Couple of questions about the spoked wheels on the EX

VLJ_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
To the best of my recollection, I've never owned a bike with spoked wheels. I checked the owner's manual, and there isn't a single mention of the spokes. I asked the service department, and they had no idea. So...

1. Do these spokes require any sort of maintenance? I know that the spokes on motocrossers and trail bikes require periodic tightening, but what about these spokes? Being a streetbike, are the wheels constructed in such a way that it obviates the need for spoke maintenance?

2. What's the best stuff to to use to clean them? Following the ride home from the 600-mile service, suddenly the rear wheel is absolutely caked in gunk.
 
All spoke wheels need watching. Spoke flex at different rates in certain sections of the wheel and each spoke is expected to carry the same weight and stress, so when some flex and get looser, they are not carrying their fair share of the weight or stress. The loose ones need to be tightened to keep the wheel true. Much smaller deal on a street bike than on a dirt bike due to the nature of the terrain they have to deal with. Most mechanics have no clue to art of checking spokes and truing a wheel, most never having dealt with it. You find the loose ones by sound, tapping each spoke ..tink, tink, thunk ( there's your loose one that needs tightening) and a tightening twist with a spoke wrench is required to tighten it back up until it tinks again. However on most street bikes, it's highly unlikely that any spokes will stretch or come loose in a number of years, unless you hit pot holes or run into curbs etc hard enough to flex the wheel.

Oh and I'm the wrong guy to ask about cleaning. :rofl:
 
VLJ_imp said:
To the best of my recollection, I've never owned a bike with spoked wheels. I checked the owner's manual, and there isn't a single mention of the spokes. I asked the service department, and they had no idea. So...

1. Do these spokes require any sort of maintenance? I know that the spokes on motocrossers and trail bikes require periodic tightening, but what about these spokes? Being a streetbike, are the wheels constructed in such a way that it obviates the need for spoke maintenance?

2. What's the best stuff to to use to clean them? Following the ride home from the 600-mile service, suddenly the rear wheel is absolutely caked in gunk.
1. Yes, check for tightness periodically. Some will loosen. I rode my CB750F over a curb to park it at my shop daily for years. It was not the best for the front wheel spokes. If over-tightened or miss-tightened, the rim will not run true...even oscillate at high speeds. It took a dial indicator to get it back to normal.

2. The first miles will throw grease from the o-ring chain...so messier than normal. A wheel brush (automotive alloy wheel type) in a Dawn or other degreaser solution will clean up well. Using Dupont Chain Saver, throw from the chain has become less and less and less.
 
I can't tell from pictures how your spokes attach to the hub but..... I've been reading a book full of old Moto Guzzi Eldorado and Sport magazine reviews. In one article on the 750 Sport the author said the spokes went straight into the hub, no elbo joint like you see on most bikes. He claims that this arrangement greatly reduces the maintenance on spokes - without the elbo forces go directly to the hub with no offset force vector to cause it to loosen up. He said that spoke maintenance was not even mentioned in the manual.

Never heard of that myself, but thought it was a very interesting point so I tucked that factoid away in the brain pan. Had no idea it would be pulled out so soon. :excited:

I have no experience to back up that theory. Just checked - my Griso rear spokes have about a 5 degree bend before going into the hub. Have not inspected them since new. 15K miles ago.
I remember that the most I would do would spin the tire when off the bike and let a screw driver hit each spoke like playing cards on bicycles. I would listen for the same note on all the spokes.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I can't tell from pictures how your spokes attach to the hub but..... I've been reading a book full of old Moto Guzzi Eldorado and Sport magazine reviews. In one article on the 750 Sport the author said the spokes went straight into the hub, no elbo joint like you see on most bikes. He claims that this arrangement greatly reduces the maintenance on spokes - without the elbo forces go directly to the hub with no offset force vector to cause it to loosen up. He said that spoke maintenance was not even mentioned in the manual.

