DLX chain lube technique

DJS_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
for those that have deluxes with pipes on both sides, what is your technique for cleaning and or lubing the chain?

on my ER6N i am able to apply the lube ( i use gear oil) along the length of the inside(top) of the lower chain.
on the cb the pipe block access to the chain and i can get maybe 3 links.
any body got any pointers they would like to share.

TIA
 
For cleaning I use a rag, spray WD 40 on it, sit behind the bike and turn the wheel by hand running the chain thru the WD 40 rag. Once clean, then I spray chain lube on a rag and run the chain thru the chain lubed rag. Then I use the WD 40 rag to wipe off the wheel rim while I am there.

For lubing after a washing, I fire the bike up on the centerstand, put it in first and let out the clutch and stick the straw from the aerosol chain lube can thru the forward hole in the rear foot peg mounting bracket and spray first on the outside lower link to roller connection area and then the inside lower link to roller connection area. Once the chain has gone all the way around I will move to the rear and spray the outside of the links in the same place. then turn the key off. Hour or so later I will run the chain thru a dry rag to clean off any excess.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
For cleaning I use a rag, spray WD 40 on it, sit behind the bike and turn the wheel by hand running the chain thru the WD 40 rag. Once clean, then I spray chain lube on a rag and run the chain thru the chain lubed rag. Then I use the WD 40 rag to wipe off the wheel rim while I am there.

For lubing after a washing, I fire the bike up on the centerstand, put it in first and let out the clutch and stick the straw from the aerosol chain lube can thru the forward hole in the rear foot peg mounting bracket and spray first on the outside lower link to roller connection area and then the inside lower link to roller connection area. Once the chain has gone all the way around I will move to the rear and spray the outside of the links in the same place. then turn the key off. Hour or so later I will run the chain thru a dry rag to clean off any excess.
does that get enough lube on the chain?





i usually drip a little oil from the bottle onto the chain, spin the wheel then let it sit and wipe.
not sure putting the oil on the rag first then wiping the chain with the rag will get enough lube on the chain.
 
The ferret_imp said:
For cleaning I use a rag, spray WD 40 on it, sit behind the bike and turn the wheel by hand running the chain thru the WD 40 rag. Once clean, then I spray chain lube on a rag and run the chain thru the chain lubed rag. Then I use the WD 40 rag to wipe off the wheel rim while I am there.

For lubing after a washing, I fire the bike up on the centerstand, put it in first and let out the clutch and stick the straw from the aerosol chain lube can thru the forward hole in the rear foot peg mounting bracket and spray first on the outside lower link to roller connection area and then the inside lower link to roller connection area. Once the chain has gone all the way around I will move to the rear and spray the outside of the links in the same place. then turn the key off. Hour or so later I will run the chain thru a dry rag to clean off any excess.
Headed to the real world today and going to stop at an Auto Zone. Would like to pick up some spray lube, but I have never seen spray chain lube. I assume that its heavier than WD, are there different weights ?
 
Chapomis_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
For cleaning I use a rag, spray WD 40 on it, sit behind the bike and turn the wheel by hand running the chain thru the WD 40 rag. Once clean, then I spray chain lube on a rag and run the chain thru the chain lubed rag. Then I use the WD 40 rag to wipe off the wheel rim while I am there.

For lubing after a washing, I fire the bike up on the centerstand, put it in first and let out the clutch and stick the straw from the aerosol chain lube can thru the forward hole in the rear foot peg mounting bracket and spray first on the outside lower link to roller connection area and then the inside lower link to roller connection area. Once the chain has gone all the way around I will move to the rear and spray the outside of the links in the same place. then turn the key off. Hour or so later I will run the chain thru a dry rag to clean off any excess.
Headed to the real world today and going to stop at an Auto Zone. Would like to pick up some spray lube, but I have never seen spray chain lube. I assume that its heavier than WD, are there different weights ?
Pardon Our Interruption

Here, knock your self out...any number of types including Honda Spray Lube which I have used for years...most contain an anti-fling property.
 
Modern O ring chains like on the Cb 1100 come with the lube sealed inside the rollers sealed by O rings on each side of the roller, then there are the inner and out plates to hold it all together. Primary purpose of the chain lube on the rag is to prevent rusting of the side plates. Lubing of the link is basically to keep the oring healthy. Modern chains don't require a lot of lube or maintenance. Most guys use WAY too much lube on their chains, but by all means do what you feel is best for your chain. I usually get about 30,000 miles out of an oring chain, and at just over 10,000 miles my chain has been adjusted for slack once, other than when a tire was being put on of course.

Chain maintenance is a lot like which oil to buy and how long to go between oil changes. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

Just looked this up from DID for chain maintenance on their chains

http://www.didchain.com/chainMaintenance.html

a description of modern O ring chains

The o-ring chain is a specialized type of roller chain used in the transmission of mechanical power from one sprocket to another.

