Dart Screens For 2017 EX & RS

I go with the standard flyscreen. I like the concept of the Marlin on paper but in reality the angle of the top of the screen directed the wind blast right to my head like a wind tunnel. The standard works wonderfully and I've had the bike to 100mph comfortably.

Just my .02
 
Yes, it moves it forward. Not sure exactly how much.

Yes, the Marlin does shimmy enough to observe in the daylight. Not enough to bother me, YMMV.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
I go with the standard flyscreen. I like the concept of the Marlin on paper but in reality the angle of the top of the screen directed the wind blast right to my head like a wind tunnel. The standard works wonderfully and I've had the bike to 100mph comfortably.

Just my .02
By standard, do you mean the "Classic" ?
 
For the record, I'm 5'10" and the Marlin puts the air right where I want it (in the shoulders). Yet another example of wind management really coming down to the individual.
 
Thread starter
After searching though numerous feedback posts on Puig, Dart Flyscreen Original, and Dart Marlin screens, it would appear that whether mounted to any of the CB1100s regardless of year, because of the rubber mounting system the headlight brackets are attached to, there is going to be some shake. Kudos to SportsterDoc for identifying the source of the shake associated with headlight bracket screen mounting systems. Smaller screens like the Dart Original Flyscreen, I think will likely have shake, but less evident that larger screens. It would also appear that the only way, as a result to drastically reduce or eliminate shake, is with a screen supported by handlebar stays. Of all the numerous reviews read, the Dart Original, and Marlin appear to have the most favorable comments.

As I posted at the beginning of the thread, I had originally thought about the Road Comet, but that it was a bit more than what I wanted. I like the look of the RC, so the Dart Marlin appealed to me as being somewhat similar in size and shape. What I did not know was that apparently RC owners had experienced shake with it ( and we now know where that shake probably comes from ), until I found and read this post: Road Comet Faring - Shaking Windshield Fix .


With so many positive comments about the Dart Original and Marlin, size, shape, look, and bike specific brackets, I will probably go with one of them and am leaning toward the Marlin at the moment. I pity CB1100 owners that do not have access to the wealth of information the Forum provides.
 
jdinaz_imp said:
DaSwami_imp said:
I go with the standard flyscreen. I like the concept of the Marlin on paper but in reality the angle of the top of the screen directed the wind blast right to my head like a wind tunnel. The standard works wonderfully and I've had the bike to 100mph comfortably.

Just my .02
By standard, do you mean the "Classic" ?
By standard, do you mean the "Classic" ?
Yes.....
 
DaSwami_imp said:
jdinaz_imp said:
DaSwami_imp said:
I go with the standard flyscreen. I like the concept of the Marlin on paper but in reality the angle of the top of the screen directed the wind blast right to my head like a wind tunnel. The standard works wonderfully and I've had the bike to 100mph comfortably.

Just my .02
By standard, do you mean the "Classic" ?
By standard, do you mean the "Classic" ?
Yes.....
By standard, do you mean the "Classic" ?
Yes.....Classic"
Have to 2nd on the "Classic" as I have installed on my '14 and it is a great improvement over naked, takes wind blast off the chest and deflects those bugs off, and looks unobtrusive. Big screens are unnecessary and ugly, keep this beautiful bike not ugly!
 
I have the Dart Piranha Screen which is their newest and smallest fly-catcher. I took a photo with the original headlight bracket next to the Dart bracket. I would say the headlight is no more than an inch forward of it’s stock position with the Dart bracket.







I recall that feeling of being potentially blown off the bike at higher speed when I did an 8000km East Coast tour last summer with the bike totally stock. I do not get that feeling with the Piranha Screen and the wind is clean and unbuffeted around my upper body. Nevertheless I recently ordered the Marlin Screen to see if the extra real estate would improve wind management but now I’m not sure I will use it if it causes the headlight bucket to shake more. Thanks for identifying this issue. Great forum...
 
Mandrau: "if it causes the headlight bucket to shake more"

It may shake more, but I doubt it will be enough to bother you. I rode mine for about an hour the other night and I only noticed it shaking (a little) when I remembered that I had been talking about this on this forum and decided to pay attention. I think you will be happy with the Marlin.
 
Its amazing how efficient a tiny screen can be and how noisy and ineffient a much larger screen can be.
 
