Counterfeit Oil Filters

2017EX_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I mentioned this subject in another thread, but I thought I would start its own thread with what I found out since then. Our CBs originally came with a 15410-MFJ-D01 oil filter made by Riko. The new one I still have was assembled in the U.S.A., but I do not know if that was true for all D01 filters. Recently the D01 filter was replaced by 15410-MFJ-D02, made by Wako. As far as I can tell at this point, the only difference between D01 and D02 is the manufacturer, not the design or materials used.

Unfortunately, like so many other things these days I found that there are Chinese counterfeits of both the D01 and D02 filters. Here is how to spot the fakes:
Genuine vs Counterfeit Honda Oil Filters
Included in the link are pictures, comments, and a YouTube video showing all the things to look for. There is also an interesting video showing the difference in filtering quality between genuine and fake Toyota filters. Apparently the fakes typically use less dense filter material than the genuine article. These fakes can be found on eBay, Amazon, and numerous other listings on the internet.

After studying all the info on fakes, I ordered a two pack of the original D01 filters from an eBay seller that was supposed to be a Honda dealer ( found the corresponding dealer web site outside of eBay ). The pictures of the filter in the eBay ad were the genuine article. When the filters arrived, guess what..two fake D02 filters had been substituted, and had all the tell tale signs shown in the above link, including Made In China. Because I knew the D02 is made by Wako, and all the other signs, when I confronted the seller, I got an immediate refund, and a prepaid return label.

This morning I called my local dealer to see if he had D01 filters in stock. Nope, he has the D02 which as we now know, replaced the D01. The last time I bought a D01 at the dealer it was $19.95 for one, which is a little on the steep side, and has been mentioned in other threads. I asked how much for one D02, and was quoted $13.95, which I think is more reasonable. I did mention my eBay issue, and the parts guy told me that they only get their parts direct from Honda. I will update if necessary if I see any difference between the D01 and D02 once I have both to compare side by side.

:biker:
 
yea really..why don't they just make good filters and sell them?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
(wow) Seems like a lot of effort and energy went into making the "fake" oil filter.
Copy the original so you can charge the same, use cheap materials and cheap labor to make at least twice as much money. Worth it to them.
 
Wow, glad I use K&N. I don't have to worry about spotting fakes!
 
The last 3 number set of the part number, in this case D01 and D02, can be a change of supplier or a minor design change. Honda, like other manufacturers, has alternate suppliers for many items.

If the oil filter manufacturer is running full tilt supplying an order for Subaru, others may have to wait. Right now, there are parts supply line shortages around the world. Honda may have been completely out, which prompts a dealer to look for alternate sources too.

Like it or not, Honda has lots of things made in China (to their spec), and these products can be as good or better than Japanese, US, or German quality. If it's from a Honda dealer, (and all online OEM Honda parts sellers are brick-and-mortar dealers also) selling a fake Honda part is a serious violation of their dealer agreement.

Toyo Rok and Wako Filter are both OEM suppliers based in Japan, and may have plants overseas (Wako does have a plant in China). So that made-in-China filter may be OEM quality.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, glad I use K&N. I don't have to worry about spotting fakes!
K&N has facilities in China, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility that K&N has been knocked off, just like countless other products these days. Lets face it, how often does anyone scrutinize something as mundane as an oil filter? I think the knock off artists count on that, just like the eBay seller that substituted a counterfeit on me. In my case, I knew what to look for, and didn't let it slide.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, glad I use K&N. I don't have to worry about spotting fakes!
:rofl:
 
Well this should be fun. Is there counterfeit oil too?
 
2017EX_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, glad I use K&N. I don't have to worry about spotting fakes!
K&N has facilities in China, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility that K&N has been knocked off, just like countless other products these days. Lets face it, how often does anyone scrutinize something as mundane as an oil filter? I think the knock off artists count on that, just like the eBay seller that substituted a counterfeit on me. In my case, I knew what to look for, and didn't let it slide.
So was it an established supplier like Revzilla, Rocky MT etc or an offbeat one?

and it came with a fake Honda packaging with Honda part number?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well this should be fun. Is there counterfeit oil too?
Only that Hubris stuff.
 
