Crank Case Cover removal?

motoWest_imp said:
I know this thread is old, but I thought I would chime in with my experience. To make a long story short, I was unable to remove my cover. I drained the oil, removed all the bolts, got a rag and mallet and . . . . the dang thing wouldn't come off! I'm not sure if someone had removed it before me and applied a super gasket of some sort, but I was in my garage for two hours tapping and pulling and cursing.

In the end, I had to refill the bike with oil, apply some JB Weld to the hole in the stator cover (side-swiped in traffic, that's another story) and take it to the shop with my tail between my legs.

On the plus side, because I provided all the parts, the shop bill was only $90. In hindsight, I would've saved myself a lot of grief had I taken it there to begin with.
FWIW, in 2009 I wanted to remove a cover on my Blackbird so that I could replace a broken stator. Same story, tapping, banging but resisting the urge to lever it off with a chisel. I never was able to remove it and it was as it was installed from the factory since I bought that bike new. Professional mechanics must use some kind of slide hammer device to remove it ? maybe ?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Whad 'bout sum sort of ultra-sonic device to tease it loose?


Anyway, sumthin' higher frequency than a bedside drawer device.
After all the tears and not being able to to get that cover off, I really wonder how the pros do it !
 
They probably look around to make sure no one is looking and give it a mighty belt with a rubber mallet. :D
 
thinnest feeler gauge you've got. work it in easy then work your way around

also might try bumping the motor. if those gears seen in post 9 have tension on them, that could prevent it from slipping off I think.
 
jimgl3_imp said:
thinnest feeler gauge you've got. work it in easy then work your way around

also might try bumping the motor. if those gears seen in post 9 have tension on them, that could prevent it from slipping off I think.
hmm... I've been thinking of giving the CB engine cases a good polish some day, I'll have to keep this mind when it's time to take the covers off !

When trying to remove my old Blackbird stator cover I gave it MANY mighty whacks with a rubber mallet, didn't budge it a bit. It was/is amazingly stuck on there.
 
Why didn’t I think of that?
 
Stopped using rubber mallet for anything a long long time ago.

Dead blow hammers work wonders. Cheap too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I had to look up dead blow hammers. What a great idea.
 
Normally i will use a sharp knife and work it out from the point where there is dowel pin. Trying to push and pry and hammer in using the knife at that point, might scratch a bit, but its on the outer area. Or if no dowel pin, will put in the screw loosely and work from the screw area. I do that to stop my knife from going too deep inside and damage the mating surface
and whatever components inside. But there are mechanic advice me from doing so as that area is weaker due to a hole there and i might actually break the cover near the screw hole.
If there is opening cap such as the crank position marking cover, i use a stopper kind of like screw sleeve or plastic tube and screw in the cap with the sleeve. it will push the cover out as the cap push in.
 
If you know where dowel pin(s) is placed, I would start from there, the most "sticky" point.
 
Probably doesn’t help that its magnetically held too.
 
I'd try some fishing line or thin wire around the joint, and add tension with a "tourniquet", so the line presses around the whole perimeter (well, it will miss concave areas). This should help opening a gap.
 
I know it’s an old post, but putting this out there just in case anyone stumbles on it and needs the help…

Relative to right side cover (but assume the same is true on the left): DO NOT BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE COVER! Mallet, deadblow or otherwise. There are two guide pins on the inside that restrict the cover just popping off. Use a rubber mallet and tap around the edges to break the old liquid gasket seal and the grab the edges and pull toward you. Specific to the right side, don’t pull so hard that rip the cabling out
 
Back
Top