DID silver plated ZVM-X chains

The ferret_imp said:
Well the drive belt on my Yamaha Majesty 400 the recommended replacement was at 12,500 miles., but that was with a CVT transmission

I thought I read on HD's that the recommended life is 100,0000 miles

Belts are not maintenance free, they need periodic adjustment, and they make a special tool for that, they just don't need lubrication.

Yes a rock wedged in between belt and "sprocket" will destroy a belt

it's difficult and expensive to "drop or add a tooth" on a belt drive system to alter gearing

I've heard you have to tear a Harley almost in half to replace a belt

IMO belts are better than chains for most street motorcycle applications, but shafts are better than both(not for sport bikes or off road bikes) .

Honda used to make shaft drive bikes down to 500 cc. Yamaha made a shaft drive 50 cc.

Crawl under your car and see what's under there. Would you prefer a belt or chain drive car? (Honda actually made a chain drive car in the late 50's.)
Sportster belts may make it to 100,000, but typically 60,000-80,000.
The ferret_imp said:
Well the drive belt on my Yamaha Majesty 400 the recommended replacement was at 12,500 miles., but that was with a CVT transmission

I thought I read on HD's that the recommended life is 100,0000 miles

Belts are not maintenance free, they need periodic adjustment, and they make a special tool for that, they just don't need lubrication.

Yes a rock wedged in between belt and "sprocket" will destroy a belt

it's difficult and expensive to "drop or add a tooth" on a belt drive system to alter gearing

I've heard you have to tear a Harley almost in half to replace a belt

IMO belts are better than chains for most street motorcycle applications, but shafts are better than both(not for sport bikes or off road bikes) .

Honda used to make shaft drive bikes down to 500 cc. Yamaha made a shaft drive 50 cc.

Crawl under your car and see what's under there. Would you prefer a belt or chain drive car? (Honda actually made a chain drive car in the late 50's.)
Typically one tension adjustment, after run-in. The tool is a tensioner and it is not essential...however, it is destructive to over-tighten a belt.
The ferret_imp said:
Well the drive belt on my Yamaha Majesty 400 the recommended replacement was at 12,500 miles., but that was with a CVT transmission

I thought I read on HD's that the recommended life is 100,0000 miles

Belts are not maintenance free, they need periodic adjustment, and they make a special tool for that, they just don't need lubrication.

Yes a rock wedged in between belt and "sprocket" will destroy a belt

it's difficult and expensive to "drop or add a tooth" on a belt drive system to alter gearing

I've heard you have to tear a Harley almost in half to replace a belt

IMO belts are better than chains for most street motorcycle applications, but shafts are better than both(not for sport bikes or off road bikes) .

Honda used to make shaft drive bikes down to 500 cc. Yamaha made a shaft drive 50 cc.

Crawl under your car and see what's under there. Would you prefer a belt or chain drive car? (Honda actually made a chain drive car in the late 50's.)
Perhaps on a big twin, but on a Sportster, mainly just unbolt shock absorber and remove front pulley cover...no worse than continuous chain.
The ferret_imp said:
Well the drive belt on my Yamaha Majesty 400 the recommended replacement was at 12,500 miles., but that was with a CVT transmission

I thought I read on HD's that the recommended life is 100,0000 miles

Belts are not maintenance free, they need periodic adjustment, and they make a special tool for that, they just don't need lubrication.

Yes a rock wedged in between belt and "sprocket" will destroy a belt

it's difficult and expensive to "drop or add a tooth" on a belt drive system to alter gearing

I've heard you have to tear a Harley almost in half to replace a belt

IMO belts are better than chains for most street motorcycle applications, but shafts are better than both(not for sport bikes or off road bikes) .

Honda used to make shaft drive bikes down to 500 cc. Yamaha made a shaft drive 50 cc.

Crawl under your car and see what's under there. Would you prefer a belt or chain drive car? (Honda actually made a chain drive car in the late 50's.)
I saw Honda mini-sport cars in Japan in late sixties with chain drive.
 
Someone say chain-driven car?

An American-LaFrance, originally a fire engine. The owners race it every year at the Klassikwelt. And yes, it's road legal, I see them driving off from the grounds.
 
tuareg_imp said:
Someone say chain-driven car?

An American-LaFrance, originally a fire engine. The owners race it every year at the Klassikwelt. And yes, it's road legal, I see them driving off from the grounds.
That sir, is a beast!
 
