Clutch Fluid

Wagonpeddler_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Time to change....Have a vacuum bleeder. Recommend removing the old fluid from the reservoir first, or just pumping the old fluid, then adding new?
Thanks.
 
This is prob gonna sound ridiculous but what fluid are you using for the clutch side? I'm literally starring at my brake and clutch reservoirs going "I should flush those"

I know how to do the brakes but have never flushed a hydraulic clutch? Mind doing a write up or taking some pictures when you do yours?

I have a Motive PowerBleeder for my car and LOVE it. Makes the job so easy. I'm tempted to buy the adapters to use it on the motorcycle reservoirs.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Time to change....Have a vacuum bleeder. Recommend removing the old fluid from the reservoir first, or just pumping the old fluid, then adding new?
Thanks.
I just Googled the forum cause the the search function in the tapatalk app never works.

CB1100 Forum - CLUTCH FLUID CHANGE

Good write up minus pictures for the clutch flush. Seems simple enough like doing brakes.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Saw that thread too. Specifically...."Next, take your hand held bleeder and vacuum out all the fluid in the brake master. Do not pump the clutch handle as this may allow air to enter the system. Simply remove the contaminated fluid and refill the reservoir to the inner max level line with fresh DOT4 brake fluid".
Suggested removing the old fluid from the reservoir first....just wondering if that was the preferred method.
 
This is how I do by using synthetic DOT4 brake fluid for clutch and brake hydraulic circuits. I use suction machine as well.
Also, have ready some water to clean and rinse in case if one spills brake fluid >> corrosive and eats paint.
Before flushing, I always suck out the old fluid including sediment/black stuff, then filled up reservoirs and suck out again, now it's clean and ready for flushing. Engine and ignition OFF.
Providing there are no leaks and fluids were at the proper working levels*, I start sucking/bleeders crack open, the LF caliper then the RF while topping up the brake reservoir at least a few time, to ensure particular circuit received sufficient and fresh fluid flush.
Then, I continue flushing while pumping brake lever, LF>>RF caliper.
Final step and performance test: pump up brake lever a few times until "solid" then crack open and close bleeders, repeat 2-3 times. Test brake lever, cannot be spungee/soft when flushing is completed. Fluids are not compressible but perfect to transfer motion.
Very important with brakes: adjust reservoir fluid level to its pre-flushing stage* cos fluid level will very in accordance to pads wear, thinner pads = lower fluid level, new pads = level is at its max.
Similar procedure with the rear brake.

Clutch similar procedure, except "solid" stage and leave fluid level at its allowable max.

When completed, mandatory road test to check brake and clutch performance.

530deb07eb49c1132ee700ed39221f8e.jpg


Before flushing - black colour

dffab78c1d86b7dc5249e9feb51bd47c.jpg


cc9ec3c4f97948477f037a51daffb362.jpg


After flushing- light brown colour

b4bb14deaa029a2f07118f6d9aed83bf.jpg


4948539b3c14f05bc5350e881d2f1f4c.jpg


These pics were taken when I did my white standard.
Soon will do my DLX.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I should consider bleedin' my hydraulics one day. Last one done in '84.
Haha and here i am worried that I missed the 2 year interval by 9 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I should consider bleedin' my hydraulics one day. Last one done in '84.
Haha and here i am worried that I missed the 2 year interval by 9 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Haha and here i am worried that I missed the 2 year interval by 9 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I reckon if the fluid is black like tar, then for sure it should be replaced.

Most cages on the road have original hydraulic fluid from 10 or more years ago. Albeit, the volumes are much more significant than motorcycles. Nobody around my circle get their brakes flushed. Not sure why that is. Even garages are not eager to bother. Again, weird. Decades ago this was not the case.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
I should consider bleedin' my hydraulics one day. Last one done in '84.
Haha and here i am worried that I missed the 2 year interval by 9 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Haha and here i am worried that I missed the 2 year interval by 9 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I reckon if the fluid is black like tar, then for sure it should be replaced.

Most cages on the road have original hydraulic fluid from 10 or more years ago. Albeit, the volumes are much more significant than motorcycles. Nobody around my circle get their brakes flushed. Not sure why that is. Even garages are not eager to bother. Again, weird. Decades ago this was not the case.
Haha and here i am worried that I missed the 2 year interval by 9 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
I reckon if the fluid is black like tar, then for sure it should be replaced.

Most cages on the road have original hydraulic fluid from 10 or more years ago. Albeit, the volumes are much more significant than motorcycles. Nobody around my circle get their brakes flushed. Not sure why that is. Even garages are not eager to bother. Again, weird. Decades ago this was not the case. Great point, now that I got the Motive powerbleeder I flushed my car twice in the last 3 years

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Thanks, PB. Was just concerned that removing ALL the fluid from reservoir would increase the chance for air getting into the system.
 
Lexus flushes brake fluid every 30K miles. Mine is scheduled for the second flush next month when it is in for some service.

Meanwhile my CB is due for the 2 year flush. I need to get on that.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Thanks, PB. Was just concerned that removing ALL the fluid from reservoir would increase the chance for air getting into the system.
Never pump when reservoir is empty....if any air by any chance = will get purged during procedure as indicated.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Thanks, PB. Was just concerned that removing ALL the fluid from reservoir would increase the chance for air getting into the system.
If that happens, just re-prime the system with fresh fluid. I would not be the end of the world. Keep enough handy.
 
Does anyone have a photo of where the bleeder/clutch slave cylinder is? The write up sais to remove the shink linkage from the plastic side cover but the shift linkage goes to metal cover and the plastic cover is up near the tank? I think im just reading something wrong but photos or videos make it alot easier for me to visualize.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
mvk24_imp said:
Does anyone have a photo of where the bleeder/clutch slave cylinder is? The write up sais to remove the shink linkage from the plastic side cover but the shift linkage goes to metal cover and the plastic cover is up near the tank? I think im just reading something wrong but photos or videos make it alot easier for me to visualize.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
That is not the plastic cover you seek. This video by Terrence O'Keeffe is fun to watch once you get past the painful music and intro. Should answer all your questions.
:beerchug:
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Does anyone have a photo of where the bleeder/clutch slave cylinder is? The write up sais to remove the shink linkage from the plastic side cover but the shift linkage goes to metal cover and the plastic cover is up near the tank? I think im just reading something wrong but photos or videos make it alot easier for me to visualize.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
That is not the plastic cover you seek. This video by Terrence O'Keeffe is fun to watch once you get past the painful music and intro. Should answer all your questions.
:beerchug:
That is not the plastic cover you seek. This video by Terrence O'Keeffe is fun to watch once you get past the painful music and intro. Should answer all your questions.
d844df5bf20179abebbf35898a5cff71.png
Awesome thanks Nacho
5f2c20eba9a2f697c7884e25ff840789.png


2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Does anyone have a photo of where the bleeder/clutch slave cylinder is? The write up sais to remove the shink linkage from the plastic side cover but the shift linkage goes to metal cover and the plastic cover is up near the tank? I think im just reading something wrong but photos or videos make it alot easier for me to visualize.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
That is not the plastic cover you seek. This video by Terrence O'Keeffe is fun to watch once you get past the painful music and intro. Should answer all your questions.
:beerchug:
That is not the plastic cover you seek. This video by Terrence O'Keeffe is fun to watch once you get past the painful music and intro. Should answer all your questions.
eb8cb1f8b03f7c302c19aa2d559ff7a5.png
That was a great and concise video I appreciate it. Is that guy still a member here?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
He is indeed: Tev62.
 
Back
Top