Counterfeit Oil Filters

Today I went to Iron Pony (a huge dealer in Columbus, Ohio) and they only had the D02 version made in China. So I'll just keep my Revzilla D02 filters. The parts dude said if I can find the D01 anywhere I should buy a bunch of 'em. And I will. I have 3 Hondas that all take this filter.
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
Indypikes_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Checked all mine and they are all real. But I have a new one for the Forum. It came in a Honda Box, has black internals, not red, but it is taller than the one shown here that are real. All mine except this tall one look just like the real filters with the 6 on the bottom.
[img
2bba0dee75087aeaee3fb46c9dd3c0e8.jpg

]
2f50a63dc794a1d5125ba39e0ed5a400.jpg
db50b985865de1ef0a2854b608232d57.jpg

9fde6eb49036949498aea644944fb872.jpg

I sometimes use HiFlo, but notice it looks a lot like a K&N
I tried this one and it works fine.
330e72cec4e4d85cca86a649f700e24c.jpg
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good.
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good. I will get a lot of flak for this one, but I still use my K&N's also. I have used them for years, and never had one leak. I do not use them on the Hondas because I have so many Honda filters, or the other two brands I use. I use the K&N and Hi Flo on my Kawasaki, and use only K&N internal oil filters on my Suzukis. I do watch the K&N carefully now each time I ride because of the reported failures here, but still not a leak, yet. I like the HiFlo filters too, and have them for the Hondas also, just have not got to them yet. Guess I bought too many filters a years or so ago.
I would like the Forum to check out this tall Honda Filter. The box has no English on it. The base fits fine, and it apparently has a greater capacity due to its size.
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good. I will get a lot of flak for this one, but I still use my K&N's also. I have used them for years, and never had one leak. I do not use them on the Hondas because I have so many Honda filters, or the other two brands I use. I use the K&N and Hi Flo on my Kawasaki, and use only K&N internal oil filters on my Suzukis. I do watch the K&N carefully now each time I ride because of the reported failures here, but still not a leak, yet. I like the HiFlo filters too, and have them for the Hondas also, just have not got to them yet. Guess I bought too many filters a years or so ago.
I would like the Forum to check out this tall Honda Filter. The box has no English on it. The base fits fine, and it apparently has a greater capacity due to its size. Michael, does the tall filter have were it was made/made by on the filter itself? The 1000RR references some OEM filters made by Purflux in France, but no pictures. In my searching around, I have not seen one with that obvious difference in height. I guess unless I could find some credible reference to it, particularly if it came from eBay, I would probably be a little skeptical.
 
2017EX_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Indypikes_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Checked all mine and they are all real. But I have a new one for the Forum. It came in a Honda Box, has black internals, not red, but it is taller than the one shown here that are real. All mine except this tall one look just like the real filters with the 6 on the bottom.
[img
2bba0dee75087aeaee3fb46c9dd3c0e8.jpg