Thread starter
Just put a new DID chain on my 2013 , did not look as bad as the one on my 2014 (more miles on the 2013 ! ) I have to do a better job of cleaning and oiling. Will from now onward clean with kerosene and after drying it use 80/90 gear oil ; putting it on with rag soaked in the oil . Will be messy but should be able to get the oil on the outside AND the inside plates. Spraying with the wax was not as good as hoped but probably my own fault .
 
I use variety of chain lubricants not just for lube but also as antirust agent, especially before long distance/few days trips that may get involved in rain.
When I got my demo '13 CB with 4500km, its chain was covered by grease, not oil.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Okay thanks Houtman. In that case, replace gold and silver with anodized gold/silver colour. Has anything really changed?
Considering alternatives to chain (I hate chain maintenance), and likewise shaft (mechanics are usually somewhat heavy for one thing), what do people think what Yamaha did with the later model Bolt?

I mean, yeah, the set-up is HD-ugly-like, but my understanding is the *Yamaha-specific* belt is essentially maintenance free, has ultra long replacement life, does not come off in sandy riding environments, is cheap and is quiet. Other than ugly, a large rear sprocket/pulley thang, why don't we see more of these on machines?

Definitely not consistent with the traditional intent of the CB, but what about other bikes? Does it come down to the sucky appearance? Something else?
PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13605&pid=223470#pid223470
 
PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.
[/QUOTE]

I mixed up, sorry and thanks :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.

I mixed up, sorry and thanks :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE] PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.
I mixed up, sorry and thanks :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a few low balls on a dreary Saturday afternoon.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.

I mixed up, sorry and thanks :thumbsup:
PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.
I mixed up, sorry and thanks :thumbsup:
[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a few low balls on a dreary Saturday afternoon.
[/QUOTE] PB: You mean the belt pic on Forum thread Page 1? It is still there - for me at least.
I mixed up, sorry and thanks :thumbsup:
Nothing wrong with a few low balls on a dreary Saturday afternoon.
[/QUOTE]
.......................
Yeah, where is that 10-15 mm Saturday rain to wash salt away prior my eventual Sunday ride :huh:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Okay thanks Houtman. In that case, replace gold and silver with anodized gold/silver colour. Has anything really changed?
Considering alternatives to chain (I hate chain maintenance), and likewise shaft (mechanics are usually somewhat heavy for one thing), what do people think what Yamaha did with the later model Bolt?

I mean, yeah, the set-up is HD-ugly-like, but my understanding is the *Yamaha-specific* belt is essentially maintenance free, has ultra long replacement life, does not come off in sandy riding environments, is cheap and is quiet. Other than ugly, a large rear sprocket/pulley thang, why don't we see more of these on machines?

Definitely not consistent with the traditional intent of the CB, but what about other bikes? Does it come down to the sucky appearance? Something else?
Belts are for vacuum cleaners!
 
Thread starter
I just finished putting the DID silver plated 530 chain on my 2017.
Again I was surprised how dirty the inside of the old chain was , I do a lousy job cleaning my chains and promise that I will do better.
This will be my New Year resolution , no need to be better in anything else as I am already perfect in other aspects of my life.....
 
Huotman, Do you have a photo with the new chain? I have a 2014 standard I'd really like a silver or chrome chain on and would like to see what it looks like on a CB11.
 
Thread starter
I do not have a picture but they look very nice on the bikes and I feel that they might be easier to keep looking like that with some better cleaning/oiling than I did in the past.
 
Houtman_imp said:
I do not have a picture but they look very nice on the bikes and I feel that they might be easier to keep looking like that with some better cleaning/oiling than I did in the past.
Yeah, get the photo.

It will always look nicer and cleaner in the photo.

:-/
 
Thread starter
I will try to get a photo and send it to Cormanus , he is kind enough to post pictures for. I can not do it myself !
 
I replaced my chain a while back and just opted for the one that was already on it. I use the Bel-Ray super clean so no matter the material I choose it's going to look milky white when lubed.
 
bigsheep_imp said:
I replaced my chain a while back and just opted for the one that was already on it. I use the Bel-Ray super clean so no matter the material I choose it's going to look milky white when lubed.
Like "glazed donut" milky white?



Hmmm, doe-noughts-s-s-s.
 
Back
Top