Thread starter
I have continued to research source of the shake associated with screens mounted to headlight bucket brackets. My speculations do not apply to screens that use handlebar stays, which are more rigid, but just not what I like personally.

Checking the headlight parts diagrams that can be seen on http://www.babbittsonline.com, I found that there is a difference between the steel rod frame the headlight bracket brackets bolt to for 2013-2016 CBs, compared to 2017-2018 CBs. The 2013-2016 rod frame is "H" shaped, with the two upper legs rubber mounted into the top fork bridge, and the same for the two lower legs into the lower fork bridge. I am guessing the "H" shape would be less prone to twist flex, and movement would probably be more from the rubber bushings. I am also guessing that the rubber mounting is to reduce vibration of the halogen headlight bulb.

By comparison, the 2017-2018 steel rod headlight support frame is "Y" shaped, with the two upper legs rubber mounted into the top fork bridge, and the single lower leg rubber mounted into the lower fork bridge. Since 2017-2018 uses an LED headlamp, and I am not aware the LED lights are particularly fragile or vulnerable to vibration, I am wondering if rubber mounting was necessary? In any event, it would seem to me that the "Y" shape would be less rigid than the "H" shape, and more prone to twist flex. That, combined with rubber bushings, I think would make screen shake more obvious for 2017-2018 CBs, than 2013-2016 CBs.

As I previously posted, I was not aware of shake associated with the beautiful and very popular Road Comet, until I read this post: Road Comet Faring - Shaking Windshield Fix . It would be very interesting if guitar gord, and other members could post a short Go Pro, or similar video clip of what kind of shake they are seeing, or maybe a link to a Youtube clip. This would be very informative, whether it is the Road Comet, Dart, or any other screen.

The only solution other than adding handlebar stays that I can think of would be fork tube mounted brackets, something like this set on Samurider: https://www.samurider.com/?p=20073 . I imagine Mr. T could say whether or not it would work with Road Comet for 2013-2016. It would not work for any of the Dart, as the Dart brackets move the headlight further forward than stock to achieve correct rearward angle on the screen.

Although it has not resulted in a solution ( yet ), I have trade emails about this topic with Dart, and have found them to be every bit as professional, responsive, and cordial as Mr. T with Samurider. As I like the clean OEM look of Dart, I will probably end up going with Dart regardless of any shake that might be present. I hope my speculations will be helpful at best, thought provoking at the least. :D
 
Yeah, ok. I’m going with DaSwami on this one.
 
My Dart Marlin finally came and as I was installing it I noticed that the brackets that came with it extend the headlamp bucket further forward than the brackets that came with the Piranha flyscreen. Using the Piranha brackets, the Marlin screen ends up resting fairly tightly at two adjacent points on the instrument cluster. It takes a bit of fussing but I nestled a couple of small rubber faucet washers at those contact points and the screen is rock solid.

Now my impressions. There is less pressure on mid torso at freeway speed. Wind is felt more around the shoulders. Wind around my head is fairly clean and unbuffetted. Seems I can relax a little more at freeway speeds. For the record I am 5’7” at about 160lbs. I like the Marlin and will keep it on the bike for my upcoming sojourn to Tofino B.C. But when I want go ‘almost naked’ the piranha screen at least seems to reduce the feeling of being blown off the saddle and keeps the bugs out of the instrument cluster.

Be safe out there...
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
jdinaz_imp said:
I read in a post here (not able to find it now) that someone had removed the Marlin due to the helmet buffeting it was causing. Not trying to be a wet blanket LOL, I'd like one of these too, I think they look great, but I've spent a lot of money on windshields over the last year and they are all sitting in their box on a shelf in my garage. I don't need another one of those. I'm hoping to see some good reports coming in as related to a 2014 Dlx. Thanks !!
I searched "dart marlin" back to Dec 2016 and found nothing about removal.
I have one on my 2014 CB1100 and had one on my 2016 Moto Guzzi V7II.
In both applications, they reduced chest pressure, but made no difference to the helmet (3/4 helmet).

All my other (15) bikes were naked. Now I am spoiled.
I concur with Doc. Same Marlin application on a '14 CB. About 50% wind chest relieve up to about 120 km/h, and no adverse affect on the helmet (3/4 and full face). Over three years of screen usage.
 
Back
Top