Cleaning the Exhaust Pipes

ahm12_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello Everyone

Can anyone recommend best solution/product for cleaning the exaust ?

I am seeing 3 things on my exhaust blue coloration, gold coloration and grey spots. What are these grey spots ? i use bluejob powder which seems to be working as you can see in the picture but i feel like i should be using something else get rid of these grey spots first. Sorry i am not very good with this stuff. If bluejob is the only solution looks like its going to take me forever.

Thank You,
 
If you've got the steel pipes on a '14 model, I can give you my regimen.

spray down with OptiGlanz

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/optiglanz-cleaner-for-stailnless-steel-250-ml/10004155


and follow the directions on the bottle. flush with clean cold water afterwards until completely clean, then wipe down dry with clean cloth or rags.

next, apply Generous dollops of Mothers polish
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...8-UmjDKUUo6hOE0aAmgFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

on a green scotch brite pad, generous elbow grease until you see the black polish residue appearing. wipe everything off completely clean with clean dry towels or rags. repeat if the polish was not complete, but you should get a gorgeous factory-new-like steel finish.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
If you've got the steel pipes on a '14 model, I can give you my regimen.

spray down with OptiGlanz

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/optiglanz-cleaner-for-stailnless-steel-250-ml/10004155


and follow the directions on the bottle. flush with clean cold water afterwards until completely clean, then wipe down dry with clean cloth or rags.

next, apply Generous dollops of Mothers polish
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...8-UmjDKUUo6hOE0aAmgFEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

on a green scotch brite pad, generous elbow grease until you see the black polish residue appearing. wipe everything off completely clean with clean dry towels or rags. repeat if the polish was not complete, but you should get a gorgeous factory-new-like steel finish.
where did you buy optiglanz in US ? looks like the right product
 
well, officially, i didn't buy it in the US, i ordered it online from Germany. Well worth it though, that stuff is magic. works wonders on your collector too.
 
Yoshimura Stain Magic. No scrub pads. No elbow grease. Less than an hour. Have a drink ready. Let it act for 15 minutes, and then use a bit of wrist action.

Optionally, follow-up with your favourite metal polisher. This will provide the mirror-like finish. I use a product called Peek.

- - -

But as popgun indicated, this is one of many places to look:
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....8&page=481
 
Autosol and an old sock or t-shirt. Like GUNK degreaser, bikers have been using Autosol for more than 60 years. Wear nitrate gloves as anything this nasty can't be good for your skin. It also turns the sock black.

Draw a line of Autosol down the header and spread it with the sock. Leave it sit for a few minutes. Wrap the sock around the header, twice if it is long enough. Grab the ends of the sock and rotate it back and forth around the header, moving it slowly up and down as you do.

Learned this when I bought my first 650cc BSA Lightning in 1967. Never found anything else that would remove the blue and toasted bugs as well.
 
Autosol has been my go-to cleaner for many years, but I am always willing to read the experiences of others and learn.
Autosol and seesaw action with a long cloth works well, but anything that does not require effort looks appealing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 
ahm12_imp said:
I ordered Yoshimura Stain Magic will see
Remember to shake well before use. Wear gloves and eye protection. Best at reasonably warm or better air temperature. Apply, let stand for maybe 15 minutes, then rub off. You may need a second application. In terms just of the headers, one tube should last for many years.
 
Rocky_imp said:
Autosol has been my go-to cleaner for many years, but I am always willing to read the experiences of others and learn.
Autosol and seesaw action with a long cloth works well, but anything that does not require effort looks appealing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's the way to keep the headers of my CB shining and it's a way that takes some time and needs some effort.
When not riding I cover the headers with Balistol oil and rubb the oil off again before the next ride. An endless and ever ongoing procedere. But it's worth the doing, the next cleaning session is much shorter and the effort is minimized.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
small update . i tried yoshimura and blue magic chrome polish.

i personally think blue magic chrome polish worked better than yoshimura and its only 6$ on amazon.

2 pipes done , remaining two next week..
 
I read this thread, as I was wondering what to use on my pipes as well, as they have the same speckling. I picked up a jar of Blue Magic at Walmart last night for about six bucks. After about an hour of work with a cloth strip wrapped around each pipe, using the see-saw method, they are beautiful.
 
I got some Autosol and gave it a try. The brown went away right now! The freckles still need some work. Some went away easy, some with some work, and some need more work.

Might try that Blue Magic too. The Autosol is expensive.
 
Wow, the bottle I bought came from the UK and cost $23USD.
 
Back
Top