Central Oregon on my KLR650

Thread starter
Django_imp said:
Love this thread!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 4 mit Tapatalk
Cool, thanks! It's about over...

Ran into some forest fire smoke...ugh!
8735a2433ac78f02030369c9378e01cc.jpg

c687931c10569531543b8d4f1559e7f8.jpg


Had to change directions and head north instead of crossing Mt. Hood area
7f577b79024278a05843ffd572360bca.jpg

b98137b539a8d36ab3b57f5a1a4d3293.jpg

d0ca510774054dc56d6e44f4da741915.jpg

2efce8f1495f1da05340a490b5556be5.jpg


Tried to camp one more night
47f2b653316281cab8ea628998dc878c.jpg

c60906b08790454855eafb9d8fcc6d62.jpg


But smoke changed directions and so I had to pack up at 1am and head for home! Made it by 4am.

Very fun trip. If you want the whole story
 
Magnificent journey with spectacular views/pics.
Well done and thank you for sharing it with us Pdedse.
:thumbsup:
 
Great report pdedse. I recommend the whole story to anyone who hasn't read it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the replies. Mile wise, it was only a 750 mile trip spread out over 5 riding days, but the KLR650 is the type of bike that invites (demands?) you to slow down, take your time and explore things a bit.
 
Thread starter
I thought I'd add to last summer's trip with one I just finished. This time, more southern-central to eastern OR.

Day 1: leave Gresham, head south on I-5 to Eugene, then take hiway 58 to cross the Cascades. All decked out and ready to explore
06772ca1ec470fee47666e1b2daa901a.jpg


3e8bfa78fb60c05c3a899c113e59c763.jpg


Lake Odell
41b8d2bb271e38a67f652e5d70e413ec.jpg


First night camping...COLD! Note: don't use lightweight sleeping bag in September in the mountains.
c1290d82d355eb32cc190d7ac00196d5.jpg


Day 2: to Lakeview and end up in Plush

Between Chiloquin and Lakeview
81b39dddb444e7ed2f18abc401978b1f.jpg


fe28a88a5af19c7bf87b9e41713e2c7c.jpg


fb6e33c464e3b4c8b27d58da1f945f8d.jpg


a174a23bd0e663291b90d6cafd3287c2.jpg


I bedded down at a town park / camp site in Plush. It was plush because the grass was thick and green--perfect to pitch a tent on because it's so soft...it's also a desert area and the reason the grass was so lush and plush was because they water it with automatic sprinklers that dump at ton of water on you if you choose to camp here on Sundays at 9:15pm. Luckily, my rain fly worked well, but my helmet got a good rinsing.
 
pdedse_imp said:
I thought I'd add to last summer's trip with one I just finished. This time, more southern-central to eastern OR.

Day 1: leave Gresham, head south on I-5 to Eugene, then take hiway 58 to cross the Cascades. All decked out and ready to explore
06772ca1ec470fee47666e1b2daa901a.jpg


3e8bfa78fb60c05c3a899c113e59c763.jpg


Lake Odell
41b8d2bb271e38a67f652e5d70e413ec.jpg


First night camping...COLD! Note: don't use lightweight sleeping bag in September in the mountains.
c1290d82d355eb32cc190d7ac00196d5.jpg


Day 2: to Lakeview and end up in Plush

Between Chiloquin and Lakeview
81b39dddb444e7ed2f18abc401978b1f.jpg


fe28a88a5af19c7bf87b9e41713e2c7c.jpg


fb6e33c464e3b4c8b27d58da1f945f8d.jpg


a174a23bd0e663291b90d6cafd3287c2.jpg


I bedded down at a town park / camp site in Plush. It was plush because the grass was thick and green--perfect to pitch a tent on because it's so soft...it's also a desert area and the reason the grass was so lush and plush was because they water it with automatic sprinklers that dump at ton of water on you if you choose to camp here on Sundays at 9:15pm. Luckily, my rain fly worked well, but my helmet got a good rinsing.
Agreed, great shot.
 
Thread starter
Day 3

I was so happy my tent kept everything inside the tent dry, now I know I should be good if I get caught in a rain storm on a trip. I wasn't in a great hurry so I let the morning sun dry things out a bit.

