Corrosion on pipes

PowderToastMan_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Anyone else noticing some corrosion on the header pipes?

I don't know if it's corrosion or if it's the finish wearing away or just changing color, but I had some spotty discoloration in a few places, just noticed this morning after not having a chance to ride for a few days that it's a bit bigger than it was.

I should snap a picture...

I assume that it's not a real problem, but it's kind of a shame to have these nice smooth pipes already looking like this.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Anyone else noticing some corrosion on the header pipes?

I don't know if it's corrosion or if it's the finish wearing away or just changing color, but I had some spotty discoloration in a few places, just noticed this morning after not having a chance to ride for a few days that it's a bit bigger than it was.

I should snap a picture...

I assume that it's not a real problem, but it's kind of a shame to have these nice smooth pipes already looking like this.
If the pipes are stainless steel the exhaust heat will cause them to discolor (goldish at the hottest area then turning blueish as the pipe cools). I've never tried it but some have used Simichrome polish to diminish the discoloration. After polishing the pipes will still have a goldish tint but it will be more uniform.
 
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Anyone else noticing some corrosion on the header pipes?

I don't know if it's corrosion or if it's the finish wearing away or just changing color, but I had some spotty discoloration in a few places, just noticed this morning after not having a chance to ride for a few days that it's a bit bigger than it was.

I should snap a picture...

I assume that it's not a real problem, but it's kind of a shame to have these nice smooth pipes already looking like this.
Echoing what oldyaler said, get you on down to your friendly neighborhood Honda dealer and buy a tube of their Honda brand chrome and aluminum polish. A super fine steel wool pad, I think the size is .0000, is a good application tool for the polish. Make sure to only apply the polish when the pipes are cool to the touch, and don't let the polish dry on there for too long. Wipe it off with a good microfiber cloth and you'll have your pipes looking pretty again in no time.

I picked up a few stains on mine on my 170 mile ride home (bugs and a few water splashes on the hot pipes), but they polished right out using the technique above.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
PowderToastMan_imp said:
Anyone else noticing some corrosion on the header pipes?

I don't know if it's corrosion or if it's the finish wearing away or just changing color, but I had some spotty discoloration in a few places, just noticed this morning after not having a chance to ride for a few days that it's a bit bigger than it was.

I should snap a picture...

I assume that it's not a real problem, but it's kind of a shame to have these nice smooth pipes already looking like this.
Echoing what oldyaler said, get you on down to your friendly neighborhood Honda dealer and buy a tube of their Honda brand chrome and aluminum polish. A super fine steel wool pad, I think the size is .0000, is a good application tool for the polish. Make sure to only apply the polish when the pipes are cool to the touch, and don't let the polish dry on there for too long. Wipe it off with a good microfiber cloth and you'll have your pipes looking pretty again in no time.

I picked up a few stains on mine on my 170 mile ride home (bugs and a few water splashes on the hot pipes), but they polished right out using the technique above.
Echoing what oldyaler said, get you on down to your friendly neighborhood Honda dealer and buy a tube of their Honda brand chrome and aluminum polish. A super fine steel wool pad, I think the size is .0000, is a good application tool for the polish. Make sure to only apply the polish when the pipes are cool to the touch, and don't let the polish dry on there for too long. Wipe it off with a good microfiber cloth and you'll have your pipes looking pretty again in no time.

I picked up a few stains on mine on my 170 mile ride home (bugs and a few water splashes on the hot pipes), but they polished right out using the technique above.
Great advice. Exactly what I would have suggested. Yes, the header pipes will start to discolor and even show some speckled dark spots. These will polish out.
 
When I took delivery of my bike, the shop foreman gave me a copy of "the wrench" which is a newsletter for Honda technicians. This edition deals specifically with the new CB1100 and CBR500 models.

On the back page is a "Service Tip" about the CB1100's exhaust:

"Remove the Anti-Rust Coating From the Exhaust System at Set-Up

It is extremely important to remove the anti-rust coating from the entire exhaust system before starting the engine, otherwise the coating will burn and stain the high-luster finish. Use a solution of mild detergent and water and a soft cloth to remove the coating."

