DID silver plated ZVM-X chains

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I am thinking that down the road I would like to change my chains to a DID silver plated ZVM-X chains.
Does any one have any experience with their gold/silver plated chains : does the plating last for the life of the chain ?
 
There's a few reviews on Amazon that seem positive, but nothing really long-term. Regardless, I'd imagine the gold or nickel color would last the entire life of the chain, at least on the non-wear outer surfaces that we usually see.

I hope you enjoy cleaning your chain though!
 
Thread starter
I do not like cleaning my chains ! Hoping a plated one will look better for a longer time than the "natural " ones.
 
I've been using "gold plated" DID chains for years and they soon get covered in dirt so if you want the plating to show they need to be cleaned quite often.
Once I clean off the dirt (not that often) the plating looks as good as new.
 
Rocky_imp said:
I've been using "gold plated" DID chains for years and they soon get covered in dirt so if you want the plating to show they need to be cleaned quite often.
Once I clean off the dirt (not that often) the plating looks as good as new.
I second Rocky's comments.
 
Thread starter
I did order the silver plated DID chain ZVM-X from Sprocket Center and hope to receive it soon.
Interesting fact : my 2013 has the ZVM-X from new but my 2014 and 2017 has a lighter DID 50VA chain on them . I was go to put my new chain on the 2013 but that chain still looks like new , however the chain on the 2014 with less miles and the same frequency of oiling has a little rust on it. The side plates on the later chains are less substantial than the 2013 ZVM-X chain on my 2013.
Honda must have started using lighter and cheaper chains after 2013.
They did the same on the CBX , the 1979 had a 630 chain and in 1980 they used the 530.
I will replace both 2014 and 2017 chains to the better and nicer looking silver plated ZVM-X , not that they are worn out yet but there is no better place to "waste" money than on a motorcycle !
 
Thread starter
Today I put the silver plated DID 530 ZVM-X on my 2014 with 9250 miles. The original chain had a little rust showing on the outside but when I took it off there was quite a bit of rust on the inside plates.
I did apparently not do a good job with chain maintenance ! I used the Honda Chain Lube with "moly" but probably did not do this often enough. Especially not after a wet ride.
DID recommends using 80/90 gear oil and that what I will use from now onwards AND more often.
The silver plated chain looks nice and I will put them also on my 2013 and 2017
 
I don't understand the purpose of silver plated chains. Unlike gold, silver is a highly reactive metal and oxides quite readily, especially if it is not "pure" e.g. 0.9999 silver.

Both silver and especially gold are soft metals. So the inner sprocket-facing surfaces will experience wear. So while gold will look pretty on the outside (non-sprocket) chain surfaces, what else is the purpose? Sounds like a waste of natural resources to me.

- - -

I've used this successfully on the CB: TUTORO Automatic Motorcycle Chain Oilers

No electronics, no fiddling - just good ol' Mother Nature gravity and riding love. I hate routine chain maintenance.
 
Okay thanks Houtman. In that case, replace gold and silver with anodized gold/silver colour. Has anything really changed?
Considering alternatives to chain (I hate chain maintenance), and likewise shaft (mechanics are usually somewhat heavy for one thing), what do people think what Yamaha did with the later model Bolt?

I mean, yeah, the set-up is HD-ugly-like, but my understanding is the *Yamaha-specific* belt is essentially maintenance free, has ultra long replacement life, does not come off in sandy riding environments, is cheap and is quiet. Other than ugly, a large rear sprocket/pulley thang, why don't we see more of these on machines?

Definitely not consistent with the traditional intent of the CB, but what about other bikes? Does it come down to the sucky appearance? Something else?
 
Belts are quiet and zero maintenance.
However, they do fail...usually at inopportune times.
I have more than one H-D friend who carries a spare belt on cross-country trips and has become adept at relatively quick road-side changes.

My 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II shaft drive was 417 pounds wet.
Although fueling was an issue (and a noisy dry clutch), the trans and shaft drive were splendid.

On both of my Sportsters, I was very careful on fire roads. A small pebble between belt and pulley will likely break the belt...they DO NOT stretch!
 
Yamaha seemed to strongly urge that their belt on the Bolt would not break because the engineering did not have the short-comings of HD. They also appear to shroud the belt to prevent debris from entering its track. The belt is definitely different than HD's.

- - -

Love shaft drive.

I never had a "bad" shaft drive. The only crazy experience was on a Virago 1100. The bike had a lot of low RPM torque and that shaft recoiled not unlike a diving board. It didn't impede the ride, but the heavy duty rear shocks got a workout. The Yamaha shaft was pretty generic, and definitely not a Moto Guzzi solution.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yamaha seemed to strongly urge that their belt on the Bolt would not break because the engineering did not have the short-comings of HD. They also appear to shroud the belt to prevent debris from entering its track. The belt is definitely different than HD's.

- - -

Love shaft drive.

