Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Elipten_imp said:23 years ago I asked the BMW factory tech what wears out on my K75RT. He said the rider wears out! 24 years latter he was correct! The bike still has lots of life, more than I have.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
Yes, like some of us "old souls", I, too, yearn for the days of yore, when craftsmen who actually cared about what they were doing lovingly assembled each component into a machine that had "character"...or should I say quality? Yes, that's the word, quality. Back in the 1970's, when men were men and motorcycles were motorcycles, a guy had to know how to adjust his points, dry out his electrics, and replace a tube alongside the roadway, anywhere, any time. You had to carry a full toolkit and a couple of quarts of motor oil with you on a long journey.Capo_imp said:Reputations are easy to get and hard to lose. Which is why people still project '70's perceptions on to current machines.
calamarichris_imp said:Elipten_imp said:23 years ago I asked the BMW factory tech what wears out on my K75RT. He said the rider wears out! 24 years latter he was correct! The bike still has lots of life, more than I have.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
Dakota_imp said:calamarichris_imp said:Elipten_imp said:23 years ago I asked the BMW factory tech what wears out on my K75RT. He said the rider wears out! 24 years latter he was correct! The bike still has lots of life, more than I have.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here... "electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase" As opposed to the bottom half of the crankcase? "Bored" cylinders as opposed to broached? Do you understand what is required for long life piston/ cylinder life?
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
Red Mist_imp said:Dakota_imp said:calamarichris_imp said:Elipten_imp said:23 years ago I asked the BMW factory tech what wears out on my K75RT. He said the rider wears out! 24 years latter he was correct! The bike still has lots of life, more than I have.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here... "electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase" As opposed to the bottom half of the crankcase? "Bored" cylinders as opposed to broached? Do you understand what is required for long life piston/ cylinder life?
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here... "electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase" As opposed to the bottom half of the crankcase? "Bored" cylinders as opposed to broached? Do you understand what is required for long life piston/ cylinder life? Consider yourself schooled, Dakota.:rofl:
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
Dakota_imp said:calamarichris_imp said:Elipten_imp said:23 years ago I asked the BMW factory tech what wears out on my K75RT. He said the rider wears out! 24 years latter he was correct! The bike still has lots of life, more than I have.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
BMW is not motorraadfabriek it once was. I wouldn't trade your K75 for three of the new F800STs.
And Honda is not the quality-control powerhouse that it once was either. I predict that CB750 will outlast more than a few CB1100s.Flynrider_imp said:There's a guy over on the Nighthawk site with over 250K miles on his CB750. The engine has never been apart.
The people and processes that produced Honda automobiles in the 1970's are not necessarily the same people & processes that are currently producing Honda motorcycles.Bayoucityrider_imp said:I have seen plenty of Honda car engines apart with well over 150k miles on them and you can still see honing marks in the good old fashion iron sleeves they use in there cars.
If I had a nickel for every misguided squid who said that about his crotch-rocket disposabike with electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase...The ferret_imp said:Judging from past Honda inline 4 air cooled motors, Im guessing 100,000 miles or more.
I don't really understand what you are trying to say here... "electroplated cylinders bored into the top half of his crankcase" As opposed to the bottom half of the crankcase? "Bored" cylinders as opposed to broached? Do you understand what is required for long life piston/ cylinder life?
I guess we'll find out at some point. And I might have learned more by then.calamarichris_imp said:No sighs, dude. In all likelihood, the CB11 is built to last. And I'm not asserting that it isn't, just that Honda is no longer the paragon of longevity that it once was IMO.
It may simply be a matter of Honda very correctly reading the market: scant few sport bikes will ever see more than 50,000 miles, so it's foolish to build them to last to 100K. And there's every likelihood that they are only doing that with their sportbikes, and not with the retro/cruisers like the CB.