Chain Monkey

I don't understand how it works? You'd think they would have shown from the side what is happening as you adjust the chain.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't understand how it works? You'd think they would have shown from the side what is happening as you adjust the chain.
I, too, was not completely sure if I understood what the Youtube video was intending to demonstrate. What I THINK was the intention is the following:

The Chain Monkey Tool is designed to "dial in" a certain amount of chain tension corresponding to each specific bike by making use of the curvature created inside the tool so that when the rest of the chain extending to either side of the tool becomes flat and straight (via whatever adjustments are required at the rear axle) and the Chain Monkey Tool is then removed, the proper chain tension is already "dialed in" as it were.

Hope this helps.
fritz
 
yea it didn't help. If there is a kink forced by the tool, and held in place by 2 arms and a bolt with a lock nut, how does that help with chain tension in any way? I don't get it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
yea it didn't help. If there is a kink forced by the tool, and held in place by 2 arms and a bolt with a lock nut, how does that help with chain tension in any way? I don't get it.
Ok, so once the tool forces a certain amount of kink, as you aptly put it, then when the rest of the chain is tightened up with the tool still on so that there is NO SLACK, once the tool is removed there should theoretically be just the right amount of residual "slack" for the required chain tension.

Any better?
fritz
 
so put the kink in it, tighten it tight so there is no slack, undo the tool and there will be the correct slack? Ok think I have it now. I need to see that demo in the flesh lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
so put the kink in it, tighten it tight so there is no slack, undo the tool and there will be the correct slack? Ok think I have it now. I need to see that demo in the flesh lol
You got it! That's what I THINK is going on. Would like to see a live demo myself!

fritz
 


My neighbor keeps a "Chain Smoking Monkey" in his garage to do all of his routine motorcycle maintenance.

Personally, I don't condone such practices and I don't allow his monkey anywhere near my bike...but he is useful when I need my eavestroughs cleaned out ;)

Note: The monkey has no problem measuring and adjusting for proper chain deflection, but when he suggested that I use 10w40 in the CB, well, then I really had to question his mechanical judgement.
 
Back
Top