also what type of bike is it? If a dirt bike or a true adventure bike, upgrades and mods are often pluses...especially in cases where a bike has known deficiencies. For example, a 4 year old adventure bike with upgraded suspension will fetch more $. As for the CB, who knows; however, I would always hang onto the stock components.
 
As others have said, save the stock parts. Motorcycles, cars, whatever. Always save the stock parts. If you're going to modify a stock part with cutting, etc., buy another (Craigslist and Ebay are your friends) and work on that piece, not your original. In some cases, this can actually help close a sale. I once sold a modded Supra for my asking price because when the potential buyer carped about the body mods, air kit, and such, I pulled out the big box with all the original parts wrapped neatly in bubble wrap. He paid cash on the spot and drove away happy.

TL;DR - As long as you don't make irrevocable changes, mods don't hurt the value, IMO.
 
Always save the stock parts. Every nut, bolt & washer.
Never do anything that can"t be undone.
Remember, you'll never get back the money your spending.
 
Back
Top