Cycle Shell Storage

Krupator_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Has anyone used the cycle shell to store their CB1100? I'm thinking about getting one as the garage I use to store mine will be unavailable to me in the near future. I need something that protects it from the elements during the spring, summer and fall in Pennsylvania.

I'd rather not rent storage space for several reasons. I'll have a garage to put it in for the winter, but it's too far away from my residence to store it during the riding season.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for posting the link popgun!

I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has used it or knows somebody that has. Specifically if it keeps all of the moisture out and how it holds up over time. The reviews for it look good, but a lot of people write reviews shortly after they get a product, not a year later.
 
Krupator, if I could work out an effective search term to find it the posts on this forum about this product, I'd post a link. Someone—maybe in late '13 early '14 bought one and posted about it. If I could recall who it was or where it was posted, you could try asking.

Maybe popgun will remember.

Meanwhile, I don't know what kmoney did, Looking for Inexpensive Cover (Carport Storage )

Or there's this, Winter Cover
 
For what it's worth...
I have a Speedway cover and liked it, but the canvas top gave up the ghost after two years use. The sun got to the fabric and it just shredded. Frame is sturdy and a new cover isn't too expensive, but I haven't bothered to get a new one. I just use a bike cover now.
 
I have owned two of them. A nice designed product, allows you to pull the bike in hot and not wait for it to cool down. The bike will sweat to the point of dripping wet after rain or a morning dew. You need to pull the bike out and let it dry out. Bike will not get wet from rain or will you have any dirt from underneath get in. It comes with a steel plate for positioning the kickstand and a steel plate wheel stop for position the bike. I would not use the center-stand on the plate.

The do make a cycle bag that you pull the bike onto and zip it up. Add condensation bags and it keeps the moisture out. Only disadvantage is the bike needs to be cool but you won't have to worry about rust and mice getting in.

I just pulled it from the garage, has a small hole from mice ( taped area) but in good condition. You can have it if you ever come thru NY Metro, I'm 20 minutes north of Manhattan. Its to big to ship.



[url=http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/cipolla57/media/IMG_0452_zpsmbnktjts.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
Thanks CIP. I'll be in philly in a few months. I may take you up on that offer if it's still on the table then. This definitely seems like one of the best options for my situation.

Just to clarify, it is waterproof right? You mentioned that it will be wet after a rain or dew from sweating. So it's just condensation I have to worry about.
 
Its waterproof, there are vents on the front and back but nothing can get in. If humidity is down the bike will stay dry and free of moisture. Should not be a problem where you live.

PM me when your in the area if your still interested.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
For what it's worth...
I have a Speedway cover and liked it, but the canvas top gave up the ghost after two years use. The sun got to the fabric and it just shredded. Frame is sturdy and a new cover isn't too expensive, but I haven't bothered to get a new one. I just use a bike cover now.
(+1) My competing brand canvas cover lasted three years before the UV sun beat it down good. It shredded too.
 
why not the good old classic bike cover...just after 3 years will have made the sun always his UV work......

i remember somebody made a thread with somehow a air pressur cell solution ....
 
I have many m/c covers. Sometimes one gets tired of using covers, so had to try something different. A tent made sense, but ultimately when the sun beats down on it day-after-day, the plastic treated or plastic-based product will fail.
 
Interesting thread, thanks for bringing it current GO. I've been looking for something like this. My situation is similar to Krupator's, it would be interesting to hear how he made out.
 
Krupator hasn’t been on here since 2016. I’m thinking we aren’t going to find out how he did.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Interesting thread, thanks for bringing it current GO. I've been looking for something like this. My situation is similar to Krupator's, it would be interesting to hear how he made out.
Thanks KiowaEagle.

Here is a product I used out of British Columbia, Canada:

The Bike Barn

I used the Tourer model. Lots of room to slink around inside.

The concept works, but the treated canvas did not perform to my expectations. I suspect desert sun would really shorten the life of the material causing more frequent cover replacement.

Maybe similar competitor versions perform better in the sun.
 
That's a shame....
I use a cover but I can't tell you how many times I've gotten home from a ride and it starts raining within a hour, too early to put the cover on, then it rains for days. It would be nice to have something like this that can cover it immediately. If anyone else can comment, please do.

Edit: You commented as I was writing this. Thanks for the input GO.
 
Back
Top