]
2f50a63dc794a1d5125ba39e0ed5a400.jpg
db50b985865de1ef0a2854b608232d57.jpg

9fde6eb49036949498aea644944fb872.jpg

I sometimes use HiFlo, but notice it looks a lot like a K&N
I tried this one and it works fine.
330e72cec4e4d85cca86a649f700e24c.jpg
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good.
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good. I will get a lot of flak for this one, but I still use my K&N's also. I have used them for years, and never had one leak. I do not use them on the Hondas because I have so many Honda filters, or the other two brands I use. I use the K&N and Hi Flo on my Kawasaki, and use only K&N internal oil filters on my Suzukis. I do watch the K&N carefully now each time I ride because of the reported failures here, but still not a leak, yet. I like the HiFlo filters too, and have them for the Hondas also, just have not got to them yet. Guess I bought too many filters a years or so ago.
I would like the Forum to check out this tall Honda Filter. The box has no English on it. The base fits fine, and it apparently has a greater capacity due to its size.
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good. I will get a lot of flak for this one, but I still use my K&N's also. I have used them for years, and never had one leak. I do not use them on the Hondas because I have so many Honda filters, or the other two brands I use. I use the K&N and Hi Flo on my Kawasaki, and use only K&N internal oil filters on my Suzukis. I do watch the K&N carefully now each time I ride because of the reported failures here, but still not a leak, yet. I like the HiFlo filters too, and have them for the Hondas also, just have not got to them yet. Guess I bought too many filters a years or so ago.
I would like the Forum to check out this tall Honda Filter. The box has no English on it. The base fits fine, and it apparently has a greater capacity due to its size. Michael, does the tall filter have were it was made/made by on the filter itself? The 1000RR references some OEM filters made by Purflux in France, but no pictures. In my searching around, I have not seen one with that obvious difference in height. I guess unless I could find some credible reference to it, particularly if it came from eBay, I would probably be a little skeptical.
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good. I will get a lot of flak for this one, but I still use my K&N's also. I have used them for years, and never had one leak. I do not use them on the Hondas because I have so many Honda filters, or the other two brands I use. I use the K&N and Hi Flo on my Kawasaki, and use only K&N internal oil filters on my Suzukis. I do watch the K&N carefully now each time I ride because of the reported failures here, but still not a leak, yet. I like the HiFlo filters too, and have them for the Hondas also, just have not got to them yet. Guess I bought too many filters a years or so ago.
I would like the Forum to check out this tall Honda Filter. The box has no English on it. The base fits fine, and it apparently has a greater capacity due to its size. Michael, does the tall filter have were it was made/made by on the filter itself? The 1000RR references some OEM filters made by Purflux in France, but no pictures. In my searching around, I have not seen one with that obvious difference in height. I guess unless I could find some credible reference to it, particularly if it came from eBay, I would probably be a little skeptical. On the filter it says, FILTECH INE, Assembled in USA It has instructions on the filter!...And in 3 languages, one French, English, and I think Japanese. With the code BE06 It really does look and feel legit.
 
Thread starter
Michael, According to this CB500V Forum post https://www.cb500x.com/index.php?topic=7119.0 , the tall filter BE06 is an older filter. Included in the post is a link to multinationalparts.com which lists it as appropriate for numerous bikes including the CB1100, but that is what they say, and might be different than what Honda might say. Other than that I only found one other web site listing the filter, and it was just one of those sites that lists eBay ads. I think if I was you and wanted to use it, I would talk to the parts guy at your dealer and see what he can pull up on Honda filter BE06 in the Honda parts system. He should be able to tell you if it is a legit Honda part number and whether or not it is appropriate for your bike.
 
rickcb, is your reason for hunting around for D01 filters that you think there's something intrinsically wrong with the D02, or are you simply expressing a preference for not buying things made or assembled in China?

I'm still trying to figure whether there is any real problem with a D02 filter.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
rickcb, is your reason for hunting around for D01 filters that you think there's something intrinsically wrong with the D02, or are you simply expressing a preference for not buying things made or assembled in China?

I'm still trying to figure whether there is any real problem with a D02 filter.
Maybe it's just that I don't like change? But because they are now made in China I feel like it is more likely there will be quality control issues. My brother is a product manager for a company that makes butterfly valves. Their attempts to save money using Chinese manufacturing were diastrous.
 
I purchased D01 filters and drain plug crush washers last month at a local outdoor power equipment dealer that carries Honda as one if their brands. Several Honda power equipment engines use the same part numbers for these items as their motorcycles. It's a lot closer than my nearest bike dealer and their prices were a little less too!!
 
I used my last D01 in March. I would not hesitate using D02 going forward, and would consider reasonable third party parts if need be. I don't even replace the drain plug crush washer. The most I got out of a crush washer was maybe eight oil changes before the bike changed ownership. Some of my bikes lost the crush washer, so I didn't bother replacing it. Never had an oil leak, nor a stripped oil pan bolt or mating surface. Everything hand tightened. I don't over-think things. There are other life issues that require that energy.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I used my last D01 in March. I would not hesitate using D02 going forward, and would consider reasonable third party parts if need be. I don't even replace the drain plug crush washer. The most I got out of a crush washer was maybe eight oil changes before the bike changed ownership. Some of my bikes lost the crush washer, so I didn't bother replacing it. Never had an oil leak, nor a stripped oil pan bolt or mating surface. Everything hand tightened. I don't over-think things. There are other life issues that require that energy.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.
 
