Chain lube

The ferret_imp said:
Motorcyclist Magazine just came and has a great article on chain maintenance including how and when to lube, and if WD 40 acts negatively on chains. Interesting article.
Is the article available online or only in print?
 
they say they have a comprehensive video on the subect at motorcyclistonline.com but I can't find it.
 
Yep that's it. Thanks.

There will be drag, some brake, some chain and sprocket on any rear wheel. They won't just spin free. If I get a chance tomorrow I will give mine a good spin and see how well it rotates, but if it made it one full revolution, I'd be suprised
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yep that's it. Thanks.

There will be drag, some brake, some chain and sprocket on any rear wheel. They won't just spin free. If I get a chance tomorrow I will give mine a good spin and see how well it rotates, but if it made it one full revolution, I'd be suprised
Thank you, Mr F...
 
Just finished lubing my chain with the Dupont Teflon material...

I tried to be as careful as possible, cardboard shield, wiped excess, etc. I'm sure like others, I probably over did it. Directions say to let it dry 30 minutes before riding. Mine will dry 24 hours, lol.

Hope to ride tomorrow - predicted 53F.
 
I have put more than 38,000mi on a '05 VFR chain without ever having to adjust it, let alone replace it. The stock sprockets and chain both look clean and new. The darn thing may last forever. The secret? Every 500mi it gets cleaned and lube as the manual specifies.

I clean the chain with Honda chain cleaner (or brake & contact cleaner) until it looks completely clean. This done on the center stand, doing about 12 links at a time, spraying lightly and wiping, then rotating the wheel by hand. I place the cleaning rag I'm using behind the chain so the cleaner doesn't overspray.

Once clean, I put the bike in first and let it idle to spin the rear wheel (make darn sure it's not going to touch the ground while spinning before trying this). I lightly spray on Honda chain lube on the links & o-rings while holding an old cereal box or piece of cardboard behind the chain to catch overspray. It takes only a few revolutions to get enough on.

A can of lube lasts virtually forever. The cleaner is good for about a dozen sessions.

I've only got 2,000mi on the CB1100 but I suspect the results will be the same over time.
 
Back in the "old days" (1975), I used good ole fashion spray Gunk degreaser on my CB550 Four chain, then used a lube (have long forgotten which one). That degreaser was amazing, although now I don't know if it did the chain any harm. But it got CLEAN very, very quickly.

Not sure just yet what kind of chain cleaner I'll use... Only 111 miles on my CB1100.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yep that's it. Thanks.

There will be drag, some brake, some chain and sprocket on any rear wheel. They won't just spin free. If I get a chance tomorrow I will give mine a good spin and see how well it rotates, but if it made it one full revolution, I'd be suprised
quietguy.. went out tonight and put a piece of green frog tape at the 3:00 position on my rear wheel. Gave it a pretty hard spin and it made one revolution and the green tape ended up at the 6:00 position so 1 1/4 turns. Did it several times and it always made it just past one complete revolution.
 
Thank you for the report-back, Mr F.

I spent some time lubing my chain this morning. I tried to spin my wheel but couldn't get it anywhere near a complete revolution. I'm going to attribute this mostly to being essentially a new, unbroken in bike. Brake pads are new, chain hasn't flexed out any, etc. I had no problem rolling the wheel on it's axis but it's still tight. I suspect it will "loosen" up some after logging a couple thousand miles on her.

Thanks again for taking your time to do a test, appreciated.

... qg
 
quietguy_imp said:
Back in the "old days" (1975), I used good ole fashion spray Gunk degreaser on my CB550 Four chain, then used a lube (have long forgotten which one). That degreaser was amazing, although now I don't know if it did the chain any harm. But it got CLEAN very, very quickly.

Not sure just yet what kind of chain cleaner I'll use... Only 111 miles on my CB1100.
Those were the days before sealed O-ring chains. You could pretty much use any strong solvent to clean your chain without worry. Nowadays you need to use a solvent that's chemically compatible with the O-rings. Something like WD-40 or kerosene will do the job. I use kerosene because I like to really give the chain a good soaking to get the grit out. WD can get a bit expensive in those quantities.

After cleaning, wipe all the solvent off, spray on a light lube and you should be ready to go.
 
