the Ferret
Road warrior
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.


This sounds familiar. After a 25 year hiatus from riding, I attended a vintage motorcycle rally. The buzz came back. I decided to buy a Triumph Bonneville until I saw the $13,000 base price. Bonnies were $1300 out-the-door when my buddies rode them in the late 60s.CB4ME_imp said:.. seems that guys who gave up riding to get married, raise a family, and have a career decided to get back onto a bike assuming that they didn’t lose any skills – except that they did. Motorcycles are also more powerful than they used to be, which can be a surprise for riders who haven’t been on one in awhile.
The main reason I downsized to a 471cc bike. Less opportunity to get in trouble.![]()
Did you join the CB500 club, too?!CB4ME_imp said:.. seems that guys who gave up riding to get married, raise a family, and have a career decided to get back onto a bike assuming that they didn’t lose any skills – except that they did. Motorcycles are also more powerful than they used to be, which can be a surprise for riders who haven’t been on one in awhile.
The main reason I downsized to a 471cc bike. Less opportunity to get in trouble.![]()
Did you join the CB500 club, too?!Papa Weeley_imp said:Did you join the CB500 club, too?!CB4ME_imp said:.. seems that guys who gave up riding to get married, raise a family, and have a career decided to get back onto a bike assuming that they didn’t lose any skills – except that they did. Motorcycles are also more powerful than they used to be, which can be a surprise for riders who haven’t been on one in awhile.
The main reason I downsized to a 471cc bike. Less opportunity to get in trouble.![]()
Yep, I've used that old trick several times.The ferret_imp said:That's an old mechanics trick we used 30 years ago, only we used flat blade screw drivers. THe tip fits on the centerstand button easier.. Works Great.

I agree.LongRanger_imp said:I read the MCN article too, and while I need to go back and read it again, generally in a good portion of motorcycle fatalities, the rider is DUI, riding without a helmet, and/or doesn't have an endorsement. That's not to suggest that licensed, ATGATT, sober riders aren't at risk, but those who aren't generally face much more difficult odds and I think the accident statistics bear that out.