Do I lube or not

lol - assuming the photo is a genuine representation, and judging by the drag marks on the sprocket, the concept appears resourceful.

Maybe usage is in a country with relaxed standards enforcement (or none at all), and duty is light?
 
Minibikes back in the 60's and 70's used the drive sprocket for the brake rotor. They were cable operated, and about as efficient as Fred Flintstone brakes. They did work slightly better than the scrub brakes, when the scrub brakes were covered in mud and water. The scrub brakes pressed a pad against the tire when you stepped on the peddle.
 
Dave_imp said:
Minibikes back in the 60's and 70's used the drive sprocket for the brake rotor. They were cable operated, and about as efficient as Fred Flintstone brakes. They did work slightly better than the scrub brakes, when the scrub brakes were covered in mud and water. The scrub brakes pressed a pad against the tire when you stepped on the peddle.
Good to know!
 
What bike is this?

Brake sprockets are uncommon...

Not sure what the question is though?

Chain looks 'good enough' - rotor wear looks 'good enough' for old pads that may be grooved themselves...

If anything- are my eyes confusing me- or are the teeth worn in the wrong direction?
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
What bike is this?

Brake sprockets are uncommon...

Not sure what the question is though?

Chain looks 'good enough' - rotor wear looks 'good enough' for old pads that may be grooved themselves...

If anything- are my eyes confusing me- or are the teeth worn in the wrong direction?
No question really just opinions maybe, its just a picture I found and having never seen this before thought if I had this setup on a bike would I lube the chain as normal and would it fling into the caliper and maybe run down the disc when parked.
 
Good point.... cross contamination didn't come to mind...as I was looking at the wear pattern.

I'd say a seal o-ring chain would be good enough, no lube.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Even on an X or O ring chain I lube it. You want to lube the sprocket/chain interface, and the links themselves. I brush on 90wt gear oil.
I used to brush on gear oil but now use chainsaw oil its anti fling and just stays there.
Give it a try.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Even on an X or O ring chain I lube it. You want to lube the sprocket/chain interface, and the links themselves. I brush on 90wt gear oil.
I used to brush on gear oil but now use chainsaw oil its anti fling and just stays there.
Give it a try.
Never considered chainsaw oil. My chainsaw seems to go through a lot of chain oil. :dodgy:

Hmmm, something to consider. :thumbsup:
 
I'm hoping it might be possible to own chainsaw oil without owning a chainsaw.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm hoping it might be possible to own chainsaw oil without owning a chainsaw.
I'm sure its possible just like some own thick gear oil with nowhere to use it nowadays, except on a bike chain ;)
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Even on an X or O ring chain I lube it. You want to lube the sprocket/chain interface, and the links themselves. I brush on 90wt gear oil.
I used to brush on gear oil but now use chainsaw oil its anti fling and just stays there.
Give it a try.
Never considered chainsaw oil. My chainsaw seems to go through a lot of chain oil. :dodgy:

Hmmm, something to consider. :thumbsup:
Never considered chainsaw oil. My chainsaw seems to go through a lot of chain oil. :dodgy:

Hmmm, something to consider. :thumbsup: Well I'm sure your bike chain won't go through a lot of chain oil unless you keep sprinkling sawdust on it ;)
 
Back
Top