Destination unknown...?

rotor

Been there
Thread starter
Day 1 - East by Southeast:
Somewhare in Western Canadian praires:


An old-fashioned motorcycle needs old-fashioned navigation devices:


Snow? No, potash:


Where next? Stay tuned.
 
Nice. I use the old fashioned navigation system too.

Awaiting the next report and pics from the checkerboard man

have fun, ride safe
 
Thread starter
Day 2: Across the Medicine Line

Dog River - who could possibly resist documenting his visit to Dog River:


Penetrating the Iron Curtain (what used to be called "the longest undefended border in the World" ;) :


In style, in North Dakota:


The evening ritual with Negrita Formosa:


Where next? We'll see tomorrow.
 
rotor_imp said:
Day 2: Across the Medicine Line

Dog River - who could possibly resist documenting his visit to Dog River:


Penetrating the Iron Curtain (what used to be called "the longest undefended border in the World" ;) :


In style, in North Dakota:


The evening ritual with Negrita Formosa:


Where next? We'll see tomorrow.
The only thing more symmetrical than the above photo is a cb1100 with dual exhaust.

rotor_imp said:
Day 2: Across the Medicine Line

Dog River - who could possibly resist documenting his visit to Dog River:


Penetrating the Iron Curtain (what used to be called "the longest undefended border in the World" ;) :


In style, in North Dakota:


The evening ritual with Negrita Formosa:


Where next? We'll see tomorrow.
Ok, I'll ask, what gives? What is this "evening ritual"--for you or the bike? : )
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
rotor_imp said:
Day 2: Across the Medicine Line

Dog River - who could possibly resist documenting his visit to Dog River:


Penetrating the Iron Curtain (what used to be called "the longest undefended border in the World" ;) :


In style, in North Dakota:


The evening ritual with Negrita Formosa:


Where next? We'll see tomorrow.
The only thing more symmetrical than the above photo is a cb1100 with dual exhaust.

rotor_imp said:
Day 2: Across the Medicine Line

Dog River - who could possibly resist documenting his visit to Dog River:


Penetrating the Iron Curtain (what used to be called "the longest undefended border in the World" ;) :


In style, in North Dakota:


The evening ritual with Negrita Formosa:


Where next? We'll see tomorrow.
Ok, I'll ask, what gives? What is this "evening ritual"--for you or the bike? : )
Oiling the chain.

(These can be 700+ km days. Lubrication across the Nation. Clearly visible is the compact nature of the supplies and utensils - there is only so much one can carry on a trip like this ;).
 
Thread starter
Day 3: Another 650 km, mostly east. Nothing worth photographing.
More tomorrow...
 
Thread starter
Day 4: first few drops of rain:
The morning had nothing much to promise:


Wait out the deluge or press on?:


Barely 300 km east from Duluth, all 300 in heavy rain... Where next? Anyplace dry.
 
Fun trip, but recommend you swing a 180 and head west. It's dry out here. Good riding in the Rockies right now and the roads aren't straight and flat!
 
uggg 300 miles of rain. Not much fun in that. Hope it gets better for you.
 
Hope the rain eased for you rotor.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
uggg 300 miles of rain. Not much fun in that. Hope it gets better for you.
Kilometres, my friend. (Just a little bit better :). Still, at the end of it, I was soaked down to the underwear. My boots turned into a device (a pair of the devices, actually) that kept the water inside instead of outside. By the end of 300km (some 180 miles) I decided there must be some float in my schedule. (A schedule without float is like a budget without contingency. Engineering 101. Actually, Life 101...). It could have been 300 miles if... (see Day 5).

Day 5: Between Michigan, Huron and Superior

This place appeared last night as a miracle. Big Foot Motel, in Crystal Falls, Michigan - I was warned roofing work is in progress, and there might be a leak from the ceiling. After 300 km on a motorcycle in a deluge, would a leak from the ceiling even be noticeable? Highly recommended:

It looked half-decent in the morning of Day 5, but not for long. After less than 10 km, more of the same heavy rain as yesterday. As there were some road closures on 28 north of here yesterday, I stay on US-2. My visor is constantly fogging up, in Escanaba I run into a dip under an overpass with about a foot deep water, the depth of which I clearly misjudged. It was close... Sometimes a 250 kg motorcycle is not a gram to heavy.

Finally, about noon, rain stops. In no time I swing back north and then east on 28 (as originally planned).

A quick stop to peel off the overalls and get organized for another border crossing:


As expected, no explanations were necessary to be allowed back into Canada. (Unlike three days ago ;)

No rain in Ontario, but with close to 500 km, half of it in rain, I call it a day some 50 km east of Sault Ste. Marie. Changing into dry, I relax:

Can life be better than this? In theory, I suppose...

