Chain lube

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have been using dupont chain lube in the yellow can like this one.

Amazon.com: DuPont Chain-Saver Wax-Based Lubricant Aerosol 11 fl oz | Keeps Chain Clean - Lubricant Will Not Fling Off Chain - O-Ring Safe : Sports & Outdoors

Seems like it slings off a little and it may be my fault for putting it on too thick. Its really been a long time since I had a motorcycle with a chain. I put it on and let it sit for at least 30 minutes and usually more before I ride it.

I was thinking about trying the Honda stuff like this. Not sure who makes this for Honda but I have read some people really seem to like it.

Amazon.com

Its been so long since I had a chain driven motorcycle I am kinda out of the loop on this stuff. Anybody have any good recomendations on what seems to work well and doesnt fling off all over the place?
 
I used to use Maxima's Chain Wax. Spray it on while the chain is warm and it seeps into all the crevices. Then, as it cools it turns into a kinda waxy film. It didn't seem to sling off like other chain lubes.
 
Put your DuPont or any lube on thick then lightly wipe a rag under the bottom run for a couple of turns. That will remove the excess and what's left won't fly off but your chain will still have plenty of lube.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Put your DuPont or any lube on thick then lightly wipe a rag under the bottom run for a couple of turns. That will remove the excess and what's left won't fly off but your chain will still have plenty of lube.
Good tip Dean and I appreciate it. I think the excess is what is slinging all over my back wheel. Plus, I think I am putting it on too thick. I take a big part of the blame here. Its like learning how to drive again.
 
I just apply the lube AFTER a ride when the chain is warm.

Spray the goo on, walk away. Next time you ride it will have worked it's way into the crevices and thickened up.

No fling, no drama.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
I just apply the lube AFTER a ride when the chain is warm.

Spray the goo on, walk away. Next time you ride it will have worked it's way into the crevices and thickened up.

No fling, no drama.
Agree, I use DuPont in the yellow can, Like T I lube after a ride then spin it a few times, than with a shop rag and kerosene i clean the center stand, swing arm, rear wheel and excess on the sprocket. Reset trip 2 and I'm good for about 300 mi. Doesn't last as long as the thicker lubes but the chain stays much cleaner and looks like new.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Put your DuPont or any lube on thick then lightly wipe a rag under the bottom run for a couple of turns. That will remove the excess and what's left won't fly off but your chain will still have plenty of lube.
This Dupont stuff is the cat's meow. I live on a dirt road so keeping a clean chain is a real concern. As stated, wipe off the excess and wait at least a half hour. I have tried them all, and in my experience the Dupont brand is the only one that will not fling or pick up sand and dirt.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
Put your DuPont or any lube on thick then lightly wipe a rag under the bottom run for a couple of turns. That will remove the excess and what's left won't fly off but your chain will still have plenty of lube.
This Dupont stuff is the cat's meow. I live on a dirt road so keeping a clean chain is a real concern. As stated, wipe off the excess and wait at least a half hour. I have tried them all, and in my experience the Dupont brand is the only one that will not fling or pick up sand and dirt.
This Dupont stuff is the cat's meow. I live on a dirt road so keeping a clean chain is a real concern. As stated, wipe off the excess and wait at least a half hour. I have tried them all, and in my experience the Dupont brand is the only one that will not fling or pick up sand and dirt.
I've been using the Dupont lube for a few years and have stocked up on several cans of it now that they have discontinued the original formula and gone with a new formula that is reported to not be as good as the original.
Webike World has a review on the new formula.
My second choice (very close second) is Chain Wax.
 
With O-ring chains, a light lube like DuPont teflon works great. I use that and also the DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube in the orange can. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a heavy oil base will go a long way towards keeping things clean. The thick, heavy, dirt collecting lubes of the old days are for standard unsealed chains. O-rings don't need it.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
With O-ring chains, a light lube like DuPont teflon works great. I use that and also the DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube in the orange can. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a heavy oil base will go a long way towards keeping things clean. The thick, heavy, dirt collecting lubes of the old days are for standard unsealed chains. O-rings don't need it.
Reminds me of when I used to clean the chain before lubing it on my 98 CBR600.

Used to rotate the wheel, thus slipping the chain through an old T-shirt with WD-40 on it held around the chain. One day I was in a rush to go back out, so I put the bike in first at idle and tried the same technique. What I'd created was the worlds first Honda meat grinder with a 599cc inline four!

Needless to say, the t-shirt got snagged, dragged round the sprocket and chopped the top of my thumb off! I was surprisingly calm after seeing my nice white bone poking out. I pushed the bike back down to the garage, wiped some of the blood off the tank. Then walked to hospital with my arm aloft like I was saying "please Darwin, pick me!"
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
With O-ring chains, a light lube like DuPont teflon works great. I use that and also the DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube in the orange can. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a heavy oil base will go a long way towards keeping things clean. The thick, heavy, dirt collecting lubes of the old days are for standard unsealed chains. O-rings don't need it.
Reminds me of when I used to clean the chain before lubing it on my 98 CBR600.