I just used my first D02 the other day. Before this thread. It was my 15th oil change on the CB. To be honest I did not even look at the packing. Might be red for all I know. As far as crush washers, on this change it fell into the drain pan. I had a new one in my tool box so I used it. As far as I can remember, the one that fell into the drain pan was the original. At any rate when I emptied the drain pan, I retrieved the old one, wiped it off, and examined it. It looked fine to me. Ran my thumbnail across both sides, no defamation or ridge/lip that I could feel. So it went back in the top of my tool box.
 
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I used my last D01 in March. I would not hesitate using D02 going forward, and would consider reasonable third party parts if need be. I don't even replace the drain plug crush washer. The most I got out of a crush washer was maybe eight oil changes before the bike changed ownership. Some of my bikes lost the crush washer, so I didn't bother replacing it. Never had an oil leak, nor a stripped oil pan bolt or mating surface. Everything hand tightened. I don't over-think things. There are other life issues that require that energy.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.
File them? Crap, I never considered that. I just kind'a eyeball 'em and hope they go flat when I reverse them and torque 'em down again (assuming I don't lose it before that).

In fact, I think my Africa Twin is already missing a crush washer. :dodgy:
 
While there are counterfeit filters in the world, the initial thread that was referenced, and the source of this conspiracy theory, showed a comparison of a D01 and a D02 filter, alleging the D02 was a fake. Part numbers are shown in the picture.
FALSE ASSUMPTION, FALSE INFORMATION

The stamping on the filter plate (6 or H or whatever) is simply a reference mark for the manufacturer, likely indicating batch code. This helps if there is a defect and the part needs to be

The video from the same thread, made by an independent dealer. highlighted 5 differences on the D01 filters, all inconclusive except #2, the lack of oil pressure relief valve inside.
If oil is too cold (thick), it will open the oil pressure rlief valve, and the oil will not be filtered. You should know that not all oil is fed through the filter anyway, Without the valve, all oil is filtered, which may force the thick oil through the paper and possibly tear the paper. So definitely look for that. Genuine Honda parts have part numbers on them, or on the original packaging.

Anyway, there is no information I've seen in this thread that anyone has bought a counterfeit filter from a dealer or from Revzilla (and it's Honda dealership). I would recommend buying from a Honda dealer.
 
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I used my last D01 in March. I would not hesitate using D02 going forward, and would consider reasonable third party parts if need be. I don't even replace the drain plug crush washer. The most I got out of a crush washer was maybe eight oil changes before the bike changed ownership. Some of my bikes lost the crush washer, so I didn't bother replacing it. Never had an oil leak, nor a stripped oil pan bolt or mating surface. Everything hand tightened. I don't over-think things. There are other life issues that require that energy.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.
I have been doing this for years, and use a drain-plug crush washer about 2 years, then change it. Just clean it, and flip it when you put it back on. Flattens out on its own, and never an issue.
GoldOxide_imp said:
I used my last D01 in March. I would not hesitate using D02 going forward, and would consider reasonable third party parts if need be. I don't even replace the drain plug crush washer. The most I got out of a crush washer was maybe eight oil changes before the bike changed ownership. Some of my bikes lost the crush washer, so I didn't bother replacing it. Never had an oil leak, nor a stripped oil pan bolt or mating surface. Everything hand tightened. I don't over-think things. There are other life issues that require that energy.
Glad I buy them 10 at a time. With 3 bikes using the same one, it is not that many, but they are all good. I guess I had them long enough to come up with the D02.
 