Where next? Obviously, East. No alternative, not for a while...
 
Thread starter
Days 6 & 7:

Back in Canada, things are looking up. Morning of day 6 did not look much better than two days before, but there were only a few drops of rain before the noon; the rest of the run to North Bay was dry. Day 7, to Montreal - cloudy but dry, sun and few clouds promised for tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get the camera out of the dry bag again?
 
Should be a nice ride on Highway 17 north of Algonquin Park.
It's been sticky and hot here is Ottawa.
But that is supposed to change tonight.
It should be 59F when I set out for Renfrew at 8AM.
No rain forecasted.
 
rotor_imp said:
Days 6 & 7:

Back in Canada, things are looking up. Morning of day 6 did not look much better than two days before, but there were only a few drops of rain before the noon; the rest of the run to North Bay was dry. Day 7, to Montreal - cloudy but dry, sun and few clouds promised for tomorrow. Perhaps I'll get the camera out of the dry bag again?
You are passing through my old neck of the woods where I lived for 19 years - I could tell you every bump between Sudbury and Ottawa.
 
Looks like an outstanding adventure. Hey what's a little rain. Beats working.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Looks like an outstanding adventure. Hey what's a little rain. Beats working.
Old man's wisdom: worst day on a motorcycle is better than the best day in doctor's office...;)

(Although, getting to where I was going in the rush-hour traffic in Montreal last night did bring to mind a visit to a dentist.. :(
 
Thread starter
Day 8: Down the river...
Morning in Montreal:

Ready to leave this island of tranquillity in an ocean of insane traffic jam...

Map procurement stop:

For those that use paper maps: Province of Quebec does not offer free road maps in its roadside tourist info joints. But the product is worth $5.- (plus tax). And you can get it in two language versions.

Oui mademoiselle, personne à personne...:

Those that have abandoned the joys and sorrows of mobile telephony, keep their eyes open for such installations. A fully functioning roadside antique.

Where next? Probably easy to guess now...
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
How did you find the ride down from North Bay yesterday morning?

It was only 55F when I left Ottawa at 8AM. If I was driving directly north, the cold north wind slipped through the zippers of my leather jacket. That limited my speed to 80 KPH (50 MPH). Heading northwest 90 KPH (55 MPH), and west 100 KPH (60 MPH).

Unfortunately we are in the middle of moving and my winter gloves and down filled vest are in storage. By the time I reached Renfrew (1 1/2 hours) I was chilled and my hands were cold. A medium coffee at breakfast helped. But I had to use the hot water and dryer in the washroom to warm my hands.

By the time I reached Combermere an hour later my hands were numb. Took a side trip to the lookout over the lake. After removing my gloves I leaned on the seat and realized how warm it was from the sun. Spent ten minutes using it to bring my hands back to life.

Fortunately it was warm enough by noon. I had a nice ride around Elephant and Baptiste Lakes. Rolled up 565 kilometers (350 miles) by the time I got home. The afternoon was the best ride I have had this year. I'll pick a warmer day before venturing out again though.
Since it was not certain there would be no rain on Monday, and since the plan was to reach Montreal that day, I did put on my rain overalls in the morning. Thus, cold along the way was no problem, getting to where I was going through heath and humidity in the afternoon rush hour traffic in Montreal was. As a result I am debating my idea of spending a day or two in Montreal on my way back. I have not seen a bike rider lane split there, so I kept in my crawling line, at all times. Will the age of lane-splitting enlightenment ever reach this continent...? Well, certainly it will, but will I be riding two wheels fore and aft when that happens or will those two wheels be one on each side of a padded seat...?
Day 9: Acadia
Evening of day 8:

A ferry ready to leave for the North Shore. For a moment, I was toying with the idea of getting on it. So many interesting roads, so few days. At this point, I cant ignore the simple fact: one of these days, I must turn the bike around.

Somewhere in the middle of New Brunswick:

Turning south from St. Lawrence, at Grand Falls, I decide to cut across through Nortumberland woodland on 108. Road is in bad shape, more than 10 km of loose gravel waiting for tar... But still, better than tooling down the 4-lane Trans-Canada.
 
Thread starter
Day 10: Moncton to Cape Breton

Morning in Moncton:

Official motorcycle of a certain agency of the Government of Canada? (We do not have any three-letter agencies up here, we have no-name agencies instead... ;)

Cheap gas!

56.9 cents a litre! But unfortunately, the pump wouldn't take my credit card, and there seems to be no one around to assist me:


Maritime meanderings around Bras d'Or:


Ferry?


Or bridge?


Where next? The possibilities are wide open again...
 
Back
Top