Cleaning question

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
G'day

This morning, as I took it off, I brilliantly let the lining of my jacket some into contact with the pipe header. I now have a lump of synthetic material fused to the header.

Can anyone help with suggestions for getting it off, please?

Cheers
 
Cormanus_imp said:
G'day

This morning, as I took it off, I brilliantly let the lining of my jacket some into contact with the pipe header. I now have a lump of synthetic material fused to the header.

Can anyone help with suggestions for getting it off, please?

Cheers
Try a steel wool soap pad, then metal polish.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
G'day

This morning, as I took it off, I brilliantly let the lining of my jacket some into contact with the pipe header. I now have a lump of synthetic material fused to the header.

Can anyone help with suggestions for getting it off, please?

Cheers
Try a steel wool soap pad, then metal polish.
Thanks Pterodactyl. I hope that doesn't mean I'll have to do all the headers. Can't have one shiny one.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Nah, if you clean it like a saucepan you should be right. No need for polish if you like.
Excellent. I should have lifted some of it off with a stick or something when it was hot. I'm vaguely tempted to try reheating it and seeing if I can get some of it that way.

By the way, and unrelated, thanks for the advice about the AirHawk seat. It has made a big difference. I'll now have to get one for my wife for when she comes with me.
 
When I crashed the Griso the tank bag whipped off and the foam that sits against the tank melted on a header. Lot's of black crud melted on it.

Once the pipe got hot again it was easy peasy to remove and I hear most of it burned off. Used semi-chrome to buff up the rest so it would go back to that nice tan colour.

Don't use steel wool. Too abrasive. No 3M pads either.
 
Rboe_imp said:
When I crashed the Griso the tank bag whipped off and the foam that sits against the tank melted on a header. Lot's of black crud melted on it.

Once the pipe got hot again it was easy peasy to remove and I hear most of it burned off. Used semi-chrome to buff up the rest so it would go back to that nice tan colour.

Don't use steel wool. Too abrasive. No 3M pads either.
True...
 
Try some easy off oven cleaner, warm the pipe up first then spray on the cleaner,works for black heel marks too.
 
Rboe_imp said:
When I crashed the Griso the tank bag whipped off and the foam that sits against the tank melted on a header. Lot's of black crud melted on it.

Once the pipe got hot again it was easy peasy to remove and I hear most of it burned off. Used semi-chrome to buff up the rest so it would go back to that nice tan colour.

Don't use steel wool. Too abrasive. No 3M pads either.
I have used the fine steel wool pads, impregnated with (pink) soap and the result was good. Then again, as I said in another thread, I am not a slave to the CB"s beauty :)

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
When I crashed the Griso the tank bag whipped off and the foam that sits against the tank melted on a header. Lot's of black crud melted on it.

Once the pipe got hot again it was easy peasy to remove and I hear most of it burned off. Used semi-chrome to buff up the rest so it would go back to that nice tan colour.

Don't use steel wool. Too abrasive. No 3M pads either.
I have used the fine steel wool pads, impregnated with (pink) soap and the result was good. Then again, as I said in another thread, I am not a slave to the CB"s beauty :)

Cheers
I have used the fine steel wool pads, impregnated with (pink) soap and the result was good. Then again, as I said in another thread, I am not a slave to the CB"s beauty :)

Cheers
Must have been the pink soap, Pterodactyl.
This has been instructive for me. Perhaps there are rules for seeking advice on forums. I don't know; this is the first one I've ever joined. What I've learned is:
[li]Ask the question.[/li] [li]Sit in front of the browser clicking refresh and hoping for an answer that doesn't make you feel like a complete moron for asking the question in the first place.[/li] [li]Get answer. be relieved you weren't mocked. Get excited and rush out and buy the product recommended.[/li] [li]Get home and check the instructions only to find that there's a new post(s) offering different solutions and suggesting the first one might not be the best.[/li] [li]Have a beer.[/li] [li]Have another beer.[/li] [li]Go back to point 5.[/li] [li]Next morning, if you can remember anything, review the post. Order the suggestions from least invasive to most invasive.[/li] [li]Implement, hoping like hell one of them works.[/li] [li]Have a beer.
[/li]
In this case, I'm delighted to report that, having run the engine for a minute or so, the headers were so hot the offending goop wiped off with a rag leaving no trace. That's partly because I have let them stay discoloured. I like the bike to look good, but cleaning is not one of my passions.

Thanks, everyone for your help. I appreciate your tolerance and support.

Really. :beerchug:

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Good onya mate. May I suggest.......have one more beer for luck.
Done! :beerchug:

Houtman_imp said:
You also have to drink the right beer : HEINEKEN
Any different views here on the "right" beer?
 
Well..I don't drink alcohol ( don't care for the taste, not out of some holier than thou reason) and to me all beer tastes exactly the same. Tastes just like beer. I've tasted reg, light, carmel, white, dark ( last 2 in Germany) and they all just taste like beer.

I do enjoy about 10 cups of hot tea with milk and sugar a day...and a soft drink occasionally.
 
Thread starter
You're probably wise or lucky or both, Ferret. Much as I like a beer, I never combine it with riding the CB. There's a great deal to be said for hot tea. I take mine without milk. Maybe we need a tea emoticon?
 
Lol I think we had a tea thread going a few months ago. I was surprised how many on here are tea drinkers.

Elipten... My dad used to get those bad, but he was a coffee drinker. I have had my kidneys X-rayed and so far, all is good. Remarkable considering My younger brother and I have both been drinking tea all day long for well over 50 years. As a matter of fact I'm having a cup right now. Mmmmmmmm
 
I use to drink a little when I was younger, but now, being on blood pressure, allergy and cholesterol meds if I drink a beer I don't get that fuzzy feeling, I get a sick feeling. I usually have one cup of coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. If we go out to dinner I will sometimes get a un-sweet tea. I haven't had a soft drink in 10years. Oh, and down here that's ice tea. :thumbsup:
 
I think we all know that Guinness is the only "right" beer...

Ferret, possibly another topic to your "do not discuss" list!

And the cool thing about Guinness; The Official Honda Workshop Manual (Kindle edition 4.20) states thus: "If the prescribed engine oil is not available, Guinness Stout Draught, Nitro Can, may be used as a substitute until said engine oil is procured." I assume they want you to use the Nitro infused beer because it adds a creaminess that ensures proper lubrication of engine components without excessive foaming...
 
Back
Top