dead battery

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
40 bucks?!?! I paid slightly north of 150, because I wanted it RIGHT NOW.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
 
louied_imp said:
Rode yesterday for hours, made several stops and the bike started just fine. Last night, stopped for gas and the bike won't start, no juice on the display or gauges, does not turn over. Nothing. Then I jumped it from my car battery. It started up. As soon as I disconnect the jumper cable, totally dead. I tried again and kept the jumper cables on for 30 minutes. Disconnected and once again, totally dead. Is this simply a dead battery or something else? Thanks for any/all advice!
Same thing happened to me. Put in a new battery. Works fine now. Could be your trickle charger if you are using one. replaced that too.
 
These AGM batts just go out w/o warning, even when tenderized and 12.5-7 V at rest. I carry the Scoche battery brick jumper and batt tender adapter when I’m riding. It’s come in handy once on my Goldwing DCT ( no bump starting here). In addition the brick fits ( with a little trimming) in the owners mnl slot under the saddle on my CB11.
 
From time-to-time do a formal load test on the AGM battery to get a very early warning of pending failure if you have no backup plan.

On the CB1100, the backup plan is down from a hill-top, pop third gear and off you go. Keep the RPM elevated (at least one lower gear than usual) and you should make it home through hundreds of kilometers.
 
^^+1^^
In automotive, I see the AGM batteries suddenly dropping voltage and no longer good, but this concerns new vehicles that were sitting on the lot prior delivery.
As a replacement/new battery, very rare.
 
I've had replacement brand name AGM batteries fail, but not without at least one warning - typically at start-up in extreme heat or very cold. That is about as "sudden" as I get.
 
A half-reasonable daily load test is to connect a USB socket with voltage meter to the bike and monitor it during starter motor assertion. If the voltage dips too low a few times, that means your battery service life is about done. All my Hondas currently have this.
 
pdedse_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
40 bucks?!?! I paid slightly north of 150, because I wanted it RIGHT NOW.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Pdedse, before visiting the Maritime provinces next year, make sure you have the new battery installed prior your departure...cos due to RIGHT NOW demand, we will charge 'merican travellers more than domestic habitants ... :P
 
Do you have a link to such a beastie, GO?
 
3f03bceb4dfb4c182cab8eaa902b15f1.jpg


39133b859cd99d2873ddbcaed4004fa6.jpg


Both my CBs have them, with a manual on/off switch. Very neat and waterproof design.
I think, I got'em from Alibaba, come in black and silver/aluminium design:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/3...77dbDt54l7
and this one as well:
[url=https://www.amazon.ca/Lysignal-Charger-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Detector/dp/B073WVT96B/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=usb+multimeter&qid=1665920623&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjM1IiwicXNhIjoiMy40OCIsInFzcCI6IjIuMjQifQ%3D%3D&sr=8-11]https://www.amazon.ca/Lysignal-Charger-M...3D&sr=8-11
>>>>>>>
[url=https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&tab=all&SearchText=motorcycle+dual+usb++waterproof+charger&viewtype=]https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb...&viewtype=

[url=https://www.amazon.ca/usb-multimeter/s?k=usb+multimeter]https://www.amazon.ca/usb-multimeter/s?k=usb+multimeter
 
Thank you, peterbaron and GoldOxide.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
40 bucks?!?! I paid slightly north of 150, because I wanted it RIGHT NOW.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Pdedse, before visiting the Maritime provinces next year, make sure you have the new battery installed prior your departure...cos due to RIGHT NOW demand, we will charge 'merican travellers more than domestic habitants ... :P
But this is when I call you, me stranded near Napadogan having pushed the $40 battery to its outer limits, and you drop everything only to find out that the local battery shacks are out of compatible CB batteries, and so what do you do?...do you leave me stranded by the roadside?...No, that's not happening...you step out into the garage and remove the battery from your CB, and you're out on the road lickety-split...and I am eternally grateful...we take a few pictures, I buy you dinner at the Village Pour House Wenday 1st Stop...and you, PB, you become a CB1100 Forum Hero!!!

Oh, and I promise, the check for that battery IS-IN-THE-MAIL...must be the service between USA-Canada.
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse: Also consider a USB socket with voltmeter too. Very low price insurance, plus a USB charging outlet for your dash trash.
I carry a battery charger with jumper cables, built-in flashlight and has USB ports. I'm afraid I only have bugs on the bars, no electrics. The charger keeps the phone juiced when camping, and I've actually used it to jump a car battery...it worked.
 