I never had a "bad" shaft drive. The only crazy experience was on a Virago 1100. The bike had a lot of low RPM torque and that shaft recoiled not unlike a diving board. It didn't impede the ride, but the heavy duty rear shocks got a workout. The Yamaha shaft was pretty generic, and definitely not a Moto Guzzi solution.
H-D provides protection, but it is not absolute...all it takes is once little pebble bouncing where it is not wanted.

Goodyear and others make H-D aftermarket belts, but they are NOT bullet proof.

Do you have a link to the Yamaha claim?
I am not anti-Yamaha (enjoyed a 2017 and 2018) and rode the Bolt before buying the CB1100.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yamaha seemed to strongly urge that their belt on the Bolt would not break because the engineering did not have the short-comings of HD. They also appear to shroud the belt to prevent debris from entering its track. The belt is definitely different than HD's.

- - -

Love shaft drive.

I never had a "bad" shaft drive. The only crazy experience was on a Virago 1100. The bike had a lot of low RPM torque and that shaft recoiled not unlike a diving board. It didn't impede the ride, but the heavy duty rear shocks got a workout. The Yamaha shaft was pretty generic, and definitely not a Moto Guzzi solution.
H-D provides protection, but it is not absolute...all it takes is once little pebble bouncing where it is not wanted.

Goodyear and others make H-D aftermarket belts, but they are NOT bullet proof.

Do you have a link to the Yamaha claim?
I am not anti-Yamaha (enjoyed a 2017 and 2018) and rode the Bolt before buying the CB1100.
No link - this was a face-to-face discussion at a dealer back near July 4th this year. Not trying to promote Yamaha, but was curious at his statement and cannot forget it. Had Yamaha (4) and Honda (3). Prefer Honda overall.
 
I am skeptical of verbal claims not backed by a written statement from the factory.
Be interesting to know if that dealer stocks any belts.

As much as I appreciated the Moto Guzzi shaft drive, it did require maintenance in the form of fluid changes. A belt is no maintenance, until it breaks.

Gear belts are getting better and better. In the mid nineties, Honda car cam belts were to be replaced at 60,000 miles. Now it is 90,000.
 
I was [skeptical] at first also, but we spoke for awhile and he felt quite genuine. He was clearly a vetran and just wanted to talk technology vs. pushing a bike on me.

- - -

Anyway, the fact that you sampled the Bolt and ended with the CB carries a certain redemption.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I was [skeptical] at first also, but we spoke for awhile and he felt quite genuine. He was clearly a vetran and just wanted to talk technology vs. pushing a bike on me.

- - -

Anyway, the fact that you sampled the Bolt and ended with the CB carries a certain redemption.
Perhaps the context was for the casual rider, at under perhaps 10,000 miles a year, who may get 5-6 years out of a belt?

H-D belts do not really break that often, but it is generally unexpected...not just from a hole shot or wheelie.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I am skeptical of verbal claims not backed by a written statement from the factory.
Be interesting to know if that dealer stocks any belts.

As much as I appreciated the Moto Guzzi shaft drive, it did require maintenance in the form of fluid changes. A belt is no maintenance, until it breaks.

Gear belts are getting better and better. In the mid nineties, Honda car cam belts were to be replaced at 60,000 miles. Now it is 90,000.
Yeah, I view shaft fluid maintenance as a non-issue. Yes, hence my question regarding belt technology: They have significantly improved.
SportsterDoc_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I was [skeptical] at first also, but we spoke for awhile and he felt quite genuine. He was clearly a vetran and just wanted to talk technology vs. pushing a bike on me.

- - -

Anyway, the fact that you sampled the Bolt and ended with the CB carries a certain redemption.
Perhaps the context was for the casual rider, at under perhaps 10,000 miles a year, who may get 5-6 years out of a belt?

H-D belts do not really break that often, but it is generally unexpected...not just from a hole shot or wheelie.
That was my approach/assumption, but I was corrected. So I learned something new. I even expected belt change regardless of mileage because of UV damage (cracking) and so on. Apparently less of an issue than I assumed.
The learning gave me new respect for the Bolt, but I am done with V-twins for quite awhile. The inlines are somewhat irresistible.
 
Well the drive belt on my Yamaha Majesty 400 the recommended replacement was at 12,500 miles., but that was with a CVT transmission

I thought I read on HD's that the recommended life is 100,0000 miles

Belts are not maintenance free, they need periodic adjustment, and they make a special tool for that, they just don't need lubrication.

Yes a rock wedged in between belt and "sprocket" will destroy a belt

it's difficult and expensive to "drop or add a tooth" on a belt drive system to alter gearing

I've heard you have to tear a Harley almost in half to replace a belt

IMO belts are better than chains for most street motorcycle applications, but shafts are better than both(not for sport bikes or off road bikes) .

Honda used to make shaft drive bikes down to 500 cc. Yamaha made a shaft drive 50 cc.

Crawl under your car and see what's under there. Would you prefer a belt or chain drive car? (Honda actually made a chain drive car in the late 50's.)
 
Back
Top