Chain lube

peterbaron_imp said:
If I go ahead with this project - love manual maintenance, I will incorporate the container into plastic chain guard with reenforcement and mini tube, we'll see..
peterbaron, is this mean trick with the small font deliberately designed to torment ageing moderators? I have to wear my spectacles, get a magnifying glass and blow up the size of the text on the screen to read it*.

Don't be embarrassed about loving manual maintenance. We all need mates to help us out with things we don't like and aren't good at. It's just a pity you live so far away.

* I understand that you're embarrassed about mentioning RLETs. I also understand it's because you're not the heretic you pretend to be; rather you can hear them calling you and are afraid to acknowledge their power. Resistance is futile you know.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
If I go ahead with this project - love manual maintenance, I will incorporate the container into plastic chain guard with reenforcement and mini tube, we'll see..
peterbaron, is this mean trick with the small font deliberately designed to torment ageing moderators? I have to wear my spectacles, get a magnifying glass and blow up the size of the text on the screen to read it*.

Don't be embarrassed about loving manual maintenance. We all need mates to help us out with things we don't like and aren't good at. It's just a pity you live so far away.

* I understand that you're embarrassed about mentioning RLETs. I also understand it's because you're not the heretic you pretend to be; rather you can hear them calling you and are afraid to acknowledge their power. Resistance is futile you know.
peterbaron, is this mean trick with the small font deliberately designed to torment ageing moderators? I have to wear my spectacles, get a magnifying glass and blow up the size of the text on the screen to read it*.

Don't be embarrassed about loving manual maintenance. We all need mates to help us out with things we don't like and aren't good at. It's just a pity you live so far away.

* I understand that you're embarrassed about mentioning RLETs. I also understand it's because you're not the heretic you pretend to be; rather you can hear them calling you and are afraid to acknowledge their power. Resistance is futile you know.
I think it is the RLET-effect on PB. :)


PB: I think I was assimilated.
 
I love RLETS...................................... on someone else bike :P:rofl:

always friendly jab :beerchug:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
GO how about a close up pic of the unit mounted on your bike?
I elected to mount externally, however, the alternative was in my under seat "storage" cubicle near the battery. But my cubicle was full of stuff and at the time I was unsure how well the Tutoro would perform, so I mounted it externally thinking I could easily remove it if I didn't like it. It has been in place for four years.



And the close-up ...



The drip tube basically runs down, then along the swingarm, and then lays on the lower hemisphere of the rear sprocket just above the passing chain links.
I elected to mount externally, however, the alternative was in my under seat "storage" cubicle near the battery. But my cubicle was full of stuff and at the time I was unsure how well the Tutoro would perform, so I mounted it externally thinking I could easily remove it if I didn't like it. It has been in place for four years.

And the close-up ...

<<image>>

The drip tube basically runs down, then along the swingarm, and then lays on the lower hemisphere of the rear sprocket just above the passing chain links.
The Mule got the surgery too:

CB1100 Forum
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
GO how about a close up pic of the unit mounted on your bike?
I elected to mount externally, however, the alternative was in my under seat "storage" cubicle near the battery. But my cubicle was full of stuff and at the time I was unsure how well the Tutoro would perform, so I mounted it externally thinking I could easily remove it if I didn't like it. It has been in place for four years.



And the close-up ...



The drip tube basically runs down, then along the swingarm, and then lays on the lower hemisphere of the rear sprocket just above the passing chain links.
HT to @GoldOxide on this one! Really awesome piece of kit.

d2860384360d3000aed3703a31e0f761.jpg


ad11822586740451071f0664481791e8.jpg
 
Hey ya! Clever Stich.

Have you put some mileage on the device? Where do you find your setting? e.g. 1 turn, 2 turns, 3/4 turn? ... etc. at say temperature of 68F.

Currently my Africa Twin it is set to 1 turn. By summer it will be about 0.75 turn. Winter it is about 2 turns.
 
Haven't ridden with it yet...rain. :-/

Really wondering how it will hold up under vibration and dust running on gravel roads. Any experience with that on your AT?
 


This is my scottoiler, fitted to the RHS, very easy to do, just takes time to make a neat job. Once set up you can pretty much ignore them. I Give the chain a quick wipe over from time to time to check all is well. Rear wheel stays pretty clean just the same as the front gets from road dirt etc. just FYI.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Haven't ridden with it yet...rain. :-/

Really wondering how it will hold up under vibration and dust running on gravel roads. Any experience with that on your AT?
A lot of these oilers rely on the vibration of the bike to open the oil path, a small ball bearing settles and closes the valve when it is allowed to settle.
 
Jfro5687_imp said:
This is my scottoiler, fitted to the RHS, very easy to do, just takes time to make a neat job. Once set up you can pretty much ignore them. I Give the chain a quick wipe over from time to time to check all is well. Rear wheel stays pretty clean just the same as the front gets from road dirt etc. just FYI.
That is one nicely kept machine Jfro.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey ya! Clever Stich.