Hopefully what you're seeing isn't a result of the techs failing to perform this procedure on your bike.
 
I think the "anti-rust coating" was a plastic film they stuck on to some metal parts. The dealer setup crew forgot to remove it from my swingarm. I noticed it and peeled it off when I got home.

I don't think that's the cause of the OP's pipe discoloration, otherwise there would have been mention of stinking melted plastic as well.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I think the "anti-rust coating" was a plastic film they stuck on to some metal parts. The dealer setup crew forgot to remove it from my swingarm. I noticed it and peeled it off when I got home.

I don't think that's the cause of the OP's pipe discoloration, otherwise there would have been mention of stinking melted plastic as well.

My dealer missed the piece of plastic on the swingarm too, but the anti rust coating is a spray that my dealer washed off.
 
I missed the little plastic covers on the twin horns out front. Looked weird, so I picked em off. Almost looked like they belonged. They look better now.
 
It has become obvious to me that the "cleaning off" of whatever rust or corrosion inhibitor on the pipes of my bike was not done properly. It was likely attempted, as I can see rag marks, and some of the pipes are less discolored than others. However, the rest look like I have 5 years of surface corrosion and spotting. Personally, don't care. I may attempt to clean it, buti t may help perpetuate the "Restored vintage bike" myth.
 
I used Simichrome blue away, #0000 Steel wool and a polishing rag and it worked GREAT to get the spotting and blue off! Maybe even TOO great haha. If you like the bronze color on the pipes then I don't recommend trying to get the spotting and bluing off (I think it doesn't look bad and almost liked them, I know some on UK forum like having the bluing because it shows they ride the bike hard) . I had quite a bit of spotting on mine and don't mind losing the bronze color. I'm taking a break and haven't decided if I want to do the bottom portion of the pipes or leave that part bronze.

Here are some before and after pics.



[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo2_zpsb058c19b.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo3_zps5382f5af.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo4_zps1c0801c9.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo5_zps30754d6d.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo6_zpsd37c5638.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo7_zps91f86806.jpg.html]

You can really tell the loss of bronze in these next two. The pipe on the far left wasn't that bad and I saved for last.

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo8_zps5232234c.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/red_VIII/media/photo9_zps895a042b.jpg.html]
 
Riding since 1974, and after about 10 different bikes over the years, I have never done anything to get rid of the staining on the pipes. So my question is...once cleaned and polished, how long will they stay shiny? Is it something you need to repeat every week? Month? Never? :huh:
 
As I was doing it I wondered too, am I going to do this again??? I don't know, it wasn't that hard and didn't take long. I'll post how they get after a few 100 or so miles.
I know the blueing and spotting doesn't happen to everyone though.
 
redReno--

I'm still awaiting my bike's return from Bazzaz, and it looks like I won't get it until next Friday at the earliest (they're waiting on one more of two connectors to arrive). One of my biggest hopes in getting the bike back with a fuel controller installed is for the mixture to become richer at the bottom and midrange, thereby decreasing the burn temperatures (read: stop the bronzing/blueing of the pipes).

I remember my old '82 GS750's headers were always chromed, and never did bronze/blue. I'll keep everyone apprised when I finally get the bike back.
 
thumper_imp said:
redReno--

I'm still awaiting my bike's return from Bazzaz, and it looks like I won't get it until next Friday at the earliest (they're waiting on one more of two connectors to arrive). One of my biggest hopes in getting the bike back with a fuel controller installed is for the mixture to become richer at the bottom and midrange, thereby decreasing the burn temperatures (read: stop the bronzing/blueing of the pipes).

I remember my old '82 GS750's headers were always chromed, and never did bronze/blue. I'll keep everyone apprised when I finally get the bike back.
I don't know if they did it in the 80s but in the 70s they used double walled header pipes so the heat wouldn't affect the chrome.
 
Back
Top