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
40 bucks?!?! I paid slightly north of 150, because I wanted it RIGHT NOW.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Pdedse, before visiting the Maritime provinces next year, make sure you have the new battery installed prior your departure...cos due to RIGHT NOW demand, we will charge 'merican travellers more than domestic habitants ... :P
But this is when I call you, me stranded near Napadogan having pushed the $40 battery to its outer limits, and you drop everything only to find out that the local battery shacks are out of compatible CB batteries, and so what do you do?...do you leave me stranded by the roadside?...No, that's not happening...you step out into the garage and remove the battery from your CB, and you're out on the road lickety-split...and I am eternally grateful...we take a few pictures, I buy you dinner at the Village Pour House Wenday 1st Stop...and you, PB, you become a CB1100 Forum Hero!!!

Oh, and I promise, the check for that battery IS-IN-THE-MAIL...must be the service between USA-Canada.
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse: Also consider a USB socket with voltmeter too. Very low price insurance, plus a USB charging outlet for your dash trash.
I carry a battery charger with jumper cables, built-in flashlight and has USB ports. I'm afraid I only have bugs on the bars, no electrics. The charger keeps the phone juiced when camping, and I've actually used it to jump a car battery...it worked.
That is handy pdedse.

Keep in mind that if your motorcycle battery has at least one dead cell (happens often on end-of-life batteries), then the juiced charger won't help you.

Nevertheless, you can likely still fall back on bump-start; just keep the RPMs elevated to offset the weak battery load on the charging system.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
40 bucks?!?! I paid slightly north of 150, because I wanted it RIGHT NOW.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Pdedse, before visiting the Maritime provinces next year, make sure you have the new battery installed prior your departure...cos due to RIGHT NOW demand, we will charge 'merican travellers more than domestic habitants ... :P
But this is when I call you, me stranded near Napadogan having pushed the $40 battery to its outer limits, and you drop everything only to find out that the local battery shacks are out of compatible CB batteries, and so what do you do?...do you leave me stranded by the roadside?...No, that's not happening...you step out into the garage and remove the battery from your CB, and you're out on the road lickety-split...and I am eternally grateful...we take a few pictures, I buy you dinner at the Village Pour House Wenday 1st Stop...and you, PB, you become a CB1100 Forum Hero!!!

Oh, and I promise, the check for that battery IS-IN-THE-MAIL...must be the service between USA-Canada.
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse: Also consider a USB socket with voltmeter too. Very low price insurance, plus a USB charging outlet for your dash trash.
I carry a battery charger with jumper cables, built-in flashlight and has USB ports. I'm afraid I only have bugs on the bars, no electrics. The charger keeps the phone juiced when camping, and I've actually used it to jump a car battery...it worked.
That is handy pdedse.

Keep in mind that if your motorcycle battery has at least one dead cell (happens often on end-of-life batteries), then the juiced charger won't help you.

Nevertheless, you can likely still fall back on bump-start; just keep the RPMs elevated to offset the weak battery load on the charging system.
Yep, understood. That's why PB is my roadside backup.

GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
40 bucks?!?! I paid slightly north of 150, because I wanted it RIGHT NOW.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Sometimes you need it right now. My original battery gave me a few heads up with less than normal starts, engine light came on. too. I parked it and ordered the cheapo battery just to try one out and rode the other bike while it arrived. If it lasts less than a year, I wasted a fist full of dollars, but only ones and fives. I have yet to buy a battery that lasted less than 4-5 years in Oregon, so I'll see how this one does.
Pdedse, before visiting the Maritime provinces next year, make sure you have the new battery installed prior your departure...cos due to RIGHT NOW demand, we will charge 'merican travellers more than domestic habitants ... :P
But this is when I call you, me stranded near Napadogan having pushed the $40 battery to its outer limits, and you drop everything only to find out that the local battery shacks are out of compatible CB batteries, and so what do you do?...do you leave me stranded by the roadside?...No, that's not happening...you step out into the garage and remove the battery from your CB, and you're out on the road lickety-split...and I am eternally grateful...we take a few pictures, I buy you dinner at the Village Pour House Wenday 1st Stop...and you, PB, you become a CB1100 Forum Hero!!!

Oh, and I promise, the check for that battery IS-IN-THE-MAIL...must be the service between USA-Canada.
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse: Also consider a USB socket with voltmeter too. Very low price insurance, plus a USB charging outlet for your dash trash.
I carry a battery charger with jumper cables, built-in flashlight and has USB ports. I'm afraid I only have bugs on the bars, no electrics. The charger keeps the phone juiced when camping, and I've actually used it to jump a car battery...it worked.
That is handy pdedse.

Keep in mind that if your motorcycle battery has at least one dead cell (happens often on end-of-life batteries), then the juiced charger won't help you.

Nevertheless, you can likely still fall back on bump-start; just keep the RPMs elevated to offset the weak battery load on the charging system.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and state unequivocally that this el cheapo battery (it was actually $37.99) is lasting me 4 years minimum.

:angel:
 
Back
Top