Have you put some mileage on the device? Where do you find your setting? e.g. 1 turn, 2 turns, 3/4 turn? ... etc. at say temperature of 68F.

Currently my Africa Twin it is set to 1 turn. By summer it will be about 0.75 turn. Winter it is about 2 turns.
Went out on my lunch hour for a 45-minute ride. Outside temperature 72° F / 22° C.

Started at 1/2 turn as recommended in the workshop manual. Chain looks fairly wetted. I'm thinking if I rode longer it might become over-oiled. I cut it back to 3/8 turn and will do some more testing.

43fe659a8b6558e6b23db3408ca506d4.jpg


I can see that the oil has started to have the cleaning effect. Dirt is beginning to emerge from the crevices.

15f76fcdbe0f454e104ca2578f5b1a5f.jpg


3ee7b1cfa0dfccdd5d2bb979381320dc.jpg


One thing I'm not super keen on is the way dirt on the sprocket can get pushed into the nozzle when reversing. I always push my bike backwards into the garage. I suppose I need to just give the sprocket a wipe-down once in a while (no hardship with my new Pit Bull rear stand!)



I'm curious how much the oil depletes on a typical ride.

 
Great installation, Stichill.
 
This is the Tutoro oil I reckon? I find it flows easily and does clean as your pictures portray.

Ultimately I settled on synthetic engine oil (5W40). It is strongly suggested to not use conventional engine oil in the Tutoro reservoir.

Yes, that seems to be a strong draw down for a 45 minute ride. Local roads are very bumpy?

I typically get 1500 to 2000 kms from a full fill.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Great installation, Stichill.
Thanks, Cormanus. It can be done in a short afternoon or two evenings without rushing. If you plan to anchor the bracket through any kind of hole on the bike, I recommend picking up a few M5x0.8 stainless steel hex-socket, button-head screws in longer lengths, since two of the three included screws are pretty short (I ordered the TREK kit).

GoldOxide_imp said:
I thought it had used a lot, then I realized my earlier photo was on the side stand and the photo today was on the rear stand, so kind of hard to tell. I probably need to stick a piece of painter's tape on there just to see how far it drops in a typical ride.

Thanks for the 5W40 synthetic tip. That's a good recommendation coming from you as an experienced user of these systems. I was a little worried about the cost of always having to import their special sauce from England (although I'm not opposed to supporting Tutoro, just not DHL as well). I just noticed it is sold out on their website. :-/

One thing that's a little odd is that the temperature range for the original oil tops out at what I would consider right in the middle of normal riding temperature range: 25°C / 77° F. It would be very common for me to leave home in the morning with temperatures around 18° C / 65° F and by afternoon it would be 32° C / 89° F. They mentioned that some riders make a 50/50 blend of both oil grades ("Original" and "Plus 25") to address this issue, making me wonder why they don't just offer the blend as the all-rounder oil.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Great installation, Stichill.
Thanks, Cormanus. It can be done in a short afternoon or two evenings without rushing. If you plan to anchor the bracket through any kind of hole on the bike, I recommend picking up a few M5x0.8 stainless steel hex-socket, button-head screws in longer lengths, since two of the three included screws are pretty short (I ordered the TREK kit).

GoldOxide_imp said:
I thought it had used a lot, then I realized my earlier photo was on the side stand and the photo today was on the rear stand, so kind of hard to tell. I probably need to stick a piece of painter's tape on there just to see how far it drops in a typical ride.

Thanks for the 5W40 synthetic tip. That's a good recommendation coming from you as an experienced user of these systems. I was a little worried about the cost of always having to import their special sauce from England (although I'm not opposed to supporting Tutoro, just not DHL as well). I just noticed it is sold out on their website. :-/

One thing that's a little odd is that the temperature range for the original oil tops out at what I would consider right in the middle of normal riding temperature range: 25°C / 77° F. It would be very common for me to leave home in the morning with temperatures around 18° C / 65° F and by afternoon it would be 32° C / 89° F. They mentioned that some riders make a 50/50 blend of both oil grades ("Original" and "Plus 25") to address this issue, making me wonder why they don't just offer the blend as the all-rounder oil.

I seem to recall that Tutoro offers a "high temperature" blend for hot climates. However, this is why I have been using the full synthetic 5W40 for years. Your mileage may vary regarding grade. Some users complained about the reservoir yellowing/cracking. None of mine have, but I learned they also used conventional ester-based oil. It may have something to do with it. So beware.
 
It is very nice you are getting favorable results Stich. I had a Tutoro on the CB1100 and NC750XD. I have one on the CRF1000L.

Another benefit is no electrical to fuss with.
 
Back
Top