Criticisms from other riders

Charlie Bravo_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm sure all riders have been on the receiving end of other riders opinions. Here are a few of the ones I've received:
Out at my BIL's place in Hesperia, the high desert, we were getting ready to head out one fine autumn day when I see him looking over my bike, the FJR I had at the time. Admittedly, I'm not in the wash-and-polish every time I ride it school of thought, but it looked pretty decent, at least, but he shakes his head, snorts, and says "Don't you ever wash that thing?" Well, I look at his bike and it is spotless, no brake dust on the rims, no road grime anywhere, it looks like a garage queen, but I know it has over 75k miles on it. All I could come up with was a mumbled statement that I did wash it when I thought it necessary. He just shook his head.
Another time, me and a bud are at my house, getting ready to head out. It's a little cool, so I don a leather bike jacket that I'd had for a long time. My bud looks at the jacket and says, "That jacket needs some leather conditioner on it." I acknowledged his statement but didn't defend myself. Later that day, we're at our fave meet-up place, the famous Sancho's Tacos in Huntington Beach. It's getting late, and I say, "Well, gotta head home, see ya." He says, "Yeah, go home and put some leather treatment on your jacket." The nerve!
Another time, me and another bud are coming back from the American Legion post in Newport Beach. He is coming to my house because he is carrying a large sack of take-out grub that I'm bringing home. We get to my house and pull into the driveway. We dismount, and without a word, he comes over to my bike, leans down and gives my chain the tension test, then straightens up and says, "You oughta see to that chain, it has way too much slack in it." After he leaves, I check the chain. There is some slack, but not "way too much". The nerve of some people, but I did adjust it the next day. Has anyone else ran into this kind of thing? But, I guess it means something that our friends are looking out for us, right?
 
dirty bike? leather jacket needs conditioner? chain has too much slack? Naa never bwahaahaahhaa. That's how I live man. Bike get washed twice a year in spring and fall. Leather jacket never gets the bugs removed. Chain gets adjusted when I get new tires.

Don't have time for that stuff, it takes away from my riding time. I'd rather ride.
 
The ferret_imp said:
dirty bike? leather jacket needs conditioner? chain has too much slack? Naa never bwahaahaahhaa. That's how I live man. Bike get washed twice a year in spring and fall. Leather jacket never gets the bugs removed. Chain gets adjusted when I get new tires.

Don't have time for that stuff, it takes away from my riding time. I'd rather ride.
This is understandable Ferret.

Why would anyone waste life washing a bike and storing it away when it could be enjoyed in the festive winter time?

On the other hand, I suppose a nice, shiny clean bike will sell faster in the estate sale after the owner missed all those winter riding opportunities before passing on.
 
Probably, no, definitly, but I'm not worried about that, that will be my son's problem lol
 
Oof. Those are at least good natured things. In their mind they're helping you. Try this one:

I took a test ride on the vaunted BMW R18 not too long ago. It was a nice slow ride down country roads in Alabama. After the test the guy singled me out and asked me to talk to him about what I thought about the bike. Probably because I was far and away the youngest guy there and I had a passenger. I said it was like something from another universe.

"What universe is that?" He asked.

"One without turns." He laughed and asked what im talking about.

I told him point blank that I'm sure it's for somebody. But its not for me. Not at all. I'm used to feeling response and feedback from my bike. I'm used to being able to lean more than 3 degrees without sparks coming off hard parts. And the worst part of all I told him the thing was literally rattling the fillings out of my head. There are vibrational bikes and then there's this. A 1.8 liter boxer feels like a literal jackhammer anywhere above 3000 rpms.

He gets a bit of a sour look and goes "if you're feeling that it means shift up."

Really? You're going to defend your bike by implying I don't understand manual transmissions? I said, "The bike is a 6 speed...I was getting serious vibrations at around 3k rpms. This means if I get anywhere north of 60mph in 6th gear I'm in full vibration mode. If I'm intended to 'shift up' before 3k rpms that means I run out of gears before reaching highway speeds. So you're telling me your 1.8 liter transcontinental touring bike can't handle the highway? "

He was quiet and then said something about how it's meant to take in the scenery...yea ok.

Don't tell me when to shift man:rofl:
 
Never have that problem with the folks I ride with, we're all too old to care about such things. The only comment shared is a recognition of a new mod or a heads up if a dangerous condition is noticed. I clean mine with a good wash couple of times a year and a wipe down with some Honda cleaner and a rag before I ride. Living on a dirt road has made me picky about chain cleaning and maintenance though.
 
I must say that I never had any negative comments about my bikes from anyone ever , if they did they would regret it for the rest of their life.....
 
I had one last summer...I pulled over on the side of an on-ramp to hiway, completely out of harm's way, right next to the guard rail...about as far from the solid white line on my left as I could...must have been 6-8 feet from the right edge of the on-ramp. Guy pulls up to me in his car, his partner rolls down the window and he says "Man, you just picked the absolutely worst spot anyone ever chose to pull over on a motorcycle...and I ride, like, lots, man so I know what I'm talking about".

He gave me an exasperated look when I said "ok, thanks for that info" as I went back to checking my phone for an upcoming turn-off I didn't want to miss.

It seemed lost on him that there were two cars behind him waiting for him to finish giving me his opinion so that they could continue.

I thought he stopped because he was going to compliment me on the CB1100 or to check and see if I needed help.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
dirty bike? leather jacket needs conditioner? chain has too much slack? Naa never bwahaahaahhaa. That's how I live man. Bike get washed twice a year in spring and fall. Leather jacket never gets the bugs removed. Chain gets adjusted when I get new tires.

