Dart developing flyscreen for CB1100

Scoobynut_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The guy I talked to at Dart, Steve, said he himself just bought a CB1100 and will be picking it up next week. Here's the email reply I received from him when I inquired if they would be developing a screen for our bike:

"Hi John,

We certainly are - in fact, I've just bought one today! Collecting it next week and we'll get straight to work. I'll let you know as soon as it's available.

Best regards,
Steve"

This is just the screen I've been waiting for as I didn't want to mount a large screen on this bike (I already have a bike with one of those), but am looking to get some wind off my chest for those occasional day trips. Here's their website:

http://www.dartflyscreens.com/

I also told Steve I was hoping they would come up with a mounting system similar to what they have for the Kawi W800 as I'm not a real fan of screens that mount on the headlight bucket nuts.

Pictures of Dart flyscreen on the W800. Very discreet and looks to be high-quality:



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/w800_6_main_zpsacd6db67.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/w800_3_main2_zps4363294b.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/w800_4_main_zps0329bd7d.jpg.html]

[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/w800_1_main_zps06d99c46.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
wildezt_imp said:
looks Great...! and nice bike..:D
Yeah, aren't those W800s gorgeous? I'd have one in a heartbeat if Kawasaki ever sold them here.
Guth_imp said:
Now that looks nice. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the CB1100.
Hopefully looks just like the one in the pictures! I'm going to buy one as soon as they're available so will be able to give some real world reviews after living with it for a while...
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
looks Great...! and nice bike..:D
Yeah, aren't those W800s gorgeous? I'd have one in a heartbeat if Kawasaki ever sold them here.
Guth_imp said:
Now that looks nice. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the CB1100.
Hopefully looks just like the one in the pictures! I'm going to buy one as soon as they're available so will be able to give some real world reviews after living with it for a while...
They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
looks Great...! and nice bike..:D
Yeah, aren't those W800s gorgeous? I'd have one in a heartbeat if Kawasaki ever sold them here.
Guth_imp said:
Now that looks nice. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the CB1100.
Hopefully looks just like the one in the pictures! I'm going to buy one as soon as they're available so will be able to give some real world reviews after living with it for a while...
They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip
They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip
Chip, yep, I'm well aware they sold the W650 here, if only briefly, 2000-01, I believe. I know a guy who has four of them. It's too bad Kawasaki is gun shy about selling a retro because of that experience, but I think the W800 would do better now that retro design is more sought after. I do like that the W800 has a substantially larger motor than the 650 and is fuel-injected instead of carbs. Staintune makes a full system for the 800 that sounds fantastic from what I've heard in the youtube video. Oh, and I like the bevel drive shaft on the one side of the motor. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

The 800 wouldn't be enough to make me sell my 1100, but I'd like to have both. :)
 
I should have known better. Yeah I was talking about the 650 and even though you posted W800 I wasn't sharp enough to realize it was a new bigger engined model. I stand corrected. You can probably answer another question. My objection to the shaft can drive wasn't it's looks, it was that the original Bonneville's didn't have that. I know another vintage bike did. What was it??

Chip
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
I should have known better. Yeah I was talking about the 650 and even though you posted W800 I wasn't sharp enough to realize it was a new bigger engined model. I stand corrected. You can probably answer another question. My objection to the shaft can drive wasn't it's looks, it was that the original Bonneville's didn't have that. I know another vintage bike did. What was it??

Chip
I'm not sure if we're playing trivia now, or if you just don't know! :D I'm not sure about any parallel twins that might've had the bevel drive, but I know classic Ducatis did at one time.

As far as the Bonnies not having the bevel drive, well, even the old W series Kawasakis in the 60s didn't have it, so who knows why Kawi incorporated it into the W650/800. I'd like to think so they could one-up the new Bonnie when it came out, but that's just what I'd like to think...
 