Never heard of that myself, but thought it was a very interesting point so I tucked that factoid away in the brain pan. Had no idea it would be pulled out so soon. :excited:

I have no experience to back up that theory. Just checked - my Griso rear spokes have about a 5 degree bend before going into the hub. Have not inspected them since new. 15K miles ago.
I remember that the most I would do would spin the tire when off the bike and let a screw driver hit each spoke like playing cards on bicycles. I would listen for the same note on all the spokes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are correct, that is the most one should expect to do for spoke maintenance.

You can screw a wheel up real quick by trying to true it without any experience. It's an art form.
 
3rdbike_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I can't tell from pictures how your spokes attach to the hub but..... I've been reading a book full of old Moto Guzzi Eldorado and Sport magazine reviews. In one article on the 750 Sport the author said the spokes went straight into the hub, no elbo joint like you see on most bikes. He claims that this arrangement greatly reduces the maintenance on spokes - without the elbo forces go directly to the hub with no offset force vector to cause it to loosen up. He said that spoke maintenance was not even mentioned in the manual.

Never heard of that myself, but thought it was a very interesting point so I tucked that factoid away in the brain pan. Had no idea it would be pulled out so soon. :excited:

I have no experience to back up that theory. Just checked - my Griso rear spokes have about a 5 degree bend before going into the hub. Have not inspected them since new. 15K miles ago.
I remember that the most I would do would spin the tire when off the bike and let a screw driver hit each spoke like playing cards on bicycles. I would listen for the same note on all the spokes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are correct, that is the most one should expect to do for spoke maintenance.

You can screw a wheel up real quick by trying to true it without any experience. It's an art form.
Yep, definitely one of those tasks where "proceeding with caution" is encouraged. A little tightening can go a long way. Go to far trying to correct a wobble and the next thing you know the wheel is out of round. But I'm also guessing that a bicycle wheel is likely more sensitive to minor adjustments than a motorcycle or car wheel would be.
 
If you have don't trust yourself to check you spokes when you have your tire changed have the tech check them. When we had a shop we never trued or fixed spokes but we know people who we could count on to do it. It is sort of a lost art.
 
WD40 is also great for cleaning up chain lube throw on spokes and rims. I've had 3 bikes with spokes. Keeping them clean is a chore but the price one pays for retro authenticity, good looks and better rim compliance. (Though Comstar-esque alloys have their own look and heritage.)
 
I worked in bicycle shops for almost a decade during my teens and early twenties. We'd occasionally help out a motorcyclist who couldn't find a shop that could effectively true their wheels. As mentioned, a little goes a long way. If you've never done it, do a bit of reading. It's actually not that hard if you start gradually and realize that for every twist in one place, there is an affect elsewhere. We'd learn by using only 1/8th turns on the nipples and going from there. The biggest mistake I'd see by DIYers was over turning. Usually thinking they could get away with a full half turn. Disaster would ensue.
 
My two British vintage bikes have spoked wheels and I rebuilt all four of them myself - new rims and spokes - but believe me, as a raw amateur, it wasn't very easy doing the first wheel.
All I had at the time (1996/97?) was a magazine article with pictures as a guide. After many days and many frustrating hours I had it trued to within factory specs. I was quite pleased with myself, but if you're not a person with a lot of patience, I don't advise trying it. I never gave up, but many times I walked away and came back later or the next day :D
The second wheel went much better and a few years later the other two wheels (new rims and spokes) went even smoother, but by no means quickly.
I like a challenge and it was very satisfying to have done it myself, but not something I would want to do a lot :D :D :D
 
I use Autosol applied with an electric toothbrush (switched off), rub it in then switch the brush on to get the dirt off and finally use a bit off cloth wrapped round the spoke to buff.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Do you use your wife's electric tooth brush or your own ?
Let's just say I've also recommended Autosol on a tooth whitening forum, what she doesn't know won't hurt her
 
Back
Top