The ferret_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, glad I use K&N. I don't have to worry about spotting fakes!
K&N has facilities in China, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility that K&N has been knocked off, just like countless other products these days. Lets face it, how often does anyone scrutinize something as mundane as an oil filter? I think the knock off artists count on that, just like the eBay seller that substituted a counterfeit on me. In my case, I knew what to look for, and didn't let it slide.
So was it an established supplier like Revzilla, Rocky MT etc or an offbeat one?

and it came with a fake Honda packaging with Honda part number?
So was it an established supplier like Revzilla, Rocky MT etc or an offbeat one?

and it came with a fake Honda packaging with Honda part number?
In that one photo, it looks like a Revzilla packing slip with the fake one. :-O

There's a difference between aftermarket replacement and a counterfeit. The counterfeit steals a brand name and attempts to get a premium for the brand with an inferior product. Aftermarket replacement stands on its own brand and merits.
 
Stichill_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, glad I use K&N. I don't have to worry about spotting fakes!
K&N has facilities in China, so it would not be out of the realm of possibility that K&N has been knocked off, just like countless other products these days. Lets face it, how often does anyone scrutinize something as mundane as an oil filter? I think the knock off artists count on that, just like the eBay seller that substituted a counterfeit on me. In my case, I knew what to look for, and didn't let it slide.
So was it an established supplier like Revzilla, Rocky MT etc or an offbeat one?

and it came with a fake Honda packaging with Honda part number?
So was it an established supplier like Revzilla, Rocky MT etc or an offbeat one?

and it came with a fake Honda packaging with Honda part number?
In that one photo, it looks like a Revzilla packing slip with the fake one. :-O

There's a difference between aftermarket replacement and a counterfeit. The counterfeit steals a brand name and attempts to get a premium for the brand with an inferior product. Aftermarket replacement stands on its own brand and merits.
So was it an established supplier like Revzilla, Rocky MT etc or an offbeat one?

and it came with a fake Honda packaging with Honda part number?
In that one photo, it looks like a Revzilla packing slip with the fake one. :-O
good eye Stichill. That's scary, Revzilla probably sells a ton of those.
 
I just want to thank you for this notice. I buy these 10 at a time. Now I have got to go check all of them. Another great reason to be part of this Forum!
 
Interesting topic but a bit worrying too. I have read on numerous forums about fake NGK plugs being in circulation that appear genuine but aren’t. I have just been into the garage, I have two new and boxed genuine Honda oil filters on the shelf ready to do oil changes this summer. I bought them directly from a big Honda dealership in England (no eBay). They have all the Honda branding on them, look and feel quality as best I can tell, it says made in France though. What does that mean? Is there a big manufacturer in France knocking out genuine Honda spec oil filters? No idea. From experience I am very wary of any pattern parts because they often don’t fit and are of dubious quality. Buy cheap buy twice.
 
Would like to thank the members ( and forum moderators ) at this point for volunteering their wide range of skills in funneling good and relevant subject material in a professional way for the benefit of all who read the forum on the net.
:thanks:
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
Interesting topic but a bit worrying too. I have read on numerous forums about fake NGK plugs being in circulation that appear genuine but aren’t. I have just been into the garage, I have two new and boxed genuine Honda oil filters on the shelf ready to do oil changes this summer. I bought them directly from a big Honda dealership in England (no eBay). They have all the Honda branding on them, look and feel quality as best I can tell, it says made in France though. What does that mean? Is there a big manufacturer in France knocking out genuine Honda spec oil filters? No idea. From experience I am very wary of any pattern parts because they often don’t fit and are of dubious quality. Buy cheap buy twice.
I do not know about Honda bike specific filters, but Honda are just about the only OE who make their own filters. Everyone else has them made for them.

Cheers,

Guy
 
Back
Top