Construction

The o-ring chain is named for the rubber o-rings built into the space between the outside link plate and the inside roller link plates. Chain manufacturers began to include this feature in 1971 after the application was invented by Joseph Montano while working for Whitney Chain of Hartford, Connecticut. O-rings were included as a way to improve lubrication to the links of power transmission chains, a service that is vitally important to extending their working life. These rubber fixtures form a barrier that holds factory applied lubricating grease inside of the pin and bushing wear areas. Further, the rubber o-rings prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the inside of the chain linkages, where such particles would otherwise cause significant wear.

Applications

O-ring chains are most notably used in motorcycles, one of the most demanding applications for a metal chain. High rpm and heavy loads require bulky chains, but such engineering increases the effect of friction compared to lighter chains. So lubrication plays a vital role here, but the high rpm also make it very difficult to keep lubrication inside and on the chain. Additionally, motorcycle chains are exposed to a large volume of contaminants and particles and must be protected. O-rings, as described above, fit this application perfectly.
 
Keeping it clean is important. Lubricate the roller/sprocket contact. I lube about a 4" length on the inside of the chain with a sticky engine assembly lube or synthetic grease depending on what I have handiest then spin the assembly to spread it around. Works great and there's nothing to fling or catch dirt. I haven't used spray chain lube in decades :)
Erics CB has over 10k miles on it and has yet to need a chain adjustment.
Another tip: Many over tighten their chain causing stretch and premature wear. I always run my chains slightly loose. They seem to last longer ;)
 
I used Maxima Chain Wax for years with good results. I don't ride in dirt or in dusty condition anyway, so my chains seem to have a long life.
Some years ago I learned of Dupont Teflon Multi-Use and am now using that. When I learned that the formula had changed, and it was not as good as the original, I stocked up on several cans.
My chains seem to enjoy a long life with Dupont too.
When I run out of Dupont I'll probably go back to Chain Wax or whatever is then the greatest and best.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I used Maxima Chain Wax for years with good results. I don't ride in dirt or in dusty condition anyway, so my chains seem to have a long life.
Some years ago I learned of Dupont Teflon Multi-Use and am now using that. When I learned that the formula had changed, and it was not as good as the original, I stocked up on several cans.
My chains seem to enjoy a long life with Dupont too.
When I run out of Dupont I'll probably go back to Chain Wax or whatever is then the greatest and best.
Was not this post about how to lube chain with out a centerstand?
I would like to get the RWvern 4 piper but hate to loose the centerstand
 
Thread starter
jamboa_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
I used Maxima Chain Wax for years with good results. I don't ride in dirt or in dusty condition anyway, so my chains seem to have a long life.
Some years ago I learned of Dupont Teflon Multi-Use and am now using that. When I learned that the formula had changed, and it was not as good as the original, I stocked up on several cans.
My chains seem to enjoy a long life with Dupont too.
When I run out of Dupont I'll probably go back to Chain Wax or whatever is then the greatest and best.
Was not this post about how to lube chain with out a centerstand?
I would like to get the RWvern 4 piper but hate to loose the centerstand
close.
i have the cb1100 DLX with stock pipes and centerstand.
the issue is for me the pipes on the chain side ( the side the STD does not have a pipe on) block easy access to lube the chain.

if you change pipes and lose the center stand to help in lubrication of the chain i recommend a wheel spinner

available at harbor freight (link below)
[url=http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-cleaning-stand-98800.html]http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-cleaning-stand-98800.html

usually around $20 after discounts/coupons.
 
I use that brush (only mine is red to match the bike. LOL) and I use the Honda chain cleaner and the Honda chain lube. I'm quite sure that WD40 for cleaning and some sort of miracle paste for lubing works much better than the Honda stuff at a much cheaper cost, but just how much cleaner, lubier, and cheaper does chain maintenance need to be in order to be worth all the research time? I spend, say, $20.00/year on this for two bikes and everything seems pretty okey dokey to me.

However, that wasn't the OP's question which I should have read before posting this. LOL . I have a 2013, but I would use the same lube and cleaner only using a rag to help with the lube application (as Ferret suggested).
 
For bikes w/o center stands, Cycle Gear has a wheel dolly with rollers.
You just roll whichever wheel you want to spin up on it and your all set.
Spin away. For those w/stock DLX, I'm easily able to reach the bottom of the chain for cleaning and lubing W/O the pipe interfering.
 
Moto,

Thanks for this. We have a Cycle Gear in town and I could use one for the ST as I can't hardly get it on or off the center stand. I'm going to have to get one of those wheel rollers.
 
Quote from Web Bike World article.

So how do motorcyclists clean their chains? I wish I knew... I find it hard to believe that everyone removes their chain every 200 miles and soaks it in kerosene. We always used WD-40 in the shop until an aerospace engineer (who is a chief airplane crash investigator for the National Transportation Safety Board) told us that this wasn't a very good idea because it displaces the grease in the chain's O- or X-rings.
 
Chapomis, if sprayed into the links that could possibly be true I suppose, although I know guys that have used nothing but WD40 as a chain LUBE, for tens of thousands of miles, but in my case, I don't spray it on the chain at all, I spray it on a rag and run the side plates thru it to clean them, and then immediately afterwards relube the cleaned plates with chain lube on sprayed on another rag. The only thing I actually spray into the oring areas of my chains is BelRay Super Clean safe for o rings chain lube, or something similar.
 
Back
Top