CRF1000 Africa Twin

rboe

Road warrior
Thread starter
Any of you guys seriously considering this machine (or just eager to drool over it)?
 
I just drool. But to me they are Dakar Rally type bike. Too big for me to handle on a bush track. The Euros seem to be particularly enamoured of them. Range, carrying capacity, power, handle well, solid. What is not to like? After all they are a Honda.

Cheers, and Rboe, I know you are (a little) younger than me and can lift a CB with your little finger, but are you seriously considering?
 
Thread starter
Hmm, good question. I bought the 650L because the Quota was too heavy for my skill set off road. The 650L is still a couple hundred pounds too heavy for my skill set. I fear a CT110 (your posty bike sp?) maybe closer to what I can use.

Still, These bikes can make great road machines, especially for a tall guy like me. It's lighter than the CB, and I do like doing dirt roads from time to time so ...... dang, I'd like to. The budget will be great decider. As usual. :P
 
I want to see it in the flesh but am not at this point seriously considering it. I have in mind a three bike stable. 2 of which I own.

1) The CB 1100 as an extended 3-4 day weekend sport tourer for Utah/Idaho and Wyoming paved back roads and the occasional 3-5 mile stretch on well groomed dirt/gravel to get to a fly fishing stream. Last summer it began also seeing double duty as a daily rider on an 8 mile one way commute to work.

2) The Moto Guzzi V7 Racer as a weekend only bike to ride around the local area with friends and the occasional 50-250 mile one day trip through the mountains.

That leaves the 3rd slot for an ADV/Scambler type bike. With the terrain we have in Utah its almost mandated to have one. In 2009 three of us walked into a Kawi dealer in Logan Utah and bought 3 new black KLR's on the spot (only color they had and they gave us a smoking deal for clearing them out). Fast forward 9 months and I was the only one that still had the bike. Rode some gnarly stuff out in the Owyhee Wilderness in south-eastern Oregon just 2 months after I had an ACL replaced. Ended up keeping it for 6 years but always thought it was too top heavy even with the lowering links...especially with the tank full. Rode about a 100 miles on gravel with it last year in south western Wyoming. My bud was there with his Triumph Scrambler and went everywhere I went with a bike 100 pounds heavier right out of the gate without gear on it. Trick is he had a much lower center of gravity even though the Scrambler has less suspension travel.

bfc8d0f7d0fca09925218da4c89dd04a.jpg


So, chances are the Honda will have some of those same drawbacks. Heavy (to me) and somewhat high center of gravity. I'm waiting for the new Moto Guzzi Scrambler or scrambler kits to hit my local dealer. I like the V7 Stone, it's shaft drive, can go tubeless, has a LOW center of gravity, a 5.8 gallon tank that provides plenty of backcountry range between fill ups, and comes in at under 400 pound dry. I like those numbers and with a scrambler kit it may be the ticket for me if Guzzi doesn't have a V7 Scrambler model as standard.
 
Guzzi is producing the V7 Stornello scrambler for 2016 but in limited numbers I understand.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guzzi is producing the V7 Stornello scrambler for 2016 but in limited numbers I understand.
LOL...with a world-wide production of around 7-8K bikes EVERYTHING in MG's line-up is in limited numbers :D
 
Africa Twin looks to be a winner for Honda but bikes like this simply do not work for me. Even when lowered they're too tall and with their high COG, give me the feeling of never really being in control. A traditional scrambler like the Triumph or Ducati work better for me off road. Though heavier and lacking suspension travel and ground clearance to match the likes of KTM's and such, scramblers are easier to handle at the lower speeds that I ride off pavement.
 
The 'scrambled' retro- classics like the Triumph and soon to be launched MG Stornello are primarily styling exercises, with precious little to make them off- road capable. I've used my Bonneville on some sandy one- track paths and it handled them fine, but even with semi- knobbies, another inch of suspension, and a bash plate, a Scrambler is still a heavy and vulnerable street bike at heart. I would love, love, love to see the return of the old fashioned 'Enduro' bikes of the '70's and '80's. 500CC, under 33 inch seat height, less than 400 LBS, and retro style. Sign me up!
 