Right or wrong, I've used the crush washer over and over for years on my bikes and have never had a leak.
Maybe next time I change the oil I'll replace them :D :D :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
Right or wrong, I've used the crush washer over and over for years on my bikes and have never had a leak.
Maybe next time I change the oil I'll replace them :D :D :D
Yeah, not sure if there is a right or wrong. Never really thought about it that way.

I do know the parts counter pushes the washers every time and twist it with, " ... aw, it only another 75 cents each ... " or whatever price they quote.

" ... do you want fries with that [fake D02] filter? ... "
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
Right or wrong, I've used the crush washer over and over for years on my bikes and have never had a leak.
Maybe next time I change the oil I'll replace them :D :D :D
Yeah, not sure if there is a right or wrong. Never really thought about it that way.

I do know the parts counter pushes the washers every time and twist it with, " ... aw, it only another 75 cents each ... " or whatever price they quote.

" ... do you want fries with that [fake D02] filter? ... "
Yeah, not sure if there is a right or wrong. Never really thought about it that way.

I do know the parts counter pushes the washers every time and twist it with, " ... aw, it only another 75 cents each ... " or whatever price they quote.

" ... do you want fries with that [fake D02] filter? ... "
Heck, ready for this one. When I changed the oil for the first time on the Suzuki GS750E, it had a 'fiber' washer under the oil-drain-plug! Never have seen one before. I replaced it with one of my tried and true 'real' Honda Crush washers, a metal one that is!
 
michael1954_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
Right or wrong, I've used the crush washer over and over for years on my bikes and have never had a leak.
Maybe next time I change the oil I'll replace them :D :D :D
Yeah, not sure if there is a right or wrong. Never really thought about it that way.

I do know the parts counter pushes the washers every time and twist it with, " ... aw, it only another 75 cents each ... " or whatever price they quote.

" ... do you want fries with that [fake D02] filter? ... "
Yeah, not sure if there is a right or wrong. Never really thought about it that way.

I do know the parts counter pushes the washers every time and twist it with, " ... aw, it only another 75 cents each ... " or whatever price they quote.

" ... do you want fries with that [fake D02] filter? ... "
Heck, ready for this one. When I changed the oil for the first time on the Suzuki GS750E, it had a 'fiber' washer under the oil-drain-plug! Never have seen one before. I replaced it with one of my tried and true 'real' Honda Crush washers, a metal one that is!
Interesting.

Would you happen to recall if the "fiber" washer was stiff/firm like an aluminum washer?

If so, I am wonder if the fiber washer has some advantage of soaking up ultra low weepy-like leaks? (or just cheaper than metal washers)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I used my last D01 in March. I would not hesitate using D02 going forward, and would consider reasonable third party parts if need be. I don't even replace the drain plug crush washer. The most I got out of a crush washer was maybe eight oil changes before the bike changed ownership. Some of my bikes lost the crush washer, so I didn't bother replacing it. Never had an oil leak, nor a stripped oil pan bolt or mating surface. Everything hand tightened. I don't over-think things. There are other life issues that require that energy.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.
File them? Crap, I never considered that. I just kind'a eyeball 'em and hope they go flat when I reverse them and torque 'em down again (assuming I don't lose it before that).

In fact, I think my Africa Twin is already missing a crush washer. :dodgy:

GASP!! You, sir, are doomed!:D

I re-use, but I do file them flat prior.
File them? Crap, I never considered that. I just kind'a eyeball 'em and hope they go flat when I reverse them and torque 'em down again (assuming I don't lose it before that).

In fact, I think my Africa Twin is already missing a crush washer. :dodgy:
I knew I could not be the only guy flipping and reusing the washers!
 
If you are really cheap you can flatten used ones on sand paper to get the ridge of the washer . I buy 20 at the time for 50 cents each from local dealer.
 
Houtman_imp said:
If you are really cheap you can flatten used ones on sand paper to get the ridge of the washer . I buy 20 at the time for 50 cents each from local dealer.
Yeah, "cheap" never came to mind. I would probably think "lazy", or more precisely, " ... gee, these washers look cheaply made." :-/
 
Back
Top