Chicago to Gatlinburg Ride -- advice/suggestions requested

Just be aware you might run into a detour or two, I came across several last year just cruising around. If you do go to Oxford 27 south of Richmond will be more scenic than crossing over to 35 to 127 in Ohio. There is also a huge old limestone courthouse in downtown Richmond that looks cool, and the town itself won't take long to cruise through.
 
If you ever get the chance to take this route please ride the super fantastic twistes for me .. You can squeeze it from your Chicago - Cincinnati- gatlingburg trip..

The road from from mc kee,ky to Livingston, ky on local route 89 and 490 is on of my top 3 routes ever in my life personally .. It a detour off interstate 75

I LOVE California for its twisties and scenic routes .. but the route here are overrated compared to some of the routes in KY, TN, NC, WV ... Etc.. Etc.. This is my personal opinion only ..

Another favorite is the 50 mile twisty road on the cherohala skyway .. http://www.cherohala.org

Sorry to hijack ..

Cheers .. The pics are from my "tail of the dragon" trip on my 78 cb750 and not maybe from the route mentioned above but enjoy the memories ..

d24cdd6e28cb1de3a7b9c990c247443c.jpg


1c7fd222114e2ab6fb9c127300919ada.jpg



25ace3f1e474f0a864c9ec35aaf68b40.jpg


1c0bcc24e096eeedca2677ea3c300695.jpg
 
Hey there empty.....If you guys want to come and hang out in a very cool place thats a little farther to the north by about a hour check out Hotel Versailles | Hotel Near Versailles, Ohio | Official Site...We are a 22 room country inn with a pretty smoken restaurant/bar...We are a farm to table restaurant... wood fired steaks,chops, chicken , fresh fish and wood fired pizzas....Killed bar...There is a local wineary about 4miles down the road....cool old downtown area. I will show you and your group a great time!!
 
Thread starter
First...why did I not see these last three posts until now? (cuz I'm a moron, that's why)

@Randy - I've decided that our target route (never know if you have to make weather-related alternates) through Indiana will be US30 to IN13 into Wabash and then work our way over to US27 straight down into Richmond. If we go to Oxford, we'll take 227 out of Richmond and hit 732 into Oxford--I've driven 732 in a car and it seems like a pretty way to get into oxford.

@IndianRider - You didn't hijack. You added great information! Thanks for the pictures and advice. We're staying in Berea, KY on our second night, so I think we can hit the roads you suggested on our way to Cumberland Falls SP and then on to our next stop in Clinton, TN. If you're curious, and if this link works, here's the route I've worked out for that day. HST 4 -- Berea, KY to Clinton, TN - Google My Maps

@Mike Delligatta - What a cool place! I tried and tried to figure out a way to include a stop at your place, even for a meal. I don't think the timing will work for a food stop and you're just a bit too far north for an overnight stop as it would make for too long of a second day. I will keep you in mind for future trips to the area, especially if we're heading to Oxford to visit my daughter..the lodging in and around Oxford is pretty sketchy.
 
Thread starter
OldF7Guy, in another post, indicated that he would like to know the route we are taking through KY. I mapped this based on Ferret's written directions and I think I have it pretty much correct. I am hoping that Ferret will be available to lead so that I do not have to refer to my map too often. :)

Here's the map from Fairfield, OH to Paris, KY HST 2 - Sharonville, OH to Paris, KY - Google My Maps Ferret would be breaking back home at this point.

Here's what I sort of planned for the ride from Paris to Berea HST 3 - Paris, KY to Berea, KY (Boone Tavern) - Google My Maps

And here's what we are going to do from on the next day from Berea to Clinton, TN HST 4 -- Berea, KY to Clinton, TN - Google My Maps

I think I hit some of the important (aka fun) roads, based upon my research. If anyone knows of worthwhile points of interest in the vicinity of our path, please chime in. It's my job to make this ride fun for my friends so I'm looking for input. Also, if you're a rider in the area and are available to meet up with our little group on April 27th, let me know.

Matt
 
The section of the map in my area looks perfect. Are you going to be spending that night in Fairfield?
 
Thread starter
That's the plan. I know you suggested another spot, but the consensus was to keep our Day1 to under 350 miles and that put us there while still allowing a stop in Oxford to harrass my daughter.
 
No prob. Will probably meet y'all for breakfast and go from there. Just keep me informed as to where you are staying, and what time you want to meet.
 
Well I had hoped to meet you guys for breakfast and a little riding but plans have changed and I will be riding to st. Petersburg also leaving on 4-26. Hope you guys have a good ride and breakfast, and that weather is favorable for all.
 
Thread starter
Well...this isn't a ride report, really. More of a PRE-ride report. 6 riders on 5 bikes will be leaving from Chicago on Saturday on our way to the great roads of The Great Smoky Mountains. Forecast departure temperature is 41f, but should warm up somewhere around Indianapolis. First night in Cincinnati. Second day should be awesome with The Ferret leading our group through some of his favorite roads in Kentucky along with stops at other points of interest and traveling by ferry across the Ohio River! We'll see if I can make a few posts along the way, but it may have to wait until we return to Chicago. 59hr07min until KSU :D
 
Cool! I got up at 6 am to read the ride report. Now it will have to wait until after the MotoGP...".................... Just kidding. Looking forward to the report. I see you got to the Cherahola ;)

That last pic is terrific. Background almost looks like a painting.
 
Thread starter
I have the report written out longhand. I'll post it this week, but from a PC rather than my iPad...too much of a pain to insert multiple photos from my iPad.
 
I think there is a 10 pic limit in a post, so after you post 10 you will have to have someone respond before you can " new reply" add more. I think that will work.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think there is a 10 pic limit in a post, so after you post 10 you will have to have someone respond before you can " new reply" add more. I think that will work.
I think if you stop with ten images and then start another post to add more images they will combine as long as someone does not get in a post ahead of your second one. :huh: Hope I made some sense with that.

The pics thus far are super. Let's see some more.
 
Yes I believe that is right. You can post 10. Then someone has to respond/ reply, before you can post anymore.
 
Actually, post 10, then add another post, and so on. The trouble is you can't ever edit the post as the BB software aggregates them.
 
Back
Top