That bevel drive on the W bikes is awesome. That's one of my favorite little surprises about those bikes. Ever see the bevel cover on the Ducati's complete with the glass viewing window? Surely someone came up with such an accessory for the W650 / W800. I'd have to have one of those if I owned a W bike.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
I should have known better. Yeah I was talking about the 650 and even though you posted W800 I wasn't sharp enough to realize it was a new bigger engined model. I stand corrected. You can probably answer another question. My objection to the shaft can drive wasn't it's looks, it was that the original Bonneville's didn't have that. I know another vintage bike did. What was it??

Chip
I'm not sure if we're playing trivia now, or if you just don't know! :D I'm not sure about any parallel twins that might've had the bevel drive, but I know classic Ducatis did at one time.

As far as the Bonnies not having the bevel drive, well, even the old W series Kawasakis in the 60s didn't have it, so who knows why Kawi incorporated it into the W650/800. I'd like to think so they could one-up the new Bonnie when it came out, but that's just what I'd like to think...
I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
wildezt_imp said:
looks Great...! and nice bike..:D
Yeah, aren't those W800s gorgeous? I'd have one in a heartbeat if Kawasaki ever sold them here.
Guth_imp said:
Now that looks nice. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the CB1100.
Hopefully looks just like the one in the pictures! I'm going to buy one as soon as they're available so will be able to give some real world reviews after living with it for a while...
They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip
They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip
Chip, yep, I'm well aware they sold the W650 here, if only briefly, 2000-01, I believe. I know a guy who has four of them. It's too bad Kawasaki is gun shy about selling a retro because of that experience, but I think the W800 would do better now that retro design is more sought after. I do like that the W800 has a substantially larger motor than the 650 and is fuel-injected instead of carbs. Staintune makes a full system for the 800 that sounds fantastic from what I've heard in the youtube video. Oh, and I like the bevel drive shaft on the one side of the motor. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

The 800 wouldn't be enough to make me sell my 1100, but I'd like to have both. :)
They did sell them here. When I bought my Bonneville I also looked at that Kawasaki. In many ways it was a better copy of the original Bonneville than the new Bonnie was. But I didn't like the strange shaft drive for the cams (still the biggest visual eyesore on that bike to me) and it was a Kawasaki and not a Triumph so I bought the Bonneville. They sold them here for a couple of years but they never moved well here in the states.

Chip
Chip, yep, I'm well aware they sold the W650 here, if only briefly, 2000-01, I believe. I know a guy who has four of them. It's too bad Kawasaki is gun shy about selling a retro because of that experience, but I think the W800 would do better now that retro design is more sought after. I do like that the W800 has a substantially larger motor than the 650 and is fuel-injected instead of carbs. Staintune makes a full system for the 800 that sounds fantastic from what I've heard in the youtube video. Oh, and I like the bevel drive shaft on the one side of the motor. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

The 800 wouldn't be enough to make me sell my 1100, but I'd like to have both. :)
The problem is they brought back the wrong retro bike, Now a "New" Z1 in root beer brown and orange would be different. ;)
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
I should have known better. Yeah I was talking about the 650 and even though you posted W800 I wasn't sharp enough to realize it was a new bigger engined model. I stand corrected. You can probably answer another question. My objection to the shaft can drive wasn't it's looks, it was that the original Bonneville's didn't have that. I know another vintage bike did. What was it??

Chip
I'm not sure if we're playing trivia now, or if you just don't know! :D I'm not sure about any parallel twins that might've had the bevel drive, but I know classic Ducatis did at one time.

As far as the Bonnies not having the bevel drive, well, even the old W series Kawasakis in the 60s didn't have it, so who knows why Kawi incorporated it into the W650/800. I'd like to think so they could one-up the new Bonnie when it came out, but that's just what I'd like to think...
I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip
I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip
I vaguely remembered something along those lines, but had no idea it was a Norton single.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
I should have known better. Yeah I was talking about the 650 and even though you posted W800 I wasn't sharp enough to realize it was a new bigger engined model. I stand corrected. You can probably answer another question. My objection to the shaft can drive wasn't it's looks, it was that the original Bonneville's didn't have that. I know another vintage bike did. What was it??

