Colors

Nark_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I just sold my Ducati and was looking for something more upright and reliable and I fell in love with the CB1100. I had a 71 CB750 before the Ducati and loved the ride.

I was thinking about the Bonneville too.

My biggest problem with the Honda is the color, red. I just don't like red and I can't understand why they wouldn't bring black to the United States. My latest inquiry with my dealer is that they will not be bringing black to the U.S. again this year.

I see Samurider sells black tanks. Has anyone gone that route?
 
One member has...as well as the black side covers I believe.
 
It's a gamble, but it might even be cheaper to buy a 2013 red model, and a black gas tank from Samurider, as we don't yet know MSRP for the 2014 bike (whatever color it might be).
 
You know, if they'd have had black I'd have probably bought the black, but now Im glad they didn't. I absolutely love the red now.
 
I wonder how the CB750 colour scheme from 1977 would have gone over. Honda has done some very nice colour schemes over the years. The red white and blue is also well done.
 
So, is it official? Has Honda announced that red is the only color again next year?

As I've mentioned before, I need black because the sidecar I already have that I am going to attach to the CB is black. My sidecar is a type that wouldn't look right in red. I know an excellent painter who has painted bike parts for me in the past who does incredible paint work. I don't like the idea of painting a new bike but I have no doubt it will look fantastic and won't cost nearly as much as a new tank and side panels. The only thing that really bothers me is that I really wanted the silver wheels and engine too.
 
Even if they brought black here, there are no guarantees that the wheels and engine would be silver.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
So, is it official? Has Honda announced that red is the only color again next year?

As I've mentioned before, I need black because the sidecar I already have that I am going to attach to the CB is black. My sidecar is a type that wouldn't look right in red. I know an excellent painter who has painted bike parts for me in the past who does incredible paint work. I don't like the idea of painting a new bike but I have no doubt it will look fantastic and won't cost nearly as much as a new tank and side panels. The only thing that really bothers me is that I really wanted the silver wheels and engine too.
No official announcement I have seen, but I'd be really surprised if Honda brought in the black with silver engine and wheels. Could happen though . Personally I would expect no change.

Btw I once bought a 1969 BSA 750 Rocket three with basically no miles on it from the original owner. It was black. I knew BSA only made them in red or green and asked the seller about it (older fellow). He said it was originally red but he would never own a bike that wasn't black, so before he took delivery he had them pull the tanks, side covers and fenders and he took them and had them painted black, then took them back to the dealership for reassembly, before he would take it off the floor. Fun bike, very cool looking, great sound, plenty of power for back then, but I had wished he had left it with original paint. Last I heard the bike was in Saudi Arabia.
 
Back when I sold Honda's they would change the colour every year (76 CJ360T was maroon, the 77 was maroon too, but had the orange stripe on the tank). So at the very least they change the graphics on a bike. So I would be mildly surprised if they brought over the same colour.

Mildly.

Are there examples where they kept a colour over multiple years that I'm missing; ruining my fine theory? :)
 
Hmmm, let me think

75 76 77 red GL 1000

80, 81 82 Cb 900 2 tone blue or 2 tone maroon

Cb 350f 2 years red 2 years green

Cb 400 f 2 years red

Think im right on those
 
The 91-03 750 nighthawks cha ged a little and had a couple of one year colors, but they also kept colors too like black and red.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Hmmm, let me think

75 76 77 red GL 1000

80, 81 82 Cb 900 2 tone blue or 2 tone maroon

Cb 350f 2 years red 2 years green

Cb 400 f 2 years red

Think im right on those
Wow Ferret, you had to go wayyyy back in time for those! :D

Some more recent examples:

Honda 919--changed every year
VFR800--changed every year
ST1300--changed color every year from 2002--2008
VFR1200F--changed color every year (2010--red, 2012--blue, 2013--black)
CBR sportbikes--change every year (black, and red/blk being a common color among the choices)
Goldwing--a variety of changing colors every year--some staple colors

I'll hold you to a bet Ferret that the 2014 CB1100 is a different color.

The loser buys the first cup of coffee and slice of pie when we finally get to meet! :beerchug:
 
You are on pal! Tea and pie mmmmmmmm

I'm more familiar with the old stuff ... Being old and all.

Remember I was in the business from 1972-1989 so anything since 1990 is new fangled stuff
 
Randy B_imp said:
Even if they brought black here, there are no guarantees that the wheels and engine would be silver.
Yeah, I thought about that but since the black bikes elsewhere have silver wheels and engine, there would be a good chance. I think a black bike with two-tone wheels and engine is a little heavy on the black and perhaps the Honda guys would agree. Of course there's no way of knowing. There are red bikes elsewhere with silver wheels. One of the photos on the Total site is red with silver wheels and engine.

Ferret is probably right, though. There will probably be no change. I'm glad I have a good painter for the tank and side panels. I suppose I could always have the wheels powder coated too.
 
'89, '90 and '91 Hawk GT — red only.

I'm just glad that Honda is bringing the CB1100 back for 2014 regardless of the color (although the red is by far my favorite :D).
 
I hope that Honda does bring it in 2014 in another color..then people will know mine is an original. :celebrate:
 
Any color would be great if they would have matching side covers. I love the red, but it would be so much better with matching side covers. As said before somewhere on the forum, it would complete the look.
 
Lenny0264_imp said:
Any color would be great if they would have matching side covers. I love the red, but it would be so much better with matching side covers. As said before somewhere on the forum, it would complete the look.
You're right, Lenny. I don't know what they were thinking. Matching side covers looks much better IMO.
 
Back
Top