When I got my 14 DLX I was determined not to "over lube" the chain. As a matter of fact I started out just spraying chain lube on a rag, wrapping the rag around the chain on the bottom track and rolling the wheel by hand to get a light film of lube on the chain. That lasted probably 8 or 10,000 miles before I got lazy and poured the chain lube on with a spray nozzle..both inside interface and outside interface. Now it's a greasy mess along with my hub, rim etc lol

Old habits are hard to break even if you know better lol
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
I have put more than 38,000mi on a '05 VFR chain without ever having to adjust it, let alone replace it. The stock sprockets and chain both look clean and new. The darn thing may last forever. The secret? Every 500mi it gets cleaned and lube as the manual specifies.

I clean the chain with Honda chain cleaner (or brake & contact cleaner) until it looks completely clean. This done on the center stand, doing about 12 links at a time, spraying lightly and wiping, then rotating the wheel by hand. I place the cleaning rag I'm using behind the chain so the cleaner doesn't overspray.

Once clean, I put the bike in first and let it idle to spin the rear wheel (make darn sure it's not going to touch the ground while spinning before trying this). I lightly spray on Honda chain lube on the links & o-rings while holding an old cereal box or piece of cardboard behind the chain to catch overspray. It takes only a few revolutions to get enough on.

A can of lube lasts virtually forever. The cleaner is good for about a dozen sessions.

I've only got 2,000mi on the CB1100 but I suspect the results will be the same over time.
Joe, that's incredible. Can you remove the rear wheel on the VFR for a rear tire change without removing the chain from the rear sprocket? My chain on my CB gets re-adjusted when the wheel is removed for a new rear tire, but hasn't required any adjustments between tire changes that I can remember. These new chains are simply amazing.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
I have been using dupont chain lube in the yellow can like this one.

Amazon.com

Seems like it slings off a little and it may be my fault for putting it on too thick. Its really been a long time since I had a motorcycle with a chain. I put it on and let it sit for at least 30 minutes and usually more before I ride it.

I was thinking about trying the Honda stuff like this. Not sure who makes this for Honda but I have read some people really seem to like it.

Amazon.com

Its been so long since I had a chain driven motorcycle I am kinda out of the loop on this stuff. Anybody have any good recomendations on what seems to work well and doesnt fling off all over the place?
Used to use that product and a few others. Now just spray and wipe with WD-40 about twice a year - period. I used to clean and wipe with kerosene, but WD-40 is actually okay. I get the gravity fed chain oiler do the rest of the lubing.
 
I use combination of few, depending on the trip: wax, WD40, copper spray or/and Wurth HHS2000-water repellent clear spray - especially going on few/several day long distance rainy trips
 
There was an article posted on this forum a year or so ago. It showed exploded diagrams of a chain and explained how the O-rings keep the chain factory lube inside the chain. After reading that I realized all that greasy stuff I was using and cleaning off my rear hub and spokes was only protecting the chain from rusting.

I changed from messy chain lube to Tirox synthetic chain wax. No more grubby spokes and rear hub. It can be removed with chain cleaner, I use Motul. It is also easy to see when you spin the rear wheel what you have sprayed because it goes on white and then dries clear. No more dreaming about an aftermarket shaft drive for my CB.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
There was an article posted on this forum a year or so ago. It showed exploded diagrams of a chain and explained how the O-rings keep the chain factory lube inside the chain. After reading that I realized all that greasy stuff I was using and cleaning off my rear hub and spokes was only protecting the chain from rusting.

I changed from messy chain lube to Tirox synthetic chain wax. No more grubby spokes and rear hub. It can be removed with chain cleaner, I use Motul. It is also easy to see when you spin the rear wheel what you have sprayed because it goes on white and then dries clear. No more dreaming about an aftermarket shaft drive for my CB.
:thumbsup:

Nortoon_imp said:
There was an article posted on this forum a year or so ago. It showed exploded diagrams of a chain and explained how the O-rings keep the chain factory lube inside the chain. After reading that I realized all that greasy stuff I was using and cleaning off my rear hub and spokes was only protecting the chain from rusting.

I changed from messy chain lube to Tirox synthetic chain wax. No more grubby spokes and rear hub. It can be removed with chain cleaner, I use Motul. It is also easy to see when you spin the rear wheel what you have sprayed because it goes on white and then dries clear. No more dreaming about an aftermarket shaft drive for my CB.
Dreaming of an aftermarket shaft drive? You mean there might be hope? :)
 
Back
Top