Don't have time for that stuff, it takes away from my riding time. I'd rather ride.
This is understandable Ferret.

Why would anyone waste life washing a bike and storing it away when it could be enjoyed in the festive winter time?

On the other hand, I suppose a nice, shiny clean bike will sell faster in the estate sale after the owner missed all those winter riding opportunities before passing on.
This is understandable Ferret.

Why would anyone waste life washing a bike and storing it away when it could be enjoyed in the festive winter time?

On the other hand, I suppose a nice, shiny clean bike will sell faster in the estate sale after the owner missed all those winter riding opportunities before passing on.
Oof! Never felt guilty for having a clean bike before. Hoping my estate sale is quite a ways off then.
 
You dont have to feel guilty about having a clean anything. For some of us, its just not our thing. My estate sale is a lot closer than yours I'm sure.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I had one last summer...I pulled over on the side of an on-ramp to hiway, completely out of harm's way, right next to the guard rail...about as far from the solid white line on my left as I could...must have been 6-8 feet from the right edge of the on-ramp. Guy pulls up to me in his car, his partner rolls down the window and he says "Man, you just picked the absolutely worst spot anyone ever chose to pull over on a motorcycle...and I ride, like, lots, man so I know what I'm talking about".

He gave me an exasperated look when I said "ok, thanks for that info" as I went back to checking my phone for an upcoming turn-off I didn't want to miss.

It seemed lost on him that there were two cars behind him waiting for him to finish giving me his opinion so that they could continue.

I thought he stopped because he was going to compliment me on the CB1100 or to check and see if I needed help.
Seems everyone has an opinion - at all costs. :dodgy:
 
I was on the giving end of criticism once. My riding buddy grew up in the 50’s in the south side of Chicago and would never consider owning a Japanese bike, or even sitting on one for that matter. She was married to her 883 Sportster. No ifs, ands, or buts. End of discussion.

On a ride with her up US 395 to Mammoth Lakes (wide open desert), I pulled over and asked if she’d like to try my Concours 1000 for a few miles, and I’d ride her Sporty. Much to my amazement, she agreed, and off we went.

I couldn’t believe how much that HD vibrated, rattled, bottomed out, veered off line, and just felt like garbage. When we pulled over again a few miles later, she was grinning from ear to ear. She couldn’t believe how smooth and composed and effortless my bike was. I told her in no uncertain terms what I thought about her POS and remarked that I didn’t even know how she could ride it for any distance. I don’t think I offended her but I was truly shocked how lousy a bike she had. That was my first and last ride on a Harley.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I'm sure all riders have been on the receiving end of other riders opinions. Here are a few of the ones I've received:
Out at my BIL's place in Hesperia, the high desert, we were getting ready to head out one fine autumn day when I see him looking over my bike, the FJR I had at the time. Admittedly, I'm not in the wash-and-polish every time I ride it school of thought, but it looked pretty decent, at least, but he shakes his head, snorts, and says "Don't you ever wash that thing?" Well, I look at his bike and it is spotless, no brake dust on the rims, no road grime anywhere, it looks like a garage queen, but I know it has over 75k miles on it. All I could come up with was a mumbled statement that I did wash it when I thought it necessary. He just shook his head.
Another time, me and a bud are at my house, getting ready to head out. It's a little cool, so I don a leather bike jacket that I'd had for a long time. My bud looks at the jacket and says, "That jacket needs some leather conditioner on it." I acknowledged his statement but didn't defend myself. Later that day, we're at our fave meet-up place, the famous Sancho's Tacos in Huntington Beach. It's getting late, and I say, "Well, gotta head home, see ya." He says, "Yeah, go home and put some leather treatment on your jacket." The nerve!
Another time, me and another bud are coming back from the American Legion post in Newport Beach. He is coming to my house because he is carrying a large sack of take-out grub that I'm bringing home. We get to my house and pull into the driveway. We dismount, and without a word, he comes over to my bike, leans down and gives my chain the tension test, then straightens up and says, "You oughta see to that chain, it has way too much slack in it." After he leaves, I check the chain. There is some slack, but not "way too much". The nerve of some people, but I did adjust it the next day. Has anyone else ran into this kind of thing? But, I guess it means something that our friends are looking out for us, right?
I have yet to wash my EX and I have had her quite awhile now, yet she still looks brand new! (only about 3500 miles on her since I got her)
 
The way my personality works, I'd be scheming about a chance to offer "constructive criticism" back to them the next time they offer it to you. My solution to unwanted commentary is to immediately offer unwanted commentary. Pretty soon they realize the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
 
I’m either perfect, or I look too intimidating for anyone to extend a criticism. I think it’s the latter.
 
Hey Gone, your bike needs washing. Get on it.

See, it's easy to be a keyboard commando :D

Not so easy face to face (Gone doesn't have my address I hope...)
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I’m either perfect, or I look too intimidating for anyone to extend a criticism. I think it’s the latter.
" ... hey bud, stop staring at your tire and move that piece of * off the highway so that I don't have to tell you already ... "

" ... you are still looking at me, ... move on already. That thing should be restricted to the sidewalk ... "

And if that wasn't enough:

" ... get a Harley!"


(yawn)

Be safe everyone.
 
A while back at a motorcycle meet I had a guy approach me to check out my Z1 Kawasaki. After his short inspection he said that I had the wrong right hand fork slider because it had the brackets on it for a second caliper. I said that I purchased the bike brand new and that's how they came. He disagreed and stated that he had the correct slider at home without the mounting hardware on it. I just had to walk away.
 
Tezza, I have a book called the Kawasaki Z1 story. The pics show exactly what you have.
 
Back
Top