Nemo, so glad your story had a happy ending. The wife and I spent last Thursday watching Weather Channel and CNN for storm reports, and worrying about you guys travelling, plus family in Vero and friends in Melbourne - fortunately it all turned out OK.
I'll second what Ferret said, the BRP is just gorgeous heading south from Little Switzerland, plus there are a lot of really cool rides up into and down from the mountains: 226a (Diamondback), hwy 80, hwy 181, just to name a few. The view from the top of Mount Mitchell is spectacular, especially on a day like today, where there's not a cloud in the sky, and I'll bet you can see for 50 miles! OH well, as Cormanus said, there's always next year - and I'd be thrilled to show you around my "backyard". Rhotodendron blooms on the BRP are awesome in the spring!