A few days ago one of the threads mentioned Peter Egens trilogy of books named Leanings. Even though I ordered it from NY during their snow storms the book still arrived within four days. The danger with reading Egan is that during his long motorcycling journalistic career he has touched on most topics and there is a danger of using his wit to answer questions on the Forum so I'll restrict myself to this one time. I've just read an article entitled, "Too much bike, not enough road" in which he discusses the problems associated with large trail bikes on challenging terrain and after a couple of days in Copper Canyon he comes to the conclusion that even a 650cc is too big for the tough stuff? The Africa Twin will be a roaring success in Europe because riders over here like the road comfort of big trail bikes but very few of them will ever leave the Tarmac. Also, in England we don't have the freedom to venture off road without trespassing on private land. Recently I spent a weekend at an off road centre where they had 450cc & 250cc bikes. I grabbed a 450 in the morning but after lunch I swopped it for a 250 and enjoyed the afternoon.
 
I really like it, and after seeing it in person I like it more. Had the 750 AT back in the 90's and loved it. At the time I sold it eventually as I found the engine lacking power. That should not be a problem with this one. Will have a test ride in the spring.

And unlike quietguy, I particularly like the fact it is a twin.
 
Is there actually a 4 cyl adventure bike? The triumph tripple in the Tiger is the highest cylinder count that comes to my mind.
 
I will be getting one in 2017.

I sold my xr650l, vfr750, and Ktm990 adv last year. With two small kids I wasn't riding much. I picked up the cb1100 as my about town when I could get out for a whim ride, bike. I love the cb1100 for it..

However, in 2017 my youngest will be 4. So I want back into the adv market and the AT is the top of my list.. It's supposed to be orientated for the dirt as well as the road.

For those that want more street, Honda does have the vfr1200x
 
Paulb has got it right. It's more of an adventure tourer, if there is such a thing. And of course there is. In my previous post I said I wouldn't go near an Africa Twin for a scrub track. However if I wanted to explore the vast remote areas of Australia the AT is a superb machine. Sand, stone, gravel, mud, rocky dry and wet creek crossings and a long way between drinks characterise this part of the world. Not only that it has the carrying capacity for the essential safety and survival gear that must, yes must, be carried. If you don't use it in that role it is also a superb adventure poser - great street cred. Particularly if you cover it with stickers from Botswana, Australia or Chile and never wash it :). But for a good day in a state forest give me something in the 150/250 class.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Paulb has got it right. It's more of an adventure tourer, if there is such a thing. And of course there is. In my previous post I said I wouldn't go near an Africa Twin for a scrub track. However if I wanted to explore the vast remote areas of Australia the AT is a superb machine. Sand, stone, gravel, mud, rocky dry and wet creek crossings and a long way between drinks characterise this part of the world. Not only that it has the carrying capacity for the essential safety and survival gear that must, yes must, be carried. If you don't use it in that role it is also a superb adventure poser - great street cred. Particularly if you cover it with stickers from Botswana, Australia or Chile and never wash it :). But for a good day in a state forest give me something in the 150/250 class.

Cheers

Hey, I need to get me some stickers for the ST.

Supposedly from the test reports I am reading, if you are man enough, the AT is bike enough in the dirt

However I would use it like Ptero if I had one...as an Adventure Tourer. Upright seating, some weather protection, good storage, and plenty of power for exploring America's back roads and super highways.
 
Thread starter
November 2015 Motorcyclist, Scramblers in the Rockies. The author and a buddy take a Bonnie scrambler and Ducati scrambler off to a rally in Gunnison Colorado. The bikes did very well. Much better than they expected - but not as good as dirt bikes of coarse. But much better than anyone expected.

It was a fun read.
 
Back
Top