Chain Lube Type and Frequency?

Nappi185_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi Guys, New CB1100EX owner here. I see that much like motor oil, there are countless different brands and types of chain lube on the market. I see chain lube, chain wax, etc., etc. Any advice on what to use and how often to apply it. I assume it is just as simple as it would seem: Put it up on the center stand and spin the rear wheel slowly while spraying it directly on the chain? Thanks, Nappi
 
Congrats on your new CB and welcome! Everyone has their own opinions and preferences, but if you wanted trusted guidance without any added anxiety, simply use Pro Honda Chain Lube (either Moly or White Graphite) and follow the application directions in your owner's manual. There's nothing wrong with that.
 
I have tried the pro Honda stuff and prefer the Original Bike Spirits white graphite version better. It is a bit thicker and stays on better. I use the Ferret method:. Put it on the center stand, turn the bike on and put it in first and hit the side plates and rollers as they go by. Use the little plastic tube that comes with the can and watch ur fingers.
 
I've tried it all and I'm sticking with PJ1 Blue Label.
[ul] [li]Low fling[/li] [li]Long-lasting[/li] [li]Minimizes dirt accumulation[/li] [li]Prevents rust (especially in the presence of salt on roads)
[/li][/ul]
I'm not a fan of the "goes on wet then dries" lubes because they don't prevent rust.



Chain cleaner that I use (keep plenty on hand) is Maxima Clean Up Chain Cleaner.

219cf7e8bbf42171d1a1ea4dfe76fc32.jpg

The Tirox 360 chain brush works very well.

 
New Hondas come with the chains lubed with what looks like a white grease of some sort. I like the way it looks which I know is not the important thing, but if it does its job, then maybe I'd try using it. Trouble is that my dealer uses the Pro Honda lube which is not the same stuff. So, anyone know what Honda uses, how difficult it is to apply, and/or where I can buy it?
 
I got some free chain lube from Repsol several years ago and after using up that small can I bought more of it because it's good stuff. It's easy to get just enough of it on the chain and it doesn't fling off.
 
I use the Bel Ray Super clean too... the same way, on the center stand and in 1st gear. I generally lube the chain every 500 miles. I've cleaned the chain once... and have never adjusted it. I've got 5500 miles on the bike (stop laughing Ferret) and the slack is well within the limits. Good luck with your new bike!
 
I will be the outlier.

While I change my oil religiously- that is because I understand the tight clearances of rings to cyl and cam journals.

I have never and will never lube an O-ring chain. The rollers are the main friction point and are internally lubed and sealed from outside environmental interference. Any friction from the end plates or teeth is only going to be exacerbated by grit stuck into whatever substance you guys are adding.

Please explain to me how externally lubing a roller contacting a sprocket tooth is helping anything?

Any initial speed difference is going to spin the internally lubricated roller. Anything caught between the roller and tooth (your lube and stuck to lube grit) is going to get ground down- removing material from both the tooth and sprocket. Any lube and grit that manages to make it between the outer sideplate and inner link is again only adding friction and wear.

I'm pretty sure all this exists just to sell product, both in lube and chain/sprocket.

If I am wrong- then I only am out by a few thousand miles. Chain and sprockets are easy and cheap.

IMO- a waste of time, money, and mess.... modern marketing..
 
I use White Lightning chain wax every couple thousand miles. Seems to work fine, even use it on my bicycle chain to prevent rust. I also run my chain a little tighter than OM recommends. Makes downshifting a bit easier.
 
Dubs, interesting perspective. How many miles do you get from a chain and sprocket set?

One concern about dry metal-to-metal contact is galling, if the surface hardnesses are similar. Do you think that, to counteract galling, that the rollers for example are harder than the sprocket or vice versa?

You've really got me curious now.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Dubs, interesting perspective. How many miles do you get from a chain and sprocket set?

One concern about dry metal-to-metal contact is galling, if the surface hardnesses are similar. Do you think that, to counteract galling, that the rollers for example are harder than the sprocket or vice versa?

You've really got me curious now.

No idea yet- I guess we will find out though. :)
 
and i use since any years motorex- road- strong

Google Search:

-----------------------------------------------------

there are 2 philosophies

sticky

oily (Rather fluid)

Both have their advantages and disadvantages


and
for lazy peoples the chain lube systems
 
Back
Top