Used to rotate the wheel, thus slipping the chain through an old T-shirt with WD-40 on it held around the chain. One day I was in a rush to go back out, so I put the bike in first at idle and tried the same technique. What I'd created was the worlds first Honda meat grinder with a 599cc inline four!

Needless to say, the t-shirt got snagged, dragged round the sprocket and chopped the top of my thumb off! I was surprisingly calm after seeing my nice white bone poking out. I pushed the bike back down to the garage, wiped some of the blood off the tank. Then walked to hospital with my arm aloft like I was saying "please Darwin, pick me!"
Seriously? Dayum!
 
OK I will bite, this should be a long thread. When I was in biss. we kept at least 7 brands in stock all the time.
What do I use? I use Bel Ray Super Clean. It doesn't come off , the only draw back is it is white in color and makes the chain look whitish .
 
I used up a can of Honda lube with Graphite and bought a new one. The new one seems much thinner. I loved the old stuff. Anyone know if Honda uses a different supplier? They did that with the cleaner they used to have and now that is Original Bike Spirits cleaner. I wonder if the same thing happened with the chain lube. I'll do some research.

I am not overly anal about this stuff. It's just that the last can I had worked great on the VFR. I had difficulty getting the chain "warm" enough. It seriously lubed so well the chain didn't heat up much.
 
I use the Pro Honda Chain Lube With White Graphite. Spray the chain every 500 miles. Clean the chain with kerosene every oil change. Buy only DID chains. I've gotten over 80,000 miles out of my chain. Got to love the current generation of o-ring chains, not like the old days when you would have to buy a new chain every time you put tires on the bike. TINK
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
With O-ring chains, a light lube like DuPont teflon works great. I use that and also the DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube in the orange can. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a heavy oil base will go a long way towards keeping things clean. The thick, heavy, dirt collecting lubes of the old days are for standard unsealed chains. O-rings don't need it.
Reminds me of when I used to clean the chain before lubing it on my 98 CBR600.

Used to rotate the wheel, thus slipping the chain through an old T-shirt with WD-40 on it held around the chain. One day I was in a rush to go back out, so I put the bike in first at idle and tried the same technique. What I'd created was the worlds first Honda meat grinder with a 599cc inline four!

Needless to say, the t-shirt got snagged, dragged round the sprocket and chopped the top of my thumb off! I was surprisingly calm after seeing my nice white bone poking out. I pushed the bike back down to the garage, wiped some of the blood off the tank. Then walked to hospital with my arm aloft like I was saying "please Darwin, pick me!"
Mate, here's me thinking that was one of those urban myths. If it wasn't so serious I would cack myself laughing. Of course I believe anything you say but a picture of the thumb might keep the demons of doubt at bay :).

Back to chain cleaning. I have been very happy with MOTUL Chain Clean, followed by MOTUL (Road) Chain Lube. Minimal fling and keeps there in wet etc.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
With O-ring chains, a light lube like DuPont teflon works great. I use that and also the DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube in the orange can. Pretty much anything that doesn't have a heavy oil base will go a long way towards keeping things clean. The thick, heavy, dirt collecting lubes of the old days are for standard unsealed chains. O-rings don't need it.
Reminds me of when I used to clean the chain before lubing it on my 98 CBR600.

Used to rotate the wheel, thus slipping the chain through an old T-shirt with WD-40 on it held around the chain. One day I was in a rush to go back out, so I put the bike in first at idle and tried the same technique. What I'd created was the worlds first Honda meat grinder with a 599cc inline four!

Needless to say, the t-shirt got snagged, dragged round the sprocket and chopped the top of my thumb off! I was surprisingly calm after seeing my nice white bone poking out. I pushed the bike back down to the garage, wiped some of the blood off the tank. Then walked to hospital with my arm aloft like I was saying "please Darwin, pick me!"
Mate, here's me thinking that was one of those urban myths. If it wasn't so serious I would cack myself laughing. Of course I believe anything you say but a picture of the thumb might keep the demons of doubt at bay :).

Back to chain cleaning. I have been very happy with MOTUL Chain Clean, followed by MOTUL (Road) Chain Lube. Minimal fling and keeps there in wet etc.

Cheers
It's not an unusual occurrence. I was on a bike forum a few years back where someone did the same thing and ended up cutting off the tips of a few fingers. Unfortunately, he did post pics. Yechhh!
 
Strewth, what next? Checking petrol level by the light of a match. Welding up a fume filled petrol tank. Cutting up UXBs for scrap with an oxy torch. Running your CB up to the limit while on the centre stand. Ah well I can only assume paradise is not all that bad.

Cheers
 
I agree with CA200... BelRay Super clean. He's right, the chain does turn somewhat white. But when applied to a warm chain (after a ride), and allowed to cool completely; it doesn't come off... no fuss, no muss.
 
Back
Top