Chain lube

Back in stock when I checked a few minutes ago so I bought one.

Thanks!

Those shots of a clean chain convinced me to pull the trigger (well, being stock helped a lot too. :D ).
 
Excellent, Rboe! Looking forward to your installation and results!

I assume you ordered the Plus25 high-temp oil?

I'm only running 3/8ths open on Original Oil and the temps have been in the 60s °F / upper teens °C. I'm really wondering what will happen when we hit 80° F / 27° C this summer.

When planning your installation, make sure that no part of the tubing is above the outlet of the reservoir. The instructions don't mention that but the system relies on gravity to prime. I suppose siphoning to get it started is possible, but I didn't deign and made sure the reservoir was mounted high enough.
 
One minor negative about the Tutoro on the CB1100 - for some anyway - might be the fashion eye sore. I didn't notice it on my CB, and I don't notice it on more modern dressed bikes.
 
I sort of hid the reservoir behind my left pannier on the CBR, and did the best I could to hide the clear tubing.

An idea for the CB1100 might be to see if the reservoir could be hidden under the seat, and use black tubing so it's less conspicuous.
 
Stichill_imp said:
I sort of hid the reservoir behind my left pannier on the CBR, and did the best I could to hide the clear tubing.

An idea for the CB1100 might be to see if the reservoir could be hidden under the seat, and use black tubing so it's less conspicuous.
I did consider that, but the real estate under the CB1100 saddle was at the time, Precious.
 
I have Givi bags on the black CB (using an older generation mount) so I have some options.

Yes, I ordered the kit with the higher temp oil; but for Phoenix I may have to run it through an oil cooler to keep it from boiling away. :angel:
 
Very nice looking Stichill, the real magic for me is that somehow the oil spreads evenly ( at least it seems like it ) to the other side of the chain, i cannot work that one out but it impresses me every time, love the photography too man:P
 
max_imp said:
Very nice looking Stichill, the real magic for me is that somehow the oil spreads evenly ( at least it seems like it ) to the other side of the chain, i cannot work that one out but it impresses me every time, love the photography too man:P
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Agreed. Dual nozzle is not required. I am satisfied with the simple and effective behaviour of the Tutoro unit.
It was a great recommendation from you, GO. I'd never heard of it until your postings.
 
Stichill_imp said:
max_imp said:
Very nice looking Stichill, the real magic for me is that somehow the oil spreads evenly ( at least it seems like it ) to the other side of the chain, i cannot work that one out but it impresses me every time, love the photography too man:P
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
I noticed a little spatter on the wheel in the first pic but now that you have it dialed in are you noticing any oil flinging off?
 
Depending on ambient temperature and the desired chain lushness, it can be dialed in to minimize sling, or increased to simulate a black wheel rim and spokes, if you have any.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
max_imp said:
Very nice looking Stichill, the real magic for me is that somehow the oil spreads evenly ( at least it seems like it ) to the other side of the chain, i cannot work that one out but it impresses me every time, love the photography too man:P
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
I noticed a little spatter on the wheel in the first pic but now that you have it dialed in are you noticing any oil flinging off?
Yes, there's fling. But, being a light oil, it wipes right off as compared to heavy chain lubes that stick to the rim even better than the way they were supposed to stick to the chain.

According to Tutoro, some fling is desirable. That's how the oil transports the road grime off the chain.
 
It sounds like a great investment. I'll look into it sometime.
 
:rofl:

Au₂O₃, you have a remarkable memory. Unlike mine which resembles a sieve.

That's part of the answer; another is that I still haven't saved enough pocket money; yet another is that I may not be doing a lot of riding for a bit as other activities will tear me away. I hope I remember what a good idea it is when all the stars align.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
:rofl:

Au₂O₃, you have a remarkable memory. Unlike mine which resembles a sieve.

That's part of the answer; another is that I still haven't saved enough pocket money; yet another is that I may not be doing a lot of riding for a bit as other activities will tear me away. I hope I remember what a good idea it is when all the stars align.
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Installed the oiler today (turns out I had ordered the standard oil - not high temp). Took longer faffing about going to Ace Hardware.




And with the bag attached

What looks like salt deposits, are - hard water deposits from the sprinkler this morning. Oops. :D
 
Stichill_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
max_imp said:
Very nice looking Stichill, the real magic for me is that somehow the oil spreads evenly ( at least it seems like it ) to the other side of the chain, i cannot work that one out but it impresses me every time, love the photography too man:P
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
Thanks, max! Tutoro extolls the ability of the oil to spread evenly across both sides of the chain. They even take pains to say that their testing shows that two nozzles (one on each side of the sprocket) are not necessary / provide no extra benefit.

To get decent closeups (with an iPhone at least) I've learned to stand back a bit and use the zoom feature to get a closer shot that stays in focus.
I noticed a little spatter on the wheel in the first pic but now that you have it dialed in are you noticing any oil flinging off?
Yes, there's fling. But, being a light oil, it wipes right off as compared to heavy chain lubes that stick to the rim even better than the way they were supposed to stick to the chain.

According to Tutoro, some fling is desirable. That's how the oil transports the road grime off the chain.

Hmmm....I might have to consider this. Add to the upgrade list although with multiple bikes that list can take a while to get through. Thanks for the info!

One more question. Is it always "on" or do you need to turn it off and on for each ride?
 
Back
Top