Cheap Seat Modification - not for the short of leg

pekingduck

Road warrior
Thread starter
I know I've seen a post on the same subject, but can't find it. I have a 30" inseam and found the stock seat too narrow and too low in front, designed to accommodate shorter riders. It may feel okay in the showroom, but it's too narrow to distribute my weight.
The seat-to-peg distance also caused more bend in my knees and hips than I wanted, and I didn't want to lower the pegs.

So, I took my stock seat to my upholsterer, who added some width and height to the stock foam in front only. He extended the sides of the stock cover in the front half so he would have plenty of material to staple, but that material is on the underside - all you see is the stock cover, with the Honda logo in back intact! All for only $75! (And it can be reversed with no damage if you don't like it)

That extra inch in front is just enough to unkink my knees and hips, and the slight additional width distributes the load better. That added to my 919 handlebars makes a perfect sport touring riding position.

Not sure it's for you? Try folding a bath towel up so it's an inch thick and ride a round a little bit.
 
I like the idea of a budget seat fix..

I might strap the bath towel on and ride around a bit like that for a while..then apply duct tape when I'm sure I like it :D

Yes I'm cheap!
 
It's said—cruelly and inaccurately, I suspect—that the English have little use for bath towels anyway. :P
 
Cormanus_imp said:
It's said—cruelly and inaccurately, I suspect—that the English have little use for bath towels anyway. :P
I was told the safest place to hide your money in the UK was under the soap:-/
 
Umm...OUCH!!! Aren't you guys supposed to be NICE to the crown?
See....we don't have to because we kicked em out about 238 years ago. :D
 
Randy B_imp said:
Umm...OUCH!!! Aren't you guys supposed to be NICE to the crown?
See....we don't have to because we kicked em out about 238 years ago. :D
Do you know something I don't, Randy? Is Tortuga the Queen or one of her offspring?

Not that it would change my approach.
 
I was talking about "the safest place to hide your money in the UK" gag....lol. :P
 
Has any one tried one of Bill Mayer Saddles :ERGO CONTOUR saddles ?
I like the Corbins myself but it could work for some people if they want a higher saddle for long trips.
 
Makes me wonder if I could slip one of those gel pads mentioned in another thread under the original seat cover and get a tiny bit more height and a lot less buttburn.
 
I love my Airhawk, besides the fact that it looks dorky strapped to my seat. I only use it on long trips, but it is so comfy I'd consider sticking it under my factory seat cover if I could.
 
Last week I saw a bike with a sheep skin on top of the Airhawk seat, it did not look too "dorky" .
I know what you mean with not looking great but just tell them that you have a very sensitive butt !
 
I don't care what my AirHawk looks like! I wouldn't ride any serious distance without it. So there.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I don't care what my AirHawk looks like! I wouldn't ride any serious distance without it. So there.
And it takes 30 seconds to pull it off when you aren't riding 6-8 hours.

I wish I had tried an Air Hawk before dropping $600 on a custom saddle for my Vee, only to find the $90 Hawk worked better.
 
Back
Top