Chain Lube

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
I hope this is the nearest I'll get to starting an oil thread.

An interesting video from FortNine about chain lube.


 
Very interesting video Cormanus.
 
FYI, FortNIne is a Canadian online supplier of just about everything related to bikes - except the bikes themselves. They have or can get all the name-brand products.
No need now for Canadians to cross-border shop in the U.S. and I am a satisfied customer.
 
I am surprized he used Maxima Chain Wax which is nothing more than paraffin. They sell Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax which is slightly less expensive for a large spray can. Fort Nine is one of the few place you can buy it, unless you want to pay 3 times as much on Amazon.

According to the spray can print Tirox utilizes a proprietary two-stage chemical and electrical charge process joining nano-synthetics with a PTFE infusion, virtually eliminating chain and sprocket wear.

I use Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax and find that it does not fling or gather a lot of grit. That keeps the chain, chain guard, rear wheel spokes and rim much cleaner than anything else I have tried.

The warning information is scary, and to back it up a pair of nitrile safety gloves come stuffed in the cap.
 
I stopped using those spray on wax type chain lubes after my original chain got all kinky (for lack of a better term) I only use gear oil now, only enough to coat the outside to keep rust away. I’m on my second chain now with over 58,000 miles on my bike. It’s lasted longer than the original.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Love those FortNine videos! Been using Maxima for years. Probably will continue to do so, but at least now I know I'm wrong.
 
Thanks for the video , it made me feel good that I use 80/90 gear oil.
It is cheap and my DID X ring chain is well protected from the factory within the rollers.
 
LikeAfox_imp said:
While we on the subject, can someone recommend a good replacement chain? Funky color not required, but won't be turned down :D
I got the silver plated DID 530 ZVM_X , very nice chain and easy to keep clean.
 
+1 for DID. Last one I bought was more noisy than an OEM, but worked great and lasted many many miles.
 
I've always used DID x-ring chains as replacements. Never had a bad one. The VX series comes in 530 pitch and the required 100 link length.

I haven't had to replace the OEM DID chain on the CB1100 yet (29K miles on it), but I did use a DID VX2 the last time on the CB750. It's got over 33K miles on it and still looks great.
 
Anyone try Tirox chain lube yet? Been reading about it, supposed to be the best thing since manned flight.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Anyone try Tirox chain lube yet? Been reading about it, supposed to be the best thing since manned flight.
I use Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax which I bought from Fort Nine. I don't know why they did not use it in the tests instead of Maximus which is just paraffin.

See my comments in page 1 of this thread.
 
+1 Nortoon. Tirox is by far the best chain lube I've tried. Zero fling when dried, does not pick up dirt, and provides rust protection.
 
Back
Top