Chip
I'm not sure if we're playing trivia now, or if you just don't know! :D I'm not sure about any parallel twins that might've had the bevel drive, but I know classic Ducatis did at one time.

As far as the Bonnies not having the bevel drive, well, even the old W series Kawasakis in the 60s didn't have it, so who knows why Kawi incorporated it into the W650/800. I'd like to think so they could one-up the new Bonnie when it came out, but that's just what I'd like to think...
I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip
I didn't know and couldn't find a British bike with a shaft (bevel) driven camshaft although I could have sworn I'd seen one in the past. I knew Ducati used them. It was bugging me so I did a little research and finally found it. The bike photo I saw a long time ago was a late 1940's to early 1950's Norton 500cc single which had a bevel drive on the right hand side of it's cylinder.

Chip
I vaguely remembered something along those lines, but had no idea it was a Norton single.
Took a while but I found a decent photo of one. This is a 1951 Norton 500cc single. A pretty good looking bike. I bet one of these would cause quite a stir if you rode to your local "Cars & Coffee" on it.

 
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
 
Buffalohead' pid='7413' dateline='1373743847 said:
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
[/quote
LOL! Yea my nightmares R that I am no longer retired and I had to run my business again. Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department. I think the W800 is still too small a motor. I Had my 790 Bonneville bored to 904. That wome it up plenty.
 
Thread starter
jamboa_imp said:
Buffalohead' pid='7413' dateline='1373743847 said:
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
[/quote
LOL! Yea my nightmares R that I am no longer retired and I had to run my business again. Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department. I think the W800 is still too small a motor. I Had my 790 Bonneville bored to 904. That wome it up plenty.
I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not?
 
Bevel-drive Ducatis are highly sought after, they are considered by many to be the most desirable of the Ducati line. No cam chains or belts, just a straightforward mechanical connection...different from the gear-driven cams of older VFRs but just as cool IMHO.
Scoobynut_imp said:
jamboa_imp said:
Buffalohead' pid='7413' dateline='1373743847 said:
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
[/quote
LOL! Yea my nightmares R that I am no longer retired and I had to run my business again. Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department. I think the W800 is still too small a motor. I Had my 790 Bonneville bored to 904. That wome it up plenty.
I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not?
Scooby, what screen do you have on your Hawk? I might end up putting something like that on my Hawk GT too...
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
jamboa_imp said:
Buffalohead' pid='7413' dateline='1373743847 said:
This retro movement is the best thing that has happened to motorcycles in eons. , especially the British bike look-alikes. I do love the CB11 but I would kill for a Kawi W800. With fuel injection, it would be much better than the W650 and sell better too. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like British bikes, I do. The Triumph is the BEST looking bike (except for maybe the Royal Enfield and I won't go there). But, reliability and build quality is too important to me. I'm afraid every time they come out with a Japan/British clone, I will HAVE to buy one. I already have a Suzuki TU250X. It's a great little bike and more fun than you'd think for a small bike.

I wish Kawi had waited and brought out the FI W800 before the W650 because I think it would have given them a better outlook on the retro market. I believe it would be much better suited to American bikers. Besides the W800, have you seen all of the retro bikes the Japanese guys are making that are not being imported here? If the Japanese keep coming out with these retro bikes here, I may have to go back to work!
[/quote
LOL! Yea my nightmares R that I am no longer retired and I had to run my business again. Talking about the Dart Screen I had a color matched one on my Scramble and they look good but do virtually nothing in the function department. I think the W800 is still too small a motor. I Had my 790 Bonneville bored to 904. That wome it up plenty.
I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not?
I have a small screen (not a Dart, admittedly) on my Hawk GT and it functions exactly as I want it to; it keeps the wind off my chest and keeps my helmet in the clean airflow above. I'm hoping the Dart will function similarly on the CB1100, but am not expecting a Goldwing, cocoon-like level of protection. Am wondering if the Dart on your Scrambler kept any wind off your chest or not? Yea it did keep some wind off my chest. It may be just what U R looking for. It sure does look good. I would not go clear. Color match it to the silver R the Red!
 
Back
Top