Counterfeit Oil Filters

The ferret_imp said:
Cant believe you have to eat anything? What's with Revzilla these days? They should have sent a pick up for return
I can't prove they are fake (it's just Internet hearsay). The only thing I can argue about is that they are D02 and I ordered D01. I didn't want to argue with them so I just did the return online.
 
2017EX_imp said:
My reason for starting this thread was/is to pass on the same information I was reading, to everyone else so each could make his/her own decision as to what to buy and use, or not. The 1000RR Forum where this information was posted seems to be very similar to ours with a bunch of regular folks like us, concerned about taking care of our machines.

Can we automatically assume that because a filter was made in China it is a knock off? I dont know the answer to that one, and am making the decisions about what to use on my bike based on the same info everyone else has from this post. There is no doubt in my mind that both the D01 and D02 filters have been knocked off, just like so many other things these days. My preference is to avoid Chinese product whenever I can, and if filters for our CBs are being LEGITIMATELY outsourced to Chinese plants I would have to say I am disappointed in Hondas decision to do so. Why? Because lets face it, China GENERALLY does not have the best reputation when it comes to manufacturing quality in many but not all instances.

As a result, and because I cannot automatically assume that a Chinese filter is a knock off, I have searched for the original ( to our CBs ) D01 filters made by Roki, and assembled in the U.S.A.. I found a Honda dealer that still has them in stock, and tomorrow I will be going to buy enough of them to cover the next several years worth of oil and filter changes. If anyone else chooses to do the same, while calling around, be certain to say you do not want D02. If you don't say that, they will say they have it when they don't because of the part number being superseded.

At the very least, I think everyone will look more closely at what they are getting, and make their own choices accordingly. I am just like everyone else on this subject in that before I saw all the info in the link from the 1000RR Forum,
Genuine vs Counterfeit Honda Oil Filters
it would not have occurred to me to look closely at a Honda marked filter either.

:biker:
Emphatically not. In recent times countless manufacturers have made the decision to outsource at least some manufacture to Chinese plants for one simple reason: labour was cheap. Think Apple, Nike, Reebok, Adidas for example. If the product is made to the manufacturer's specifications the quality will be what the manufacturer will accept. Clearly that will run the gamut from awful to excellent. One would expect that, if Honda has made the decision to outsource oil filter production to China, the quality of the product will remain high.

You can safely bet a dollar or two that manufacturers are looking for places other than China that offer cheap labour so they can maintain a low cost of production while reducing any risks arising from current geopolitical tensions.
 
Just went to Honda dealership in Beaverton, OR and asked for an oil filter for the CB1100. Was given a filter with red interior. Other "counterfeit" sign was that it would not be marked with number "6" on interior ring, but with an "M" marking. Mine has neither "6" nor "M"--it's marked with "H". It does not have the "pressure release valve" inside. It's barcode is smaller, less bold and filter itself says "Made in China". So 80% fake, and 20% undetermined?

Parts guy was reading from his computer and said "part 15410-MF-D02 has replaced D01". Again, this was right at the dealership. Last time, I paid $14 about a year ago from a different dealership in WA, and this was $18...so not only possibly fake, but more money!

So is this really a counterfeit or fake filter, or just a replacement?

I told the parts guy my concern, and he said that they did have a K&N filter that would fit.
 
find a amsoil #EAOM103 they are as good as the honda filter probably better i been researching filters since this thread came up im gona run them from now on, ive always like amsoil anyways and run dominator in my 2 strokes
 
Cormanus_imp said:

Here ya go...from today's Honda dealership visit:



Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I'm beginning to think that we simply don't have enough information to draw that conclusion. If you look at the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Rn5MFaqDk&feature=emb_imp_woyt]video in the link from 2017ex's original post, it referred to fake D01 filters. I don't think we've yet seen a picture of a D02 that came from a Honda dealer (I may be wrong). Who knows, it may have red packing and be perfectly good.

pekingduck has posted wisely on this question, [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16787&pid=294063#pid294063]here and [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16787&pid=294198#pid294198]here.

The answer to your question, PD,
pekingduck_imp said:
Toyo Roki is an OEM Honda supplier, with plants in China, US, and other countries

Wako Filter is an OEM Honda supplier, with a plant in China.

