Cycle Glyder - motorcycle dolly

Huladog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Space is tight in my garage and I had been backing the CB into the parking spot in front of my car since the CB is small enough but was getting tired of it. I used to park a BMW R1200RT in the same spot and before that a Harley Street Glide (but I used a J&S rolling jack for that beast, great quality jack by they way).

Was going to get a Legal Speeding "Park-n-Move" that would let me roll around the bike once it was on the center stand, but what if I got another bike without a center stand?

So I spent a long time trying to find a decent quality "dolly" that would let me roll the bike onto the thing and then roll it into the parking spot. Finally ordered the Cycle Glyder by Droptail Trailers out of Texas - droptailtrailers.com.

Yes, you can definitely find cheaper ones, but their version has a lot of fat casters plus I figured the v-channel would help keep the bike centered when rolling onto the dolly.

c1c0e68e3648e88320484d9ae365e19c.jpg


This thing isn't cheap at around $240 or so depending on the retailer and you guys can certainly get it shipped for a lot less than I paid, but I have to say this thing is SOLID.

While researching how to order it with a semi-reasonable shipping cost (got it from J.C. Whitney using some discount coupons, remember them?) the manufacturer told me how big the box was but the overall dimensions didn't quite compute in my brain so when it arrived I was surprised it was so big and that the main section is one piece and not bolted together. The thing barely fit into my SUV and good thing the nice guys at the UPS Store helped me load it. Did I say it was SOLID & HEAVY?

0c8d699b924aa7cf48c145980dba141f.jpg


ad1be01949cdb774b1c92c55f900ab82.jpg


I ordered it after watching some guy with a Harley touring rig ride his bike onto the dolly and roll it into his storage shed. That big cruiser fit onto the dolly so that gives me all kinds of options for future bikes. This thing is a keeper since it was such an expensive hassle to order.

CAUTION NOTES: Because I am short the first time I rode my bike onto the dolly I could barely reach the ground and lower the side stand, so I scrounged up some "pallets" I had laying around to give me some solid footing.

7c8c3a9e90b06e3daedca6db09cd9e29.


I also had to add a piece of wood into the side stand section since the bike leaned over way too much and made me panic.

11bd8a371d5fa4ba375f08c0778846fa.jpg


Now it's a piece of cake to ride the bike onto the dolly. When it's time to ride I swivel the front end toward the garage door and roll it off. Rotate the dolly 180 degrees so it's ready for me to ride the bike back onto it when I return.

I wish there were cheaper ways to ship heavy but good quality stuff to Hawaii. The last time I ordered something this heavy was when I got the J&S jack for the Harley. The shipping cost almost as much as the jack, but at least the manufacturer up in Wisconsin packed it really well and even used injected foam to fill up empty space in the cardboard box. If you're looking for a heavy duty jack that rolls easily, look them up - http://www.jsjacks.com/.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Sounds like a good idea, in the colder months when I try to keep both cars in the garage, I have to squeeze the CB into a very tight specific spot, sounds like the dolly would let me roll it right in. Do you have a further back photo of how it sets on the sidestand.....to a piece included on the dolly?
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Sounds like a good idea, in the colder months when I try to keep both cars in the garage, I have to squeeze the CB into a very tight specific spot, sounds like the dolly would let me roll it right in. Do you have a further back photo of how it sets on the sidestand.....to a piece included on the dolly?
Will go take a pic and post it.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
My son sent me this video the other day. Thought this thing was kinda of cool

 
Thread starter
That IS a cool tool! Looks like it saves more space since the bike stands upright and not leaning over. Cycle Glyder comes in a more expensive version that has a front wheel stand also. (Yikes! I just expanded the text on the YouTube page and noticed it costs $1,200!!!!)

There was this other cool tool from Europe where you rolled the contraption up to your rear wheel and it would grab-n-jack up the rear wheel so you could wheel it around and park your bike. Didn't find a USA distributor though and think it was really expensive.

I also checked with Anderson Stands down in Australia who has a nice rear wheel stand with casters but they didn't think it would fit the CB swing arm with the muffler so low.

Taking me awhile to get that rear view photo shot, by the time I get home it's dark and the iPhone flash isn't the greatest so I need to wait till the weekend when I roll the bike around.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Thread starter
Finally got off my lazy butt and took some pics to show how the side stand looks on the dolly.

ec14f5a21ddba371bac9ba78d5b0228d.jpg


846162828febd7e9c3b05de3b197b6a6.jpg


cd0d013b53cf5b05413b367ab5efcfd3.jpg


You can see there is plenty of room for a longer side stand like on a Harley or other large cruiser.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Huladog,
Those case guards look nice! I put sliders on mine so I'm not going to change, but I like yours.

Mind if I ask what that tag with the 5 on it under your lic. plate is?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Huladog,
Those case guards look nice! I put sliders on mine so I'm not going to change, but I like yours.

Mind if I ask what that tag with the 5 on it under your lic. plate is?
Hawaii is one of the few states that require annual "safety inspections" or you can't register your vehicle. At least they modified it a few years ago so brand new cars don't need to get an inspection until 2 years after purchase.

Pain the rear since not many places want to bother doing a motorcycle safety inspection other than the dealers.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I see.

We have those too in Virginia. But the sticker has to be somewhere on the left side of the bike. My dealer sells an aluminum plate with a hole so you can bolt it on where you like. See them on all brand bikes.

Or they will stick it on your fork. And "I can't go for that." (song reference)
 
I am interested in that windshield you have, part number as well as company that supplies it. Are you happy with it, see lots of windshields out there but a lot of them are not suited to the CB.
 
Thread starter
It's the Puig Universal Plus that several of us on the forum use. Not even sure if Puig says it fits the CB1100 but it does.

Got it from these guys:
http://www.monsterparts.com/pc/4620/WS-Round/4620.html

Very stable since it mounts to the headlight bracket and rests against the back of the instrument panel. They provide stick-on pads to cushion the windscreen against the instrument panel.

Pretty thick plastic plus the curves help strengthen it, too.

I switch between the Puig (which works well) and the Road Comet (which looks better).

Aloha,
Huladog
 
When I got mine I think is was not shown for the '13 model. Had to look at the '10 model. That may have been on the Puig site though.
 
Back
Top