Chrome mudguards question

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just wondering what people do to protect underneath chrome mudguards.

I'm thinking of painting mine as I can see a few stone chips and scratches which I guess will rust in the future. I would use Hammerite black but theres many new paints out there nowadays which maybe better.

Anyone used plastic paint ? or any suggestions ?
TIA
 
Auto body shop use a primer that contains epoxy, very preventive against rust.
Prior application surface must be clean and rust free.
Do not know if can be apply onto chrome surface.
There is a variety of good and easy to use products on the market.
 
I’m concerned about the possibility of rust as well. One thing I did when I got my bike was to use some metal polish up under the rear fender to get the metal as clean as possible. And when I return from a ride where I may have hit a puddle or two, I’ll give the inside of the fender a quick wipe with a towel. I’m hoping that would prevent any rust from forming.
 
Find a way to affix a durable plastic liner to the fender well? (maybe even "spray-on" a durable liner, if such a product exists?)

At least it will deal with debris and there is no surface to "re-touch" when damaged.
 
Using a cleaner or polish on chrome leaves it bare and unprotected. If rust was a concern, I'd spray the underside with undercoating, especially where the steel is rolled over at the edges. I'd keep the outer surfaces waxed or silicone-based protectant covered.
 
Tried several layers of acrylic clear coat, looked great at first but it did not last.
Then cleaned the fenders again and put wide pvc tape in the center where the most wear takes place and covered it with avery light grey wrap, you could use clear film wrap as well, it stretches a bit when applied and still looks good.
Posted some pictures here but cannot find the thread now to show you what it looks like.

Then more clear acrylic spray at the edges where not a lot of wear occurs to protect the four spots where the chrome is absent in my bike when the fender is supported during chroming i think.
 
Thread starter
Some good ideas thanks.
Max.. your right I think it needs something thicker than paint which will chip with stones, like the tape idea so will look into that further maybe the flat roof sealer tape or similar. Its out of sight so dosn't matter how it looks so long as it protects and lasts.
Houtman_imp said:
Sorry , I read chain guard instead of mud guard !
Easily done :) My chain guard is plastic :( would be nice in chrome or stainless.
 
What about plasti-dip or one of the other flex-seal type coatings?
Easy to DIY, you can layer them up to create a thick coating, easy to touch up and will just peel off if you want to re-apply or use something else.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Some good ideas thanks.
Max.. your right I think it needs something thicker than paint which will chip with stones, like the tape idea so will look into that further maybe the flat roof sealer tape or similar. Its out of sight so dosn't matter how it looks so long as it protects and lasts.
Houtman_imp said:
Sorry , I read chain guard instead of mud guard !
Easily done :) My chain guard is plastic :( would be nice in chrome or stainless.
Easily done :) My chain guard is plastic :( would be nice in chrome or stainless.
I bought chrome ones from Mr.T for my 2013 and 2014 . The 2017 already had a metal one.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Just wondering what people do to protect underneath chrome mudguards.

I'm thinking of painting mine as I can see a few stone chips and scratches which I guess will rust in the future. I would use Hammerite black but theres many new paints out there nowadays which maybe better.

Anyone used plastic paint ? or any suggestions ?
TIA
I have never tried this for a fender before, but has anybody tried using a fuel tank sealer? I used a product call Redkote inside one of my gas tanks and it is a very thin layer of plastic coating. it seams to stick really well, and is very durable.
 
LOL I have a hard time believing anyone actually looks at the bottom of their fenders. I don' think I've ever looked at the bottom of a fender but then I'm a rider and not a polisher. The other day on another forum I read a guy complaining about how difficult it was to remove and clean the center stand on his bike. All I could think of was REALLY?
 
The ferret_imp said:
LOL I have a hard time believing anyone actually looks at the bottom of their fenders. I don' think I've ever looked at the bottom of a fender but then I'm a rider and not a polisher. The other day on another forum I read a guy complaining about how difficult it was to remove and clean the center stand on his bike. All I could think of was REALLY?
Oh gosh.

When I first looked under the CB1100 rear fender it was probably three years in of ownership. I said, " ... huh, rust already? This is like 2017, not 1975". Anyway, I moved on to whatever I was doing at the time.

RE center stand: Unless it is caked with mud, cow patties or road kill, it ought to be a bit greasy from the front sprocket. This is good, eh? Helps keep exposed metal from corroding. I had a few corroded center stands in the past and it was a minor nuisance to lube up. Hmm, come to think of it I think they were on all shaft final drive bikes. :D
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Just wondering what people do to protect underneath chrome mudguards.

I'm thinking of painting mine as I can see a few stone chips and scratches which I guess will rust in the future. I would use Hammerite black but theres many new paints out there nowadays which maybe better.

Anyone used plastic paint ? or any suggestions ?
TIA
por 15 works very well
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
LOL I have a hard time believing anyone actually looks at the bottom of their fenders. I don' think I've ever looked at the bottom of a fender but then I'm a rider and not a polisher. The other day on another forum I read a guy complaining about how difficult it was to remove and clean the center stand on his bike. All I could think of was REALLY?
I had planned on this bike being a keeper so was just trying to keep it in good condition but yea your right I won't bother I will just ride it. When the rust comes through the fenders I'll just paint over them with black paint :D

Back in the 80's a work mate had an orange VW beetle which the paint had peeled and most of the bodywork was just rust, there was hardly any paint left just rust all over the car.
One day a rep from VW came by and offered to take the car away because it was a bad advert for them and leave him a new one in its place. He accepted and got a brand new car.

I wonder if Honda would do the same ? I'm throwing all my cleaning stuff away :D
 
I don't blame you for wanting to take great care of your stuff. As a matter of fact, I love buying bikes from guys like you.. pristine perfect showroom condition, low miles, at half what they cost new ;)


then I ride the snot out of them, in all kinds of weather, never to be washed again, until I wear them out. :rofl:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I don't blame you for wanting to take great care of your stuff. As a matter of fact, I love buying bikes from guys like you.. pristine perfect showroom condition, low miles, at half what they cost new ;)


then I ride the snot out of them, in all kinds of weather, never to be washed again, until I wear them out. :rofl:
Ha ha you will not want to buy this one after me, its covered in salt now after todays ride and not being washed again
I'm now looking for a classic Vmax to restore and polish up thanks for making me see sense :D
 
Quote:I don't blame you for wanting to take great care of your stuff. As a matter of fact, I love buying bikes from guys like you.. pristine perfect showroom condition, low miles, at half what they cost new.
If I ever grow tired of my CB1100, it may be about the time yours is worn out. I'll have to remember to give you a ring. I'm the guy you'd want to buy from.
 
Back
Top