So how do we automatically conclude that any Wako filter made in China is not OEM?

FWIW, here's a pic of my D01 Roki filter, made in US (formerly Filtech).
is that we can't without having more information.
That's what I'm counting on.
 
If I dont get to it Saturday, I will try and get down Tuesday, and inspect every filter in my dealers stock and querie where they came from.
 
Soooo, how do conspiracy theories get started?
Unverified information on the web?
Lack of solid information?
Conclusions jumped at?
Check, check, check.
 
It is probably fine. Cheaper cost to manufacturer (not saying this is completely right). Dealers may charge same or similar price. Better markup, more profits for dealership. Dealership stays in business, and Bob's yer uncle.
 
It's worth looking into in more depth. It's not axiomatic that counterfeits are inferior, either. A Chinese company once copied one of my company's products. I examined a sample, and noticed it that it was an exact copy in some respects, e.g. they even copied minor defects in a mold, but it had some differences that made it - frankly spoken - better than our product. It dawned on me that these differences were features of our chief competitor's product. So they had taken the best qualities of each and made an über product. Yet it had our company's name and part number (we are the leader in this segment). In their brochure, featuring many other counterfeits, there was a boast in Mandarin: "We only copy from the world's leading companies." Apparently, in China it's not a mark of shame but of business acumen and shrewdness to copy a competitor's product.

The real killer though: it was selling for literally 15% the price of our product.
 
Checked all mine and they are all real. But I have a new one for the Forum. It came in a Honda Box, has black internals, not red, but it is taller than the one shown here that are real. All mine except this tall one look just like the real filters with the 6 on the bottom.
[img
2bba0dee75087aeaee3fb46c9dd3c0e8.jpg

]
2f50a63dc794a1d5125ba39e0ed5a400.jpg
db50b985865de1ef0a2854b608232d57.jpg

9fde6eb49036949498aea644944fb872.jpg

I sometimes use HiFlo, but notice it looks a lot like a K&N
I tried this one and it works fine.
330e72cec4e4d85cca86a649f700e24c.jpg
 
michael1954_imp said:
Checked all mine and they are all real. But I have a new one for the Forum. It came in a Honda Box, has black internals, not red, but it is taller than the one shown here that are real. All mine except this tall one look just like the real filters with the 6 on the bottom.
[img
2bba0dee75087aeaee3fb46c9dd3c0e8.jpg

]
2f50a63dc794a1d5125ba39e0ed5a400.jpg
db50b985865de1ef0a2854b608232d57.jpg

9fde6eb49036949498aea644944fb872.jpg

I sometimes use HiFlo, but notice it looks a lot like a K&N
I tried this one and it works fine.
330e72cec4e4d85cca86a649f700e24c.jpg
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good.
 
Indypikes_imp said:
michael1954_imp said:
Checked all mine and they are all real. But I have a new one for the Forum. It came in a Honda Box, has black internals, not red, but it is taller than the one shown here that are real. All mine except this tall one look just like the real filters with the 6 on the bottom.
[img
2bba0dee75087aeaee3fb46c9dd3c0e8.jpg

]
2f50a63dc794a1d5125ba39e0ed5a400.jpg
db50b985865de1ef0a2854b608232d57.jpg

9fde6eb49036949498aea644944fb872.jpg

I sometimes use HiFlo, but notice it looks a lot like a K&N
I tried this one and it works fine.
330e72cec4e4d85cca86a649f700e24c.jpg
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good.
At one time Hi-Flo was making filters for K&N. I don't know if this is still the case or not. I'd be curious to know with the recent reports of K&Ns failing here. I've been using Hi-Flo filters on all my bikes for years (with or w/o nut) and never had a problem. I've read on two different oil/filters sights that quality is considered very good. I will get a lot of flak for this one, but I still use my K&N's also. I have used them for years, and never had one leak. I do not use them on the Hondas because I have so many Honda filters, or the other two brands I use. I use the K&N and Hi Flo on my Kawasaki, and use only K&N internal oil filters on my Suzukis. I do watch the K&N carefully now each time I ride because of the reported failures here, but still not a leak, yet. I like the HiFlo filters too, and have them for the Hondas also, just have not got to them yet. Guess I bought too many filters a years or so ago.
I would like the Forum to check out this tall Honda Filter. The box has no English on it. The base fits fine, and it apparently has a greater capacity due to its size.
 
