Counterfeit Oil Filters

This is a really good thread and thanks to 2017EX for starting it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I recently ordered four oil filters from a reputable Canadian online supplier and I was pleased to see that all are the real thing after reviewing the pictures in the link he provided.
 
so the red in the filter is a dead give away that it's a fake filter?
 
The ferret_imp said:
so the red in the filter is a dead give away that it's a fake filter?
If so, then the "fake" manufacturers did a really lousy job of replicating a known good design.

lol - probably the easiest thing they could have done was to get the colour matched.
 
Toyo Roki is an OEM Honda supplier, with plants in China, US, and other countries

Wako Filter is an OEM Honda supplier, with a plant in China.

So how do we automatically conclude that any Wako filter made in China is not OEM?

FWIW, here's a pic of my D01 Roki filter, made in US (formerly Filtech).
 
You know things are getting bad when this happens...

I've had a pair of $30 Ebay lights on my Bonneville for years, and they've worked great. They are Chinese knock-offs of round Denali lights.

I'm fitting out a new trailer for work, and want to put some rear spots on it for backing up at night, so I went on Ebay and ordered what I thought were the same lights I have on my Bonneville. They are poorly made and are lesser quality than my reliable $30 lights.

Which means that I got a bad Chinese knock-off.... of a Chinese knock-off.
 
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!
I suspect some logistical contamination of Revzilla from the Cycle Gear merger. I recently ordered some parts from Revzilla and they arrived very poorly packed in a box that looked like a relic from the 1916 Battle of the Somme.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
 
Hard to think that Revzilla would be selling counterfeits. They're reputable, and are tied in with Cycle Gear.
 
rickcb_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
 
Thread starter
My reason for starting this thread was/is to pass on the same information I was reading, to everyone else so each could make his/her own decision as to what to buy and use, or not. The 1000RR Forum where this information was posted seems to be very similar to ours with a bunch of regular folks like us, concerned about taking care of our machines.

Can we automatically assume that because a filter was made in China it is a knock off? I dont know the answer to that one, and am making the decisions about what to use on my bike based on the same info everyone else has from this post. There is no doubt in my mind that both the D01 and D02 filters have been knocked off, just like so many other things these days. My preference is to avoid Chinese product whenever I can, and if filters for our CBs are being LEGITIMATELY outsourced to Chinese plants I would have to say I am disappointed in Hondas decision to do so. Why? Because lets face it, China GENERALLY does not have the best reputation when it comes to manufacturing quality in many but not all instances.

As a result, and because I cannot automatically assume that a Chinese filter is a knock off, I have searched for the original ( to our CBs ) D01 filters made by Roki, and assembled in the U.S.A.. I found a Honda dealer that still has them in stock, and tomorrow I will be going to buy enough of them to cover the next several years worth of oil and filter changes. If anyone else chooses to do the same, while calling around, be certain to say you do not want D02. If you don't say that, they will say they have it when they don't because of the part number being superseded.

At the very least, I think everyone will look more closely at what they are getting, and make their own choices accordingly. I am just like everyone else on this subject in that before I saw all the info in the link from the 1000RR Forum,
Genuine vs Counterfeit Honda Oil Filters
it would not have occurred to me to look closely at a Honda marked filter either.

:biker:
 
The ferret_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
 
rickcb_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
Excellent.
 
Patiently sitting for their turn to be installed:

5c9496514d798d8e9e1c6b52be88a653.jpg


45c5fe73f3ecfdb3db1cc2025e7eb26b.jpg

:D
 
rickcb_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
As long as there isn’t the geriatrics award! Suggest awards for previous forum Rally hosts, especially the hosts from Pennsylvania, West Virginia, & Virginia. Maybe an award for the outstanding forum monitor. :rofl:
 
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
suhawk305_imp said:
rickcb_imp said:
I just ordered two of these filters from Revzilla. And they are the fake ones. Grrr.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.
I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
That’s disappointing the Revzilla would stoop that low and sell inferior knock-off products!. I spent a lot of money for gear from Revzilla. I may erase them, and their affiliates, from my computer “bookmarks”. I have two OEM oil filters purchased from Revzilla last year. I checked them and they exactly compare to the D01 Roki filter. :)

Rick, I assume you are returning the filters? I’m interested to hear their response to your justification for the return.

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
As long as there isn’t the geriatrics award! Suggest awards for previous forum Rally hosts, especially the hosts from Pennsylvania, West Virginia, & Virginia. Maybe an award for the outstanding forum monitor. :rofl:

I'm sure yet what I'll do. Maybe just use them on Jennifer's bike? :thumbsup:
No way would I use them on Jennifers bike. Contact Revzilla customer service and tell them they are counterfeits and you want the oe filters.
Maybe I'll bring them to the rally and use them as prizes for the final goodbye dinner. Yeah, that sounds good! :thumbsup:
As long as there isn’t the geriatrics award! Suggest awards for previous forum Rally hosts, especially the hosts from Pennsylvania, West Virginia, & Virginia. Maybe an award for the outstanding forum monitor. :rofl:
OK, I just initiated a return with Revzilla. I will eat $7.99. I can live with that.
 
Cant believe you have to eat anything? What's with Revzilla these days? They should have sent a pick up for return
 
Back
Top