As of 2019, the internet says Plush had 95 residents, while in '17 it had only 45...what's that 111% increase in two years? Imagine if your city's population doubled in 2 years! Everybody is coming here here...just as I was heading out of town, these guys were moving in:

298c2315d9e87056076be88b242dc85c.jpg


On the way to the Antelope Refuge in the Hart Mountain area...

b901eb9b84f21383ff42a25d1a5d63b1.jpg


916352516826f3ec2f423bcbb3e6b9fa.jpg


Heading up to where there are some hot springs...
f0fc42f1e074bcbcc209eea750ba2761.jpg


9303c6053a3f096229f9d9315e888197.jpg


After two nights camping and wearing a lot of desert dust, this was a welcome relief...
24b7684c0f8c9cfe934c171a0319d03f.jpg


2dfae57c9b2f0f5c1b7c50657482f23b.jpg


After lunch and a bath, I got to see a few antelope...love to watch them run.
6dfb6d52226c44c3870499388cfdabed.jpg


About 40 miles of loose gravel, not too difficult, 30-50 mph for me.
829c47a5f59f5c8d00d3fafb29381473.jpg


A little bit of forest fire haze
721ccf593ce5a7681e63be8061f5ba31.jpg


6b6e4cd42cc555a9b94f2bd84968db14.jpg


A very nice day 3. I was out here to explore the area for a longer trip in the future. I wanted to get into the Steens Mt. area, but I need 6-7 days instead of 4.
 
I love that somebody actually hauled a ladder, concrete and bricks up to the hot spring and then took the time and effort to build a private little pool area in the middle of nowhere. And no graffiti!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the comments...I know it's on the KLR, but I don't belong to a KLR specific site.

Whoops_imp said:
I love that somebody actually hauled a ladder, concrete and bricks up to the hot spring and then took the time and effort to build a private little pool area in the middle of nowhere. And no graffiti!
A lot of the camping ammenities are free out in this area of OR...Plush didn't charge, and the Hart campground at the base of the mountain is real nice with potable water, clean bathrooms, amazing views of Hart Mt., space between the sites--and no fee charged.

The roads are gravel, but in good condition to the hot springs up top and all about the mountain. But the hot springs are a definite draw to the surrounding campground there. It would be nice to set up camp, do day hikes and rides, go for high desert run...and then have the spring to come back to and soak your bones in the warm water.

Whoops_imp said:
I love that somebody actually hauled a ladder, concrete and bricks up to the hot spring and then took the time and effort to build a private little pool area in the middle of nowhere. And no graffiti!
Good think I held off from writing my own hieroglyphics on the stones!


Day 4 (yesterday)...

Couldn't sleep much so I started the coffee at 4am...quite cold again.
a70b37ae96759a8f81724b55ccba000f.jpg


4b66688a06595966dadc2085aa6acdb8.jpg


Heading towards Prineville on route 27...not many people about, just the two of us
b91e307acfd9238093a4a92da85e30dd.jpg


Prinevill Reservoir
cff565cea26cca1638c0dcc7dd5b979e.jpg


Yes, I removed the rock
c3ef79a683ecc72b741db870033b8f25.jpg


Crooked River
2cb25a72a7fa543dd315329d632d230a.jpg


The trip basically ended for me at Prineville as hiway 26 to Madras and the over the Mt. Hood area and down to Gresham is 135 miles, but also quite familiar to me. It was a great trip that's going to be used to plan next summer's trip to the Steens Mt. area. 850 miles over 4 days of riding.

The red is part of this route, the blue...next year.
1b9fab315e4639c06ea41737ec70c07c.jpg
 
Your pictures are fantastic and so what if they are on a KLR. Those are great bikes and I enjoy reading your trip reports.

One of your pictures made me wince though and I know I am going to sound like a mother hen and should probably just shut up, but holy cow that seems so dangerous!
 
And then there was more. Great stuff, pdedse. At as well the rock missed you.

Your friend is almost as tall as you are!
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
Your pictures are fantastic and so what if they are on a KLR. Those are great bikes and I enjoy reading your trip reports.

One of your pictures made me wince though and I know I am going to sound like a mother hen and should probably just shut up, but holy cow that seems so dangerous!

Wait, which photo? The cow stampede?
 
pdedse_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Your pictures are fantastic and so what if they are on a KLR. Those are great bikes and I enjoy reading your trip reports.

One of your pictures made me wince though and I know I am going to sound like a mother hen and should probably just shut up, but holy cow that seems so dangerous!

Wait, which photo? The cow stampede?

Wait, which photo? The cow stampede?
No, the stove lit inside the tent.
 
Thread starter
Whoops_imp said:
pdedse_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Your pictures are fantastic and so what if they are on a KLR. Those are great bikes and I enjoy reading your trip reports.

One of your pictures made me wince though and I know I am going to sound like a mother hen and should probably just shut up, but holy cow that seems so dangerous!

Wait, which photo? The cow stampede?

Wait, which photo? The cow stampede?
No, the stove lit inside the tent.
Oh, that! I suppose tent material is flammable and all that, but I was pretty restless not being able to fall asleep and it was much too cold and dirty and dusty to try to make coffee outside. If there were kids around, maybe dangerous. But I was sitting smack in front of the flame, holding the pan on it the whole time. Seemed safe enough. I let that stove warm me up for a good hour.

And if the tent did catch on fire, well, it was my last night! : )
 
Back
Top