Does the box have a part number, Michael?
 
pdedse_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:

Here ya go...from today's Honda dealership visit:



Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I'm beginning to think that we simply don't have enough information to draw that conclusion. If you look at the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Rn5MFaqDk&feature=emb_imp_woyt]video in the link from 2017ex's original post, it referred to fake D01 filters. I don't think we've yet seen a picture of a D02 that came from a Honda dealer (I may be wrong). Who knows, it may have red packing and be perfectly good.

pekingduck has posted wisely on this question, [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16787&pid=294063#pid294063]here and [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16787&pid=294198#pid294198]here.

The answer to your question, PD,
pekingduck_imp said:
Toyo Roki is an OEM Honda supplier, with plants in China, US, and other countries

Wako Filter is an OEM Honda supplier, with a plant in China.

So how do we automatically conclude that any Wako filter made in China is not OEM?

FWIW, here's a pic of my D01 Roki filter, made in US (formerly Filtech).
is that we can't without having more information.
That's what I'm counting on.

Here ya go...from today's Honda dealership visit:



Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I'm beginning to think that we simply don't have enough information to draw that conclusion. If you look at the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Rn5MFaqDk&feature=emb_imp_woyt]video in the link from 2017ex's original post, it referred to fake D01 filters. I don't think we've yet seen a picture of a D02 that came from a Honda dealer (I may be wrong). Who knows, it may have red packing and be perfectly good.

pekingduck has posted wisely on this question, [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16787&pid=294063#pid294063]here and [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16787&pid=294198#pid294198]here.

The answer to your question, PD,
pekingduck_imp said:
Toyo Roki is an OEM Honda supplier, with plants in China, US, and other countries

Wako Filter is an OEM Honda supplier, with a plant in China.

So how do we automatically conclude that any Wako filter made in China is not OEM?

FWIW, here's a pic of my D01 Roki filter, made in US (formerly Filtech).
is that we can't without having more information.
That's what I'm counting on.
The picture pdedse posted is exactly like the ones I got from Revzilla. I'm going to hold off on returning them for a bit.
 
I’d hang on a bit, Rick and see what other research reveals.

Michael, who’d know whether that was OEM?
 
Thread starter
Since the initial posting of the 1000RR Forum link on this subject, it has been a learning curve that I would not have thought about previously. We know that the D01, and likely the D02 have been knocked off. The D01 knock off is easy to spot, but not so the D02 because genuine Honda D02 filters are now being made in China. The D01 is ROKI parts assembled in the U.S., but the D02 WAKO ( labeled WAFTEC, a subsidiary of WAKO?) is made in China. As others have pointed out, a D02 made in China is not necessarily a knock off as a result. I guess the only way then to be relatively certain that a D02 is not a knock off, is to get it from a Honda dealer that gets its parts directly from Honda.

Yesterday I went to my local dealer and talked with the parts manager who said he only gets his parts direct from Honda. All of his D01s were gone and all he had in stock was D02. I bought one out of curiosity, price $13.99 plus tax. Back at home, I called around to other dealers in my area, listed on " find a dealer " at https://powersports.honda.com/?cid=...912c098d11d63546f1a861184487&gclsrc=3p.ds
I found an off the beaten path small Honda dealership that still had D01s in stock. Today I went there and bought 5 D01s. They still have 8 more in stock and will ship for those not in the Dallas Fort Worth area, talk to Erica. All Inventory | Arlington Motorsports Texas
If your local dealer does not have D01, the parts guy can do a locator for them for all other Honda dealers in the area. Once the remaining D01s on dealer shelves are gone, the only game in town other than aftermarket, will be the Chinese made D02, unless there is another manufacturer change.

Taking a page from peterbaron's book, I am now set for a long time to come with plenty of D01 filters. The genuine Honda Chinese made D02s might be just fine, but I prefer to avoid Chinese made products whenever it is possible to do so.
 
The filters I bought are D01. The dealer only had four so I bought all four.
I have two Hondas so they will only